pedigree?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have a pedigreee question. A little backstory; I read the other post about the person buying the rabbits off craigslist and they seller had blacked out information. I had something similar happen when I purchased my Cinnamon breeding pair. My Buck has a pedigree, my Doe does not. The seller in my situation had blacked out her name and address, which is understandable but she also crossed out the name the original breeder gave him and she did it with permanent marker :eek:verreaction: . Now I was able to contact the original breeder :D , she confirmed that the rabbit (based on description), ear tattoo and pedigree were from her farm, but she could not tell me his original name; nor could she locate it. She had (she no longer breeds Cinnamon's) a habit of naming her bucks after coffee's and her does after soda's.

My question is, Is there anyway to uncover his original name. The name he has now is rather hokey. Thanks.

If you have contact with his original breeder, why don't you ask her if it's OK for you to name him and use her suffix? Or ask her to give him a new name?

Oh, and welcome to RT!!!

I don't think the name is such a big deal. As long as the ear tattoo matches the pedigree, I'd just give him a name and call it a day.

Weird blacking it out like that, but you just may be able to uncover the original name. The name ink and the marker ink are not the same.

Some text can be read through marker simply by tilting the page toward a light. Printer ink will usually be somewhat shiny, while the marker will be dull.

Other methods would be destructive to that part of the pedigree. Marker ink can frequently be dissolved by alcohol, for instance. But it will likely bleed into surrounding areas once it is wet. And, of course, there's the chance that alcohol will also dissolve the printer ink.

I'd say if you can't see the name by tilting it to the light, then Zass and Jen both have very good ideas. :)

Unless the Buck was registered where it could be looked up in the registry of the ARBA the name shouldn't really matter as long as you have the ear tattoo number and the original owner name, address, location, the chain of custody goes back to the original owner anyway. People rename rabbits all the time. It is nice to know the name but if you are keeping the pedigree you need the original owner. Because they are the ones that have the history of the rabbit.

Silver Cloud":27gjqc97 said:
Unless the Buck was registered where it could be looked up in the registry of the ARBA the name shouldn't really matter

:yeahthat: Name him whatever you want, but keep the breeder's prefix- in other words, don't name him with your rabbitry name, use theirs.

Thanks guys. I have talked with the breeder and she said I can call him what I want, she said her kids named him, but she didn't remember what and never got back to me on what his name was. It looks lIke Galao, but I bought him with the name Boe Boe. I don't plan on showing rabbits and I am purely doing this for meat, so the issue of tattoo and name don't really apply. I was just curious. His name from the breeder was written in ballpoint. So it's not shiny or anything.

She must have been writing on a hard surface, or you'd probably have readable impressions.

But sounds like you're off the hook anyway, if you were ever on it. :)

Maybe you could name him Galileo. :D Probably better than Bobo.

I might secretly call him Galileo, my in laws mentioned that in the musical Chicago "Roxie" (my does name) is in love with Amos and hubby likes Amos. Might just be stubborn and call him Galileo.

Back