Fixer Upper Cages!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I found some old cages in the barn. :p But they are covered with a bunch of junk. Some are hanging from the rafters. They appear to be for small rabbits.
:idea: The big question is provided they are not rusted out, would it be cheaper to fix them up? Size them up? Or should I just forget it and buy new? I know it depends on their condition, but that aside can 2 18x24x24 cage be turned into a 18x48x24 or 18x36x24?

How do you go about merging cages?

If you remove two sides completely, and J-clip the edges, is that strong enough? Does the floor seam present a hazard, shifting and catching foot fur, toenails, and testicles? :x

Or do you cut out the sides one space in from the edges, leaving enough wire to curl over so it doesn't scratch, and J-clip them like that?

I have been wondering what is the best way to do this. Not because I actually have cages to do it with, but just in case I ever do. Not that anyone ever sells used cages around here. :?

Miss M":ykayuskl said:
How do you go about merging cages?

If you remove two sides completely, and J-clip the edges, is that strong enough? Does the floor seam present a hazard, shifting and catching foot fur, toenails, and testicles? :x

Or do you cut out the sides one space in from the edges, leaving enough wire to curl over so it doesn't scratch, and J-clip them like that?

I have been wondering what is the best way to do this. Not because I actually have cages to do it with, but just in case I ever do. Not that anyone ever sells used cages around here. :?
These are the exact questions I'm running in to.
Should I place a support beam in the middle?
I was just wondering if anyone has done this and been successful?

I have refurbished at least 2 dozen cages over the last year. Some did need new floor wire but I was pleasantly surprised at how much a can of silver rustolem spray paint could spiff up even rusty cages that had been sitting in under a tree in someone's yard for years.

I started by spraying full strength white vinegar on the calcified urine patches and then pressure washed the whole cage. I also used a wire brush on the most stubborn areas. Then when they were dry I spray painted the whole cage. Ive been really please with the results and it's encouraged me to refurbish my own cages a few at a time.

Zass":ee4bhgbg said:
Grumpy assembles cages for his commercial rabbitry from used cages. There are some threads on it, let me see if I can find one...

used-cages-repurposed-t19587.html
I can't see from the pix exactly how he joined all that wire together... especially the floor.

alforddm":ee4bhgbg said:
I have seen two cages joined by leaving the walls attached and just cutting a "door" between the two.
I think I'd do this if I got my hands on some cages.

caroline":ee4bhgbg said:
I have refurbished at least 2 dozen cages over the last year. Some did need new floor wire but I was pleasantly surprised at how much a can of silver rustolem spray paint could spiff up even rusty cages that had been sitting in under a tree in someone's yard for years.

I started by spraying full strength white vinegar on the calcified urine patches and then pressure washed the whole cage. I also used a wire brush on the most stubborn areas. Then when they were dry I spray painted the whole cage. Ive been really please with the results and it's encouraged me to refurbish my own cages a few at a time.
It's my understanding that you can use any color of Rustoleum to do it, too. :p

We did this recently. Took the cages out, and put a folded paper towel below and on top of the calcium deposits, then saturated the towels with vinegar. Rinse, bleach, power-wash, rehang. After power-washing the rabbitry. Ah, what a difference!

caroline":3h8kfhsi said:

Have you tried CLR? We use it a lot for cleaning. We have really hard water. CLR needs to be rinsed really well but works like a charm. But it's not a disinfectant. I was planing on doing new bottoms on all of them. I figure that will help with support. Thanks for the link, also.

-- Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:51 pm --

I so excited :p we were finally able to dig the rabbits cages out of the barn. In the great state of Missouri we don't waste a warm day in February for nothing. I was thinking they were 4 separate cages. But no it was 1 solid cage with 3 dividers (4 cages total), 120"x30"x16". It even had 4 large hoppers. Here's some pics of the cage and hoppers before cleaning. I've spent most of the day scrubbing and plan to do another cleaning/sanitation on them prior to filling them with my new bunnies. :p

Barn found cage (1) (450x338).jpg

Barn found cage (2) (450x338).jpg
Barn found cage (6) (450x338).jpg
Yes MamaSheepdog that is an onion. For some unknown reason they used their rabbit cages as a place to dry onion. :x :lol: :lol:

Barn found cage (4) (450x338).jpg
Food Hoppers before cleaning (1) (450x338).jpg

I'll post some pics of them all clean later. Is 16" tall, tall enough for a large rabbit? If not how tall? They have the doors on the top. The people that lived here before us had to be giants. The bottom of the cage was about 6' off the ground. It took my husband, myself and 2 ladders to get it down. Also the man must have had a weird obsession with wire because it was hanging everywhere. Wire twisted on just about every inch. :?

wamplercathy":17hz98cv said:
Yes MamaSheepdog that is an onion.

How did you know I was thinking that? :?

Congratulations on the find! The cage actually looks in very good shape! Whoo-hoo! :D

I used Rustoleum on some aviary panels I salvaged for use as the floors of my growout pens. It has held up very well. Just make sure to allow plenty of time for it to "cure" if the weather is cold and/or damp... I was a trifle impatient with one (painted on a cool, damp day) and that has some chipping and wear since I put it into use after a day or so.

As long as the wire is in good shape all you need to do is J clip the edges together after removing the walls. I've done it several times and as long as the clips are tight the cage is very functional and sturdy

WOW, what a find! Why can't I find cages like that in the old barn on our property?

Oh... that's right... there isn't one. We were the first to develop this property. :lol:

I am a BIG believer in Rustoleum...and it comes in so many pretty colors! I have already picked out purple for my next cage. They have a new kind- the can says "2x coverage"- it really does cover a lot more, and is well worth picking up.

I got some fusion paint, it sticks to anything and last forever. We've worked a lot with it. I was just thinking that the buns may chew and swallow some of the paint. Have you had any issues with that? :?

wamplercathy":31icf9n0 said:
I was just thinking that the buns may chew and swallow some of the paint. Have you had any issues with that? :?

I have never seen my rabbits chewing on wire, painted or otherwise. If they did, the amount they would ingest at any one time would be very small and I doubt it would cause any problems. If you were using old lead based paint, that would be a problem... but lead based paint has been outlawed for many years now.

wamplercathy":3kfvqbjw said:
I got some fusion paint, it sticks to anything and last forever. We've worked a lot with it. I was just thinking that the buns may chew and swallow some of the paint. Have you had any issues with that? :?
One reason Rustoleum is used is that it is known to be non-toxic once it is dry. I don't know about Fusion... MSD's right, though. It's unlikely they would eat enough to pose a problem.

Miss M":dgd77lzg said:
I don't know about Fusion... MSD's right, though. It's unlikely they would eat enough to pose a problem.

I haven't ever heard of the brand "Fusion" either... but considering all of the kids that were poisoned by lead paint, I imagine that the tolerances for toxins are pretty low- at least if it is marketed for home use. Industrial grade paints might have other specifications. :?

The brand is Krylon, performance paint. Rust protection, paint & primer, durable adhesion, and fast dry time. It's one of the more expensive brands. I had thought about the wal-mart $1 cans but, I don't want to have to redo them in a few months. :x We got a badly rusted mailbox and sanded it down, cleaned it up and used this on it. After 10 years of being outdoors it still looks brand new. :p

Back