Angora and papaya tablets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
I'd used the enzyme tablets just once. Shortly after giving a sick doe a papaya tablet or two, she'd started peeing blood. I don't mean red pee, I mean streaks of blood IN the otherwise normal pee. I was never sure if that was because of Gaia's health problem at the time or if it was the papaya that did it. She'd been in her last week of pregnancy (absorbed them), had wool block, and had also eaten something moldy, and she rapidly wasted away to the brink of death before making a miraculous turn-around.

Now Gaia's gone, so fast forward to my new staring herd of French angora. After her incident, I'm nervous about possibly poisoning them with the tablets I have. How many tablets should I give them, and how often?
Could I disolve them in their regular water? (Everyone just turned their noses up at it when I offered them half a pill.)

They're chewable tablets. The label says:
Serving Size: 6 tablets
Each 6 tablets Contains
Papain 60mg
Papaya Leaves 10mg
Mycozyme (Aspergillus Oryzae) 10mg
Bromelain 5mg

If anyone could offer a word of advice, that'd be great... ^^;

I give my angoras 4 tablets each, twice a week. I read somewhere that that's all their body can absorb. I'll try to find that link again if I can, it's been a couple years. Whether that is correct or not, I give mine to the rabbits as treats, and everyone begs for them at the door , so I'd be seen as a traitor by some of my rabbits for no getting their papaya treats on time!! I have no problem with them taking them, but you should be able to get them to dissolve in water.

Papaya can act as a blood thinner, so I wouldn't feed it near kindling. That might explain the blood you saw. I used to not think it was a big deal but I did get one doe who had what seemed to be a little excessive bleeding after kindling, so I stopped giving it the week before kindling until a week after. However, if you do suspect there is something wrong wih the tablets, I would throw them of and buy a new bottle just to be safe.

I have 16 rabbits that I give chewable Papaya Enzyme tablets that I buy from Walmart, 1 tablet every other day for the last 8 months even the pregnant ones. I just had another FW give me 6 more last night after having her tablet an hour before. I now have a total of 48 little ones and 3 more ready to deliver in the next week. I have only lost 1 so far (knock on wood), it would have been the 49th and it was just born frail. I have never had any problems that I have noticed. I also use Apple cider vinegar 1 table spoon per gallon of water (I never use just water always the vinegar water). Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 12-22-2014 015.jpg
    12-22-2014 015.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 12-22-2014 017.jpg
    12-22-2014 017.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,195

Latest posts

Back