Molting?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here and got my first rabbit, and English Angora, last week. The lady I got her from was not a breeder but had just bred her two EAs. She said her rabbits were not molters. However, I can fairly easily pull quite a bit of fur from my rabbit. Is he molting? Would I be able to pull fur from him if he was not? He is about 4 and a half months old.....

I know some EAs are molters and some are not...I am guessing if he is a molter that the owner just did not know hers molt - or this one is just a molter despite the parents not being......

I don't want to hurt my rabbit by either removing fur when I should not or not removing it if I should......He does not like the fur being removed but does not complain any more than he does when I brush him......

thanks for any help....

:welcomewagon: Welcome to RabbitTalk!!! :welcome:

It sounds like he is going through his first molt. It might be that his breeder usually shears her rabbits instead of plucking them. Be patient with him and he will come to like getting plucked. He will molt about every 3-4 months on average. I am sure some of our other members who raise angoras will be able to give you more pertinent information in regards to your bunny. Do enjoy him though!

I have not met and English that does not molt yet. I use a flea comb and the loose wool comes right off easily, no pulling for bun. My older buns were not handled very often and were sheared every 90 days so they are very resistant to any brushing. I usually employ my daughters to help trim the trouble areas like legs and genital area and I also have a table and a blower to help in between. The blower works well separating the hairs from matting together. I usually keep their cheeks trimmed too since they try to bite the brush or comb. My babies I brush everyday, not serious brushing, just to get them used to the brush and comb and the handling. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 am __________ <br /><br /> I have not met and English that does not molt yet. I use a flea comb and the loose wool comes right off easily, no pulling for bun. My older buns were not handled very often and were sheared every 90 days so they are very resistant to any brushing. I usually employ my daughters to help trim the trouble areas like legs and genital area and I also have a table and a blower to help in between. The blower works well separating the hairs from matting together. I usually keep their cheeks trimmed too since they try to bite the brush or comb. My babies I brush everyday, not serious brushing, just to get them used to the brush and comb and the handling.

Yup, molt!!

I do have a Frenchie too that was raised by someone who blows out the rabbit's coat instead of brushing. It took her a while to learn that brushing means extra snuggles and a lot of attention. She still gets annoyed when she's plucked, but she's not as bad as she was when I got her this. Be patient and gentle with your guy, he'll get there. I have some rabbits who I have a hard time plucking because they get so comfortable and pleased by it (specially when the temps start to reach the 70's or higher) they attempt to do the bunny flop mid way through one side. :)

To be honest I prefer molting rabbits to those that need shorn. I don't like spinning shorn fiber fiber since it has little grab, and I find it a PITA to shear in summer when I'm forced to due to temps. Not to mentions I'm no hair dresser and my poor rabbits look like they got attacked by the lawn mower... :p

Back