Must you trim nails?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
So does a rabbit HAVE to have their nails trimmed? Will it cause any pain or harm them if not? :?

MERRY CHRISTMAS RABBITTALKERS! :D

they can get fungus in the toenail that's just not pretty, and if not they can really get long. it's just better all around to cut them.

Their nails will get incredibly long and brutally sharp and will pose a danger both to the rabbit and to you when handling it.

Problems that long toenails can cause:

1. Joint issues since the foot cannot rest normally on the ground.
2. Sore hocks and front feet since a foot unbalanced by long nails will have abnormal pressure applied to the foot pad.
3. Torn nails from getting caught in the cage wire or your clothing when you handle it.
4. Self trauma when the rabbit scratches itself.
5. Injury to newborn kits in the nestbox.

Nail trims are quick and easy to do. Everyone has a method that works best for them, and there are numerous threads on the subject.

Here is a link to several posts:

search.php?keywords=nail+trims&terms=all&author=&fid

I've seen an angora rabbit with his nails grown out long and sideways. The poor animal couldn't walk properly. I brought him home and got him all cleaned up, but it still took a long time for him to decide to take more than a few steps.
I can only guess that he'd associated walking with quite a bit of pain.

Rabbit nail trims are very easy, so there really is no excuse to avoid it.

I find many of mine dont need it often, idk if its because they are on the ground and they wear them down more so than they could on wire? But I trim the nails of sale rabbits before they are brought out to be displayed (sometimes i leave a few to demo for new owners if I'm at an event) I pick up me breeding bucks to put them in their "love pen" and naturally check, and each doe that is put in, has to be trimmed just for the bucks safety. I've seen some wicked long bunny nails, but mine never get overly long... I like trimming nails though, my dog and cat will wait patiently for their turn for cuddles and a trim lol Makes it more enjoyable for me, and most rabbits benefit from the handling also...

A tip is to instead of looking from the top of the nail, look UNDER it, so can see the actual quick, just avoid the meat part, snip right in front, then one snip to each side and one more at the tip to remove sharp edges :) follow that and you will never make em bleed :)

Yes I would trim nails for all the reasons stated above!

My wife and I do "tag-team". She holds our bunnies on her lap and I trim their nails. Really only takes maybe 2 minutes per bunny. We just did all 18 of our buns and it only took about 30 minutes! Easy to do!

Something not mentioned above........... If you happen to cut into the quick (where it will bleed) make sure to have some flour nearby. Put some on the nail that's bleeding along with a kleenex or paper towel and hold it for a minute and it should clot and stop.

But yes, always trim their nails. Ours only need a trimming about every 8 to 12 weeks so it's not a big deal at all. Also use Kitten nail trimmers (NOT the ones that people use on fingernails or toenails).

:D

I use a pair similar to those and they work well even on my 13 pound doe with thick nails.

I personally couldn't justify spending $4 on a toy like that knowing my buns would eat it in a day or two. After having seen MsD's toys that are part solid wood I'd rather spend the money on them since they look like they'd last longer. (Hint hint MSD, I'll be putting in an order later in spring when my hours aren't so tight!! :) )

critterz-chewzit-handcrafted-rabbit-toys-for-sale-t22891.html

Here are ones that are "similar" to ours.

Don't "cheap-out" on crappy ones. Not only will you have to replace them, you don't want to hurt your bunnies nails. You want a nice complete cut.

http://www.petco.com/product/14267/JW-Pet-GripSoft-Deluxe-Nail-Clippers.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:10 am -- <br /><br /> Toys.

2"x2"x2" block of UN-treated wood (free or cheap)
Toilet paper rolls (after all the paper is removed)
Laundry detergent plastic caps (make sure to clean all the soap out first).
Ping-pong balls or golf balls to push around.

Our bunnies love these free toys above!

I buy cat claw trimmers at the Dollar Tree. I have at least 4 pairs- one in the house for puppy and cat nails, one in the growout area, one in the bunnybarn, one in my grooming box to take to shows... and probably another one or two floating around somewhere. They work great.

PSFAngoras":2bi1y0fk said:
After having seen MsD's toys that are part solid wood I'd rather spend the money on them since they look like they'd last longer. (Hint hint MSD, I'll be putting in an order later in spring when my hours aren't so tight!! :) )

Thanks for the sales pitch, PSF! Looking forward to sending some to you and your buns! :p

jimmywalt":2bi1y0fk said:
2"x2"x2" block of UN-treated wood (free or cheap)
Toilet paper rolls (after all the paper is removed)
Laundry detergent plastic caps (make sure to clean all the soap out first).
Ping-pong balls or golf balls to push around.

Those are all great toys- I used to give my bunnies blocks of wood, but didn't like that they got soiled by poop by being on the floor of the cage. If possible, drill a hole and hang them up with something.

Adding to the "free toy" ideas: my rabbits love vegetable cans or those little green chile cans with both ends removed. They roll them around and pull them under their bodies with their front paws. You can also stuff them with hay. :)

If you have a standard can opener, make sure to use a pair of pliers to crimp down the sharp edge that is left at the end of the cut. I just bought the type that peels the lid off as a stocking stuffer for myself- it was only $10 bucks at Ross.

Nail trimming - I HATE to trim nails but I think your really have to. The rabbits seem so miserable if you don't and always seem to move around better after they're trimmed. My rabbits aren't handled all that much - usually just to take the doe to the buck or to move from one pen to another - or to trim nails. They put up quite a bit of fuss usually, until I get going. Then nearly every one of them just calms down and lets me trim their nails. Like most of the others here, I use cat clippers - I get them at Walmart. None of the dog clippers I got early on work as well as the ones for cats.

Toys - I got lucky a few years back and got a bunch of plastic wiffle balls on clearance somewhere. You know - the plastic balls with holes in them for kids to use in practice. The rabbits love them - well, mostly the does - they can't get enough of a bite on them to chew them up. They can carry them around, though. They'll bat them around and chase them. And I can just pull them out of the pens, periodically, and throw them in the dishwasher and clean them up!

One odd thing - I pull the wiffle balls when I put in a nest box. Otherwise, I keep finding the ball in the nest box!

:eek:fftopic: But I got a bunch of large cat balls at dollar tree....everybunny loves them they have a small ball with a bell inside.I find them in the nest box too as well as in the extra crock I put in for new babies that are nibbling food...I also got large ceramic dog dishes there too...work great in the grow out pen and I don't have to cut holes for j feeders..... :oops: sorry I didn't mean for this to become a dollar tree ad.. :lol: But back to the topic ..kinda...corn starch works fast for clotting as well..only needed it once so far... :)

SuburbanHomesteader":28rukxzg said:
Toys - I got lucky a few years back and got a bunch of plastic wiffle balls on clearance somewhere. You know - the plastic balls with holes in them for kids to use in practice. The rabbits love them - well, mostly the does - they can't get enough of a bite on them to chew them up.
One of my does took hers and patiently cut it neatly in half. :)

I just bought a pair of guillotine trimmers for cats but the blade is in line with the handle instead of being perpendicular to the handle. I find it much easier to use than the other ones we have that are perpendicular and I like the guillotine style better than the scissors, but that is just me. Now I wish I could find some that don't dull so quickly!!

As far as toys, we use the toilet paper rolls, small wood blocks, shower curtain rings, small plastic cups (like disposable apple sauce/pudding cups), and pine cones. The buns love 'em. I have a small frisbee, probably about 6" across, that was a promotional give-away item, that one of my more active buns enjoys tossing around (wish I could come across someplace that was giving more of those away). We also use the plastic cat balls, but now I am careful to buy the ones that have slits rather than the "wiffle-ball-style" holes. I had one doe get the one with holes stuck on her teeth and she was not a happy camper about me getting it off. She had it stuck good and her gums looked a bit inflamed after I got it off. She was fine later but it still gave me a scare.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got some nail trimmers online for $3 that work great! (They were originally $7 but they were on sale) And a good tip for nail trimming, is to wrap the victim in a towel. Lot less struggle that way. ;)

Also I think I'll try golf balls as toys.... can't see any side effects for those. ;P
My doe completely ignores pinecones. :lol:

Latest posts

Back