how to freeze pelts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
Well, I got two done going for third....D.H. wants to try tanning..
So to freeze pelts do you just rinse and roll and bag? Do you salt first? Thanks for any info....

you don't have to rinse them (but it's a good idea to do it in COLD water) but salting is good then just roll them up and stuff in freezer.

I'll just describe the way I do things. There are as many different methods as there are tanners...so I'm told!

I never salt before I freeze.
There is some controversy about it on the taxidermy-net forums, and I know it isn't necessary, so I don't bother.

Salt dried pelts on the other hand do not need to be frozen. I have skins stored both ways and they are both good methods.

I don't rinse unless I really have to.

If you roll a warm skin tightly and put it in plastic, it can take to long to freeze which puts them at risk for slip.

I like to lay mine out on a towel in the freezer for a few minutes to chill before rolling them up. Many would consider that an unnecessary step, but, there are so many ways a pelt could start to slip that I like to cover all my bases. It helps me track down the cause when it does occur.

Celice":1h95ampi said:
:yeahthat:

Zass explained it better..

Like raising rabbits, tanning has a learning curve of it's own. Even climate can affect how things turn out, and there are SO many different tactics. No one person knows everything there is to know about every method. That part about using cold water was good. I used to put my freshly skinned pelts in ice water when I was just learning how to skin out heads, and it would take me longer than a couple seconds to do it.

it's how I usually do it. when I skin I put the hides in a bucket of ice water to cool them off. But every one dose it differently and it works! :3

skinning out the head is much easier now then it was when I first started! I remember cutting the nose off on my first one!

Thanks for the info got them cooled off rolled up and in the freezer..the rest is up to the man...pretty pelts...one chinchilla one black with silvering ,&, one medium black...all 12 weeks old and around 8lbs.live weight.

EnglishSpot":2hpse10u said:
Dumb question....

when you salt a skin, are you applying handfuls of salt to the fresh skin? Is it a lot or a little salt?
Apply a ton of salt to a fresh skin. Do not wash the skin first.

Buy the cheap stuff, stock salt from a feed store works.

Rub it into all corners.

If it's a large animal, let it drain for 24 hours, shake or scrape off the old salt and pile on some fresh stuff.

Rabbits are usually good to go with just one salting, because their thin skin doesn't really have that much moisture to draw out.

FYI, fleshing is often much easier after a pelt has been under salt for 24 hours. (Less for rabbits, maybe 12) I find my rabbit skins to be already 1/2 dry after being under salt for just 24 hours.

I'm guessing what I've done will result in a lot of slip. We just collected skins in a trash bag as we worked, and when we were done, we put them in the chest freezer. That could be an hour or two later.

:(

Miss M":1l48dpqy said:
I'm guessing what I've done will result in a lot of slip. We just collected skins in a trash bag as we worked, and when we were done, we put them in the chest freezer. That could be an hour or two later.

:(

Skins are odd...sometimes they are fine when they really shouldn't be.

Other times, they seem to slip from the most minor things, like...the warmth of your hands. Seriously :shock:

I think people who have been working with fur for a while tend to get neurotic about slip. :lol:
It's always that really special skin that seems to slip for the most minor of reasons. :wall:

Miss M":2wz8a7z6 said:
Oh, okay... I guess I'll try them, then.

How quickly do you know whether the fur is going to slip? As soon as they're thawed?

Nah...it can fall out at any point in the process.

It's mean like that. :evil:

A good acid pickle will stop it in it's tracks...usually.

I have read the first page, and it does explain it nicely. Thanks, Celice! :)

I'll need to look into prices of the Rittel stuff.

Q: It says to rinse the pelts thoroughly. How do I know when they are rinsed thoroughly?

Miss M":10ik03s0 said:
I have read the first page, and it does explain it nicely. Thanks, Celice! :)

I'll need to look into prices of the Rittel stuff.

Q: It says to rinse the pelts thoroughly. How do I know when they are rinsed thoroughly?

I just put 7 through a cold wash in my washing machine. I bet that counts!

Reminds me, I have to go make sure the crime scene is cleaned up properly. My mum and I share the washer and boy oh boy, does she hate to find huge hanks of fur in it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back