My nest boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29va

Reaction score
Thought I'd share pics of the nest boxes I made. They are 18 inches long and 10 inches wide. I have not used them yet but I think they will work great!

Nice...looks like mine. I also added a kit scrapper just a rolled piece of wire to the front.someone on here used a short piece of wood. It's not really necessary. Some kits hang on and get pulled out. I haven't had that problem except in first-timers. :D

Love your nest box, I use a cheap and versatile for size nest box (my nest box is not out in the weather). I throw it away after use and get another, this is one of my used ones I just removed (if I needed a top I would have cut the box top to size I wanted).

Attachments

• Ron's Phone 020.jpg
    Ron's Phone 020.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,137
Nice nest box. That sure is some heavy duty lumber you used. Silvercloud, do you have any problems with the buns chewing the cardboard?

29va":7a4g7bh6 said:
Thought I'd share pics of the nest boxes I made. They are 18 inches long and 10 inches wide. I have not used them yet but I think they will work great!

These are identical to the first batch of nest boxes I made both in size & materials.

The next batch I made 2 inches shorter as on occasion I've had does lounge in them and suffocate kits. Cant give them the impression its a sofa .... lol.

katiebear":7a4g7bh6 said:
Nice...looks like mine. I also added a kit scrapper just a rolled piece of wire to the front. someone on here used a short piece of wood. It's not really necessary. Some kits hang on and get pulled out. I haven't had that problem except in first-timers. :D

I've lost quite a few kits to that very issue , one yesterday in fact. Frustrating!

The pictures aren't showing up for me for some reason, possibly because I'm viewing this from my phone???
Anyway, I built a new nesting box for my Californian doe who should kindle Friday. I have a metal nest box, but was advised to not use it in the winter.
The one I built I used half inch plywood for the sides, and 3/4 inch thick pine boards for the front and back.
It is 18 inches long, 9 inches tall, and 9 inches wide. The front is actually only 5.5 inches tall. For the bottom, I staples on some wire mesh, like hardware cloth, but finer, the spacing is 1/8 inch. Very tiny stuff.
I will be putting it in with her this evening, with a layer of pine bedding in it and a large amount of hay.

CMFARM, you can see what damage they do in the picture at 4 weeks in. That is the average damage, only 1 out of the 30 we have used had a whole chewed through by the kits 1 day before removal. We do put a tp roll in with them for chew material and toy keeps them pretty busy (every child that sees the bunnies play with the tp roller saves them for us). :)

Is that 1/4" hardware cloth. I used 1/4" for a while but switched 1/8" after a few kits got their leg caught in it and broke their legs when there mother pushed on the nest box.

Back