Getting the brains out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
How do all you brain tanners get the brains out of your rabbits?

So far the best way I have found is to skin the head and cut it in half with big branch loppers. Then I just gently scrape them out with a sharp knife.

But it takes time so a faster, easier way would be great! :D

Just crack the skull with a big metal spoon and scoop out with said spoon? My dad just pooped squirrels with the back of a regular spoon and then scooped out the brains but he was eating a cooked skull...

When I used to collect the brain, I'd stick the knife in at the opening at the back of the head and cut up between the ears to the nose. I'll then grab the both ears in either hand and pull it to peal away the skin a good bit on the top of the noggin. Then I'd place the head on the chopping block and put a big knife down the center of the skull, the same way I had cut the skin, and hit the back of the knife with a hammer. Voila, bunny skull split in two. Would scoop out the brains with my fingers and save it in the bag with the rest.

(additional: although I might've also cut the ear gristle connecting the ears to the head...? I can't remember anymore.)

Back