Is pee tanning for real?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I found on the internet that people used pee and dog droppings to tan hides. The thing is just because it's on the net doesn't mean it's true. So any su?ccess stories using pee tanning?

That's where "pecunia non olet" comes from, the romans put taxes on urin collected by tanners and washers. Tanning was a pretty smelly job for most of history, and I don't think it's wise to use this methods for pelts....

Yes urine can be used for tanning.

That is where the phrase '' To poor to have a pot to pee in". A whole family would pee in a pot and save it till it was brought to the tannery to sell. It was mostly the poorest people that did this. Thus the phrase.

Also every animal has a brain large enough to tan its own hide.

craneman54":2bj4j1l5 said:
Yes urine can be used for tanning.

That is where the phrase '' To poor to have a pot to pee in". A whole family would pee in a pot and save it till it was brought to the tannery to sell. It was mostly the poorest people that did this. Thus the phrase.

Also every animal has a brain large enough to tan its own hide.

there are a lot of "almost lost" ways of tanning, I think anyone interested in a "natural" way of living , survival, or self sufficiency, should educate them selves-- the future don't look to bright for the "mainstream folks" from where I sit.

Zass":10wbkqix said:
Anything I can find on it says that urine was used as an alternative for or addition to lime in the dehairing process.

urine helps make the hide have a "white" appearance , used near the end of the tanning process.
I used wood ash to make a solution to de-hair hides, but-- urine or wood ash-- it all sure stinks.

michaels4gardens":38axfk0s said:
Zass":38axfk0s said:
Anything I can find on it says that urine was used as an alternative for or addition to lime in the dehairing process.

urine helps make the hide have a "white" appearance , used near the end of the tanning process.
I used wood ash to make a solution to de-hair hides, but-- urine or wood ash-- it all sure stinks.

I imagine if enough ammonia could be concentrated it would also help with degreasing.

Hmm...It's not really "pee tanning" though, more of a supplementary chemical to aid various parts of the tanning process. (bleaching, dehairing, degreasing, and I think I saw some reference to using it as a relaxing agent)

It would be good if more people were aware that producing leather was typically a multi step process that used a variety of substances to achieve different effects.

Not every chemical used in leather making is a tanning agent.

michaels4gardens I fear you are way to close to the truth. Thats one of the reasons I started raising rabbits and will be doing bee keeping come the spring. I also need to restock my pond. I am hoping it never comes to what Alot of people are saying but I am trying to get as prepared as possible. I have yet to tan anything,but am studying up on it now also.

craneman54":33md830k said:
michaels4gardens I fear you are way to close to the truth. Thats one of the reasons I started raising rabbits and will be doing bee keeping come the spring. I also need to restock my pond. I am hoping it never comes to what Alot of people are saying but I am trying to get as prepared as possible. I have yet to tan anything,but am studying up on it now also.

low gas prices we are now enjoying, are a signal the fall sequence for the economy has begun, we are in for another "bump in the road" soon , if it is only as bad as the 2008-9 crash, we will be very lucky. Unfortunately the US system is mostly held up by happy thoughts,and "christmas spending " as we don't have much of our own manufacturing anymore. And 90% of us are in debt up to our eyes.
I believe it is better to have resources,knowledge, and supplies and not need them -- then it is to need them and not have them , -- and-- in a great many ways the peace , and pleasure of living a simple self sufficient life is more then enough reward all by itself.

Unfortunately the US system is mostly held up by happy thoughts,and "Christmas spending " as we don't have much of our own manufacturing anymore.

Manufacturing would do alot to save this country. It may be too late for that to stop what I fear is coming.

And 90% of us are in debt up to our eyes.
Thank God I was able to become debt free before I had to retire. I have very little money but I owe nobody.

I believe it is better to have resources,knowledge, and supplies and not need them -- then it is to need them and not have them , -- and-- in a great many ways the peace , and pleasure of living a simple self sufficient life is more then enough reward all by itself.

So true!
I just wish I could get my kids to let me teach them some what I know so they can fend for themselves if/when things go real bad.

This will be an unpopular statement, but --the US is done as the world power, as is the US dollar as reserve currency, the cup has already been passed to Russia and China, we in the US are in for a hard time while adjusting to living within our means.

I agree in part. To change things around we would have to have alot of things go in the right direction.Well that happen? I doubt it.

We as a nation will have to hit rock bottom before enough people stand up an MAKE the right things happen. That is a long way off I fear.

OH OH the kids are starting to arrive. If you want we can continue this discussion after the holidays.

Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Back