Crazy doe = crazy kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birds Buns N Bees

Reaction score
Recently I picked up a bred himi Mini Rex doe. The breeder I got her from told me, "good luck with that doe... she's a witch". I kind of shrugged it off; I've had unfriendly rabbits before and have usually been able to tame them down fairly easily. But whoa, this doe is unlike any other I've had. She is just plain crazy-psycho. I'm sure part of her problem is that she's frightened in a new environment, but now I'm a bit concerned that, if and when she kindles, she might influence her kits to have similar behavior. I have another doe that is due the same day as the himi, and now I'm wondering if I should just foster the himi's kits to the other doe if neither doe has a large litter.
I was excited to start a himi project, and this doe, physically, is a very nice specimen (2nd place jr. himi doe at Convention), but now I'm having second thoughts because of how unstable this doe seems to be.

if the past owner said that the doe was a 'witch' it sounds genetic, and it CAN be passed down from doe to kits. Mini Rex are supposed to be very friendly because they are a pet bred, you can try to switch out kits but if the doe doesn't trust you and if it is genetic then the kits may not ether.

I had a mean doe when I first started and she kindled with 7. all 7 were little prats that needed to go to the meat pen.

no cookie for the past breeder that didn't keep an eye on temperament in MR

I would think it worthwhile to foster her kits to see if perhaps it's not genetic, and you can get a nice replacement from her.

But it is possible that it is genetic, and her kits will be as nuts as she is, no matter who raises them.

There are some high anxiety temperaments that are heritable.

It doesn't mean that every rabbit produced by that animal will be mean or skittish. Often, bucks can still grow up "nice" but they can still throw more neurotic does.

If it is genetic, fostering probably won't help. I've read about quite a few people's experiences trying to to foster the kits to does who produce nice ones and still having poor temperaments in the kits.

It could give you a chance to handle the kits more though, since it can be difficult with aggressive does.

With temperamental bunnies I agree there is a genetic component, and personally I cull for temperament, as it costs the same to feed a nice one as it does a mean one. But if her type is really nice you can try breeding her to a super mellow buck and fostering the babies. Because the babies do learn from mom what interacting with people is like.

I have two sisters ..their mom is super mellow( she even gave birth in front of me and let me hold the very new born kits)..One is laid back the other was afraid of everything until she had kits. then she turned into psycho doe, growling,boxing lunging..no biting though.. once the kits were furred out and eyes are open she is nice but still a little spooky. She has done this with two litters.She is only going to make it until the end of breeding season...Her kits are spooky as well...until they get away from mom.....If it's genetic she didn't get it from her mom...and we handled both does the same... :?

If this is her first litter, I would wait and see how it goes. I had a temperamental doe who mellowed out a lot after her first litter. Maybe you'll get lucky, too.

*fingers crossed*

There may be hope yet! :clover:

When mammals give birth (and breast feed) they release a hormone called prolactin, which is nick-named "the feel good hormone" because it produces a loving euphoria in the mother. You can take advantage of this by petting her for a few minutes every day once she kindles. She will relate that feeling to you, which will hopefully solve your immediate problem. :)

That way you can at least socialize her kits and see how they turn out temperament wise.

My daughter has about a dozen mini Rex (she is going to sell out though) and some of them are nasty little things. Our stock came from adult exhibitors (one of whom is also a judge) and I think they breed solely for the show table and temperament is moot.

I think part of the problem with this doe is that she doesn't see too well. I don't know if this is a side-effect of her pink eyes or what. When she sits still, her head constantly scans slightly, back and forth. Once she got used to her new surroundings, she's (mostly) calmed down, but there have been times when I have reached into her cage to pet her and she has't seemed to see my hand until it was right in front of her face, at which point she startles. When I give her hay, the rustling noise scares her and she ricochets off the walls of her cage in pure panic mode. I'm not sure what to make of her. She doesn't seem mean, but rather "unstable". If she's bred (palpation was inconclusive), she'll be due Saturday, and I'm still considering fostering her kits if she has any.

The rew v-lop buck I had who scanned was probably one of the most relaxed animals I've ever encountered. Not saying that poor vision isn't not a contributing factor....but...
ricochets off the walls of her cage in pure panic mode
sounds pretty crazy.

Well, you will know when she calms down with time and repeated exposure...or just doesn't.
If she never calms down, I wouldn't suggest saving any kits as future brood stock.

Zass":105g3rxe said:
The rew v-lop buck I had who scanned was probably one of the most relaxed animals I've ever encountered.

Ditto here with the JW buck I had that scanned.

Back