roughhousing with a freindly dog can be hazardous

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
The neighbor's very friendly dog just wanted to play so he played and I paid. :(

Attachments

• dog damage 2.jpg
    dog damage 2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 805
My akita almost made that oopsy when she was a year old. She grabbed my arm through a sweatshirt but I moved into her mouth before she could really pull and she realized her mistake quickly. I had a couple shallow teeth grooves and some soreness and bruising from the amount of force she squished my arm with. She never made that mistake again. We teach very good bite inhibition and she has developed a very soft mouth since.

Yeowch! :eek:

Next time maybe you should play a safe game of fetch. ;) You might also make a tug toy for him- if you have an old pair of jeans you can cut long narrow strips and braid them and tie some knots along the length for a sturdy (and free!) toy.

Do you have any Vetericyn on hand for the bunnies? It works great on people too. I use it on myself all of the time. :)

MamaSheepdog":2i7rblnf said:
Yeowch! :eek:

Next time maybe you should play a safe game of fetch. ;) You might also make a tug toy for him- if you have an old pair of jeans you can cut long narrow strips and braid them and tie some knots along the length for a sturdy (and free!) toy.

Do you have any Vetericyn on hand for the bunnies? It works great on people too. I use it on myself all of the time. :)

It was a game of fetch, until he changed the rules! :lol: I was about to throw a stick for him when he grabbed the stick in his mouth and raked his claws across my arm. Probably most people would not have been injured but I had two strikes against me. Number one, a shirt sleeve too short for my long arms and number two, 73 year old skin which tears easily. It wasn't the dog's fault at all. Now my dog constantly want's to fix it for me by licking my wounds. I'd prefer he keep his tongue to himself. :lol:

jeannie":kojfs89f said:
Are you up to date with your tetanus vaccination?

Tetanus bacteria only flourish in low light, low oxygen environments- i.e. deep puncture wounds. It wont survive in a surface scratch. :) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:32 am __________ <br /><br />
coyotejoe":kojfs89f said:
It was a game of fetch, until he changed the rules! :lol: I was about to throw a stick for him when he grabbed the stick in his mouth and raked his claws across my arm.

Naughty!

coyotejoe":kojfs89f said:
73 year old skin which tears easily.

73? :thinking: Surely that must be a typo!

Be careful with them dogs. I have a golden lab that loves to play rough. She is always scratching my arms up like that. My skin tears easily also due to the working all my life outside, blood thinners and other meds I take.

I usually clean the wound,hold pressure on it till blood flow slows down then put a bandage with raw local honey on it. It heals faster like that then putting any anti-biotic on. :)

Hey, can I use these statements from you all in a court as evidence that some people DO understand that not not injuries from dogs mean the dog is a "dangerous" animal? Ii have a prosecutor willing to look at all the false claims against Gunny and perhaps set my ignorant neighbors, and the dog warden, straight!

Frosted Rabbits":2u3fpx5r said:
Hey, can I use these statements from you all in a court as evidence that some people DO understand that not not injuries from dogs mean the dog is a "dangerous" animal?

Feel free to use mine. :)

We had a Great Dane pup once that had "a record"- Hubs was lying on the floor with him and Klaus accidentally pawed him in the face and scratched his eye. Apparently all dog related injuries (not just bites!) that are treated by a physician need to be reported, at least in California. :roll:

coyotejoe":3cp46yfg said:
Now my dog constantly want's to fix it for me by licking my wounds. I'd prefer he keep his tongue to himself. :lol:
Dog licking can actually help heal some things, though I don't know why.

My mom's mother had some sort of skin problem on her foot once, and their dog started licking it. She tried to get him to stop, but he still did it at every opportunity. The problem, for which she had been to the dermatologist and it had responded to nothing he had thrown at it, started clearing up with the licking. Once she realized that, she let him lick it as much as he wanted. It resolved quickly.

I've heard other stories, too. :)

Miss M":3970tzqo said:
My mom's mother had some sort of skin problem on her foot once, and their dog started licking it. She tried to get him to stop, but he still did it at every opportunity. The problem, for which she had been to the dermatologist and it had responded to nothing he had thrown at it, started clearing up with the licking. Once she realized that, she let him lick it as much as he wanted. It resolved quickly.

Whoa! :fainting:

I have never connected this until your post, but when I was a little girl, my mom had a chronic nail fungus on her toenails. Nothing cured it, and she must have had it for at least twenty or more years.

It "spontaneously" went away- when we had a dog that liked to lick what we thought was the lotion she put on her feet. I guess Toboggan was actually a healer dressed in a furry white coat! Who knew?!? :lol:

Saliva contains various compounds to avoid mouth infections. People with dry mouth or who sleep with their mouth open often have far worse tooth and gum damage over their life. Dog mouths have been said to be cleaner than human mouths from stronger ability to kill bacteria.

Back