Alum from a Garden Supply Store

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Meadows

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I had just gotten my alum method down to a science when I ran out of alum :x . The alum that we got was from a store 100+ miles away that we go to in the spring and fall. I realized that after I had put several hides in to solution, so in desperation I went to a garden supply store that sold alum for applying to plants. After we got in the car and were leaving, I noticed that the bag said 17.09% aluminum sulfate. I had thought that alum was 100% aluminum sulfate, but I figured that either it would work or it wouldn't, and that I didn't have another option. So I added that to my solution already going, and to a new one that I started with 5 new pelts. It smelled a little weird, but otherwise it seemed fine.

I am asking what you all think now because I am having a few doubts about the new alum's effectiveness and today is the day that I flesh one batch and lay the other out to dry. Will they be okay with gardener's alum?

The original alum I get is potassium alum, or food grade alum from my favorite fiber shop for dyeing yarn. It works wonderfully, but can be tough to find in larger quantities for dyeing and tanning.

I did try aluminum sulfate once since I was also out of the normal stuff, and my original recipe said it was fine. I had some pelts with sentimental value in that batch and the entire batch went moldy and I had the hair slip on me. I was pretty disappointed, so I've decided to just stick with what I know works.

I buy my alum at a local mom & pop (independently owned) Ace Hardware. A 10lb bag is about $5.

Latest posts

Back