cage size and setup questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumma

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm still in my research and planning stage and have no former experience with rabbits. So I have a couple questions. I'm interested in raising meat rabbits(probably Californian or New Zealand(if I can find some))

I've read that the cage size standard seems to be .75sqft per pound. Most of the standard cages I see mentioned are 36x30x18 which would give 7.5sqft which should accommodate up to 10lbs. So my original idea was to build cages of that size. But I've run into an issue acquiring materials to build cages so I'm now looking at buying cages.

I've found a place online that seems promising(just waiting for a shipping quote) but the largest cage they sell is 72" long X 24"D X 15"H with a divider in the middle making essentially 2 36x24 cages. That works out to 6sqft. Is this too small?

I've seen some people say that they are using 30x30 cages for bucks which is about 6.25sqft so it's pretty close to the cages I'm looking at. I"m just looking for some feedback and opinions I guess.

Another question is how many cages would I need to make sure I don't run out of room. I was thinking I would probably get 1 buck, 2 does and I would grow out 1 litter at a time and alternate between does. Would 6 cages be sufficient? I assume that one weened, I would be able to separate the litter 2-3 in the other 3 cages depending on the size of the litter. Then I would be selectively harvesting(sorry I'm not sure if that's the appropriate term) between 10-12 weeks. And then starting the cycle over again.

Does that all sound about right or am I way off?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Hello Drumma,
are you planning on raising just enough to feed your family,
or do you plan to have some for sale?
I find it more to ones liking to build your own cages
as you can build to suit your needs. My cages are 24" X 30" X 18" & 24" X 36" X 18"
For Bucks and Does respectively. I have a few [3] 24" X 24" holes used to hold juniors.
My Breed is Satins, they reach 9 to 11 pounds.
I believe that you should plan on quite a few more cages. Dealing with Rabbits
is much like eating potato Chips, you can't just have one or even a few.
You always seem to want MORE!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I raise Satins as well, and my cage sizes are 30"W X 24"D X 18"H for the does, and 24" X 24" X 18" for the bucks, and both ways it seems to work really well. I have a white sati buck which tips the scales at around 10 lbs, and his 24" X 24" cage fits him quite comfortably.

I personally cannot imagine having 36" x 30" cages, as getting the rabbits out of the cages would become a real challenge. You will run out of room quite a bit faster with the larger sizes, as well.

:lol: My cages are almost all 4feet long. some are 2' deep, some are 3' deep. (quite a few of my rabbits are in colonies, however)

I've found that the larger rabbits really like to have enough room to hop at least once. The larger cages are also really good for does having kits. They don't get cramped.

But over the decades most people have raised NZ and other large rabbits in small cages. It's really up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I just built cages and I built them 24x24 for bucks and juniors. Does get 36x24, I bought a 30x30 cage on sale and let me tell you they are a pain to reach into. I went with 2 feet deep cages because I can reach comfortably to every corner without having to strain. I also went with a quonset style hutch which is 18 inches at the peak. I'm raising mutts, Silver Fox, and Americans so they all tip the scales and 10 plus pounds each.

I feel that does need a larger cage than 24 x 24 to accommodate all those bouncing kits. I've always had 36 x 30 cages. Unless your arms are very short, you should have no problem getting the buns out if the whole front of the cage swings down. If you're arms are short, then 24 x 36 or 24 x 48 may work better. Lots of people do use the smaller cages, but I feel the rabbits are happier and healthier with a bit more room. Just my opinion.

I keep dry does and bucks in 24x24x24 (that was the size of the wire and I didn't fell like make the extra cuts at the time)...

I have let some kindle in these cages even, but fairly quickly move them to my larger cages which are a variety sizes, but all around 7-8 sf. If I had more room (I live in "border suburbia"), I would probably go with larger cages for the does, and use my current for bucks and growing replacement does.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So it looks like there is a bit of leeway there. And the cages I'm looking at should be fine. Now I just gotta come up with the funds to get this all put together.

Back