What turns you off from a potential buyer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grumpy":19ek85sa said:
jimmywait.

Curious to know how long you've raised rabbits?

grumpy

Hi Grumpy.... Funny you are asking me that. You, Miss M, Zass and a few others started teaching us everything we know in about Feb/March of this year! :) So we haven't been at it long.......

Can I ask why you ask? Thank you. :D

We just don't have the market to do that. I would get no buyers if I put in a money 3 weeks in advance rule. If you aren't accommodating they will just go to the pet store. They don't care enough about a purebred rabbit from a breeder instead of whatever the heck looks cute at the store or sometimes shelters since shelters don't charge much for small animals here. My best market would actually be to the show crowd now that I have pedigreed stuff but you have to go make a name for yourself at the shows. I'm left dealing with the idiots and butchering most of my netherland culls for dog food because there isn't enough demand.

I think I'm going to imitate Jimmywalt when I go to sell my velveteen kits. They really aren't a good choice for impulse buying, and I don't really NEED to sell any one of them.

I think it's a good strategy for pet-only sales, which are always a lot more frustrating than livestock sales.

:yeahthat: If I do any pet sales.....Right now I have a litter of chin mutts that will be on the large side for pets,but it seems that that is what people around here want.
I raise livestock, ya know meat mutts.But i have been getting some pretty colors out of my chin buck and his daughter....so I was thinking of selling them as pets. Just to help cover the feed.
I don't know though the last time I did it sure brought out the crazies.....got about three weeks to decide they are three weeks old.

I don't really get irritated by buyers. If I had to pick one thing it would be buyers who take days between responses. I don't have a list for people so first one that sets a time to pick up a rabbit gets the rabbit.

:evil: I was just put through the wringer with a transporter (not the buyer) failing to show up when she said she would (about 5 times), and then finally showing up unannounced at a time that I wasn't home.

I have given up selling rabbits for pets for all of the reasons stated above. If you don't want a breed or show rabbit, then I don't have one to sell you.

I think there's way too many impulse buys in the market for any type of pet. I've never sold animals, but from a buyer side a deposit and wait definitely wouldn't bother me. In fact it would give me time to make sure I was set up, ask questions before I have an animal in the house and something becomes an urgent need etc.

When they ask me a question and don't want an honest answer , rather just want me to give the answer they want to hear.

Ramjet":10vssndq said:
When they ask me a question and don't want an honest answer , rather just want me to give the answer they want to hear.

I think that applies to everything. I've had to tell people not to ask for my opinion when they want theirs.

Ramjet":68g7xdv9 said:

Ugh yes! This drives me batty. A woman called about a chocolate otter MR I have for sale. Asked me if he'd be a good pet, told her he does well being handled by me and is friendly in general but because every one handles them differently and not every one will listen to how I tell them to handle/care for them, I couldn't say what he'd do in a new home. Then she asked me if he'd be alright to live with their chickens, told her no way unless she was going to get a proper cage or hutch or research properly free ranging she was not ready for a rabbit. She then proceeded to tell me I was rude and didn't know what I was doing since they had a rabbit live 6 months with their chickens before dieing... :shock: :cry: :evil: really? Told her I would not sell to her, told her to have a blessed day, and hung up. She tried calling back (thank goodness for caller ID) but I didn't answer and she didn't leave a message.

Why do people do those sorts of things? I will never know.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":2utbqc2g said:
She then proceeded to tell me I was rude and didn't know what I was doing since they had a rabbit live 6 months with their chickens before dieing... really?

WHAT???? That's ummmm..... yeah, I don't even know what I would have said.

JenerationX":158qcaom said:
Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":158qcaom said:
She then proceeded to tell me I was rude and didn't know what I was doing since they had a rabbit live 6 months with their chickens before dieing... really?

WHAT???? That's ummmm..... yeah, I don't even know what I would have said.

How bout this:

You are doing it wrong , a rabbit is expected to live 8-10 years.

That would've probably been a bit kinder approach, I know they can live longer but it irritated me beyond rational thought perhaps that they really thought it was except able to keep a rabbit in the bottom of a chicken pen.

Off subject a bit, but a lady here in town lost her rabbit the other day.
He died of old age......he was 14 years old.

Turned a lady down this afternoon. She was wanting 25 youngsters, 6 to 7
weeks old, the week before Easter. She planned on re-selling them over the holiday.....

None available Ma'am, Have a nice day. Click!

I've worked retail and have heard a lot of crazy stuff but most rabbit sales go pretty smooth. You are always going to run into unpleasant people but if you are clear and screen well you can avoid most of it.

Back