can't find photos of properly trimmed nails

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We definitely need to start trimming some toenails. Have read a bunch of posts on the topic--what to use, how often to trim, how to hold the rabbit (and as usual a wide variety of opinions). My daughter will be doing the trimming--she is the trimmer of goat hooves and she doesn't want to do this job without a clear idea of how the nail should look when properly trimmed. I told her I'd seen a post on here with such photos. I even thought I'd saved a link to it. Can't find the link, tried the search and couldn't find the photos. Can anyone help me out?

I can't help with links, but I think you mentioned something about new zealands before?

She would be able to see the quick REALLY easily on a white rabbit if you happen to have one.

Rainey":3ajtstlq said:
Can't find the link, tried the search and couldn't find the photos. Can anyone help me out?

I don't know if these are what you are looking for, but I posted some photos on a thread- not the best quality, but here they are:

post194252.html#p194252

Thanks. Joanna says they helped. Now just one (well at least for now) more question. We haven't trimmed any toenails yet. We could see that our NZW doe that bites had nails that were getting too long but knew we were culling her soon and J not willing to cut them. But the SF buck we've had since April and the junior does, between 5 and 6 months old don't have nails extending beyond their fur. Some of the things we read said to trim them back to the fur. But does that hold for rabbits with longish winter coats?

When I trim nails I get as close to the quick as possible, and often times end up cutting the fur as well.

In my opinion, you can't cut an animal's nails "too short" with the exception that you don't want to purposefully cut into the quick. I still "quick" the occasional nail, both on rabbits and dogs, but it isn't a big deal. You can stop the bleeding with styptic powder, flour, or even diatomaceous earth.

Some animals are more sensitive than others, and will feel a bit of pain when you get close to the quick. Others don't care even if you make them bleed.

If your daughter is worried about hurting them, tell her that she can gently squeeze the nail with the clipper before actually cutting the nail. If the rabbit flinches she is too close to the quick or about to actually cut it.

take a small bright pen-light, shine it on the nail [from the side] even with a black nail, it will allow you to see where the quick is, -- cut the nail about an 1/16 to 1/8 inch above the quick, -- and as mentioned above-- slight pressure on the trimmer before you actually cut the nail, will let you know if you are going to hurt the rabbit, -- if it flinches, when light pressure is applied, you are too close. -- all rabbits are different as to where the quick is in relation to the end of the nail, -- young rabbits are usually 'very close' --all you really need to accomplish is taking the tip off, so you don't get scratched, the rest is just cosmetic.

nails1-470-wplok.jpg

Maybe this will help a little.

Zass":3mddi3hp said:
I can't help with links, but I think you mentioned something about new zealands before?

She would be able to see the quick REALLY easily on a white rabbit if you happen to have one.

No NZs left--culled one for small litters and doa's and the other just this week for biting and drawing blood. Looking forward to seeing how the junior does do when we breed them at the beginning of March, but they are half SF and are dark.

And thanks for the diagram Homer. Joanna saw a diagram somewhere in her research but said it didn't look enough like the actual rabbit toenail to inspire confidence. ;)

Back