Chef Rogers Powell breaks down a rabbit for cooking

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katduck

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this video on breaking down a rabbit. I loved the way he took out the backbone and left a nice boneless package to roll up. And the ribs are so .... I don't know the word. If you served that, your guests would be so impressed and it really wasn't that hard. At least he makes it look like it's not that hard! Sometimes he's off camera and the sound it's great, but overall I really liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1jKYdaNEY

Kat

Reading your post and the comments is what reminded me of the video and I almost posted it in that thread. I figured it would be better if it wasn't buried inside a thread in case someone was looking for it later.

I'm sure it will take a lot of practice to be able to get the ribs out like that, but we've decided we just don't really like all those little bones so for a lot of my future preparations I will either be removing the loins whole or removing the backbone as shown in the video to stuff and roll the loin.

Kat

Can someone identify the knife he's using in the video? (Perhaps find a link on Amazon?) I have a good set of knives, but nothing quite like that...

-Wendy

Hi.
The knife used in that video is a Deba knife. It is Japanese. It has a very thick and heavy blade. I got that one at Korin in NYC.
Stop by my Channel for more tutorial video if you have a moment.
Happy Cooking!!!
Chef Rogers

Thank you, Chef Rogers! :razz: What an honor to have you post here!

I really need a new knife. I haven't had a large knife like you use in your video in a couple of years (it was broken in something of an emergency, but that's another story). It was my favorite knife, and I used it a lot.

That knife looks like it can really handle some things. I will need to save up and get a good knife. :)

I just got a 'good' knife for Christmas, what a difference it makes!! It went through the meat like butter!! and I managed to de-bone a rabbit, almost ;)

I got two sides done, minus the front legs, but I'll keep practicing :D

Victorinox (Swiss Army) has nice knives for inexpensive. I bought my chef and paring knife on Amazon a few yrs. ago for $25, I think for the two.

Most of our knives are J.A. Henckels. We also have their sharpener.

Lately it hadn't been putting a good edge on the knives, so Hubs had the bright idea of pushing the knife away from himself instead of drawing it towards him. Lo and behold, it pushed out all of the accumulated metal fragments, and now it works like a charm. :p

I love the second deboning video. I've watched it too many times!

We also have Henkels knives. <3 them. I recently discovered there is a professional knife sharpener who visits gun shows in the area (Chicago land). He's said it's becoming a common haunt for people in his trade. I think I'll start taking all mine there once a month, since butchering really wears down the edge.

Back