Good personality traits for pet rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curelom

Reaction score
So, it's like this. I'm currently in an in-between stage of life, and may hopefully soon be able to settle down somewhere a little more long-term than I have heretofore been able to. I'm looking at different opportunities and stuff, and it's looking like getting a rabbit may soon become a possibility. :D

So, while I'm still in a planning stage for the next phase of my life, I've been trying to learn what I can about rabbits so that that can help me make more informed decisions in what opportunities I want to follow and where I want to end up.

I'm leaning towards getting a giant chinchilla, if I can get that to work out, but I'm gonna have to wait and see where I end up, if I can find one within reasonable distance, if I'm going to be rooming with a friend, etc. before I settle for certain on a breed.

What I'm wondering is, in choosing a rabbit, what are cues I can look for to figure out what its personality may be like as a pet? Are there bunny language cues or anything that'll help me choose a nice friendly one? :) Anything else I should keep in mind that could help me choose a rabbit with a personality I'll be happy with?

Thanks! :)

-Mariah :)

My NZ cross is like a cat... only wants attention when she wants it. My MR is an attention hound, and I like that more. Perhaps the NZ cross would be more social if she'd been handled from a kit--or maybe she was and I should be thankful she's merely cat-like instead of vampire like LOL.

Not sure on bunny cues, but I would go with a male for a pet. Does can get a bit temperamental when they hit breeding age.

This is tricky. Bucks are often more mellow than does, but....my house pet doe is better than any buck I've ever owned, by a long shot. I like all my good does more than I like my bucks, and have an easier time keeping them in the house.
Really nice, affectionate bucks are more likely to spray directly at ME.

Does do seem dig and to chew more. I'd rather compensate for that than get peed on, however. ;)

Some does just never get "hormonal." I'd ask about the lines.

Unfortunately, don't know anything about giant chinchillas.

Fortunately, it might not matter much if I did. :shrug: There can be a ton of variation within a breed.
Giant breeds of any mammal usually run on the mellow side...
So...
If I'm evaluating my own kits for temperament..Hmmm...the best ones will eat something they enjoy WHILE I'm carrying them. It indicates that they can relax and drop their guard while being moved through the air. Low anxiety.
The velveteen kits will lick people, not just when they are small, but keep doing it at 8, 9, 10 + weeks old. Mucky still licks me every time I hold her, and it's frequent, because she loves being held.

My little v-lop girl Spider will wedge her head in between my hand and another kit's head to try to get all the petting for herself.

the general rule on rabbits is the bigger they are the more mellow they CAN be. My Giant Flemish is a really great guy very mellow personality with good humor seeing him try doing bunny gymnastics (20lb rabbit + somersault = very hilarious results). My Rex doe, Umi, is a DOLL!! she's the only rabbit that gives me bunny kisses, and ALL my Himalayans are great rabbit all around with still lots of personality (they are my couch-potatoes I watch T.V with).

So, really any sex can be a good companion.

There ARE rabbits that are know for having good natures like, some lops, mini rex, Rex, and Himalayan. I don't know much about Chinchillas since I never had them. But if you are after a mellow personality try to stay away from the real small breeds like Netherland Dwarf.

Flemish are known for mellow personalities. Most other giants are similar but checkered giants are some of the most difficult rabbits to handle. For larger breeds I would suggest any of the chinchilla breed rabbits (there are 3 sizes), flemish, and champagne d'argent. I got my champagnes from someone who sold out to go in to flemish pet sales. They had made a huge name for themselves and had wonderful flemish. They were telling us about one that is allowed the run of the house and when the owner gets home the rabbit knows how to go untie his shoes. Their champagnes were so laid back that sometimes I wondered if something was wrong with them. You can spill water on them or coat them in hay while filling hay racks and they just lay there with their ears flopped out. Most people I've talked to found them to be just as laid back. The breeds often raised for meat are a bit random. Some people care that their meat rabbits are easy to handle and some say who cares they are just for meat.

Dutch are usually pretty calm and they are a smaller breed. Mini rex are hit or miss. Some lines are horrid and some lines are complete sweethearts. Netherlands are more energetic and can become nippy easily but they are also very interactive when you find someone with really nice ones. My best pets have been a netherland dwarf doe, netherland dwarf buck, and mini rex doe. My worst rabbits have been a netherland dwarf buck, 2 netherland dwarf does, and a mini rex doe.

If you handle some rabbits and talk to the breeder you should get a reasonable idea of the average personality in that rabbitry. Watch their behavior when they are removed from the cages. One of the most common sources of aggression is being protective of their cage so lots of difficulty taking them out or grunting or lunging behavior can show a potential problem. When you pose them, doesn't have to be perfect at all, you often see if they are easily irritated and willing to argue, maybe even nip, or just go along with things. Some will cower down flat and refuse to let you move them around but not act aggressive. Those are a crap shoot. They might settle in fine after a little handling or they might turn territorial and cage aggressive.

Hi Curelom! I'm in the getting info before a possible rabbit stage as well.

Something else you might want to consider is whether you're going to spay/neuter and what's that going to cost depending on where you end up? I've heard costs of $70 and over $200 depending on where you're located.

For those that have experience with this.. I keep seeing issues with bucks being little spraying machines. Would a buck spray if it were neutered or is that a intact buck thing?

From my own experience a Mini Lop. My Mini Lops love to be held and pet. My male will just sit in my lap for as long as I'll hold him and sweetly lick my hand. If Mini Lops are not of interest to you than, from what I've heard from a friend that has owned them and is being repeated by previous responses I'd suggest a Flemish Giant.

I would ask to handle the parents of the rabbit and see what they are like. You should also try and find a breeder who thinks a good temperament is important and culls out any stock with issues.

I agree that males are generally cuddlier but some females can be love bugs as well - there just aren't as many of them :) None of my current bucks spray but it is something I would cull for especially in my Mini Lops who are going for pets! I had a couple NDwarfs who sprayed both males AND females and they were generally the "feisty" ones as well

Many of the behaviour tests you can perform on a litter of puppies can be used in rabbits to pick out the friendliest, calmest and/or least reactive kit in a litter. Just remember rabbits are at the bottom of the food chain so will startle much easier than puppies and you must move around them slowly and handle them securely to avoid them hurting you or themselves.

I would actually recommend a chinchilla coloured Flemish (called "light grey") instead of a Giant Chin as they are more commonly bred for pets and it should be easier to find a bloodline with a nice temperament.

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate everyone's advice, and getting so many different perspectives and tips. I'm feeling a lot less nervous about things now (as this will be my first time going out looking for a pet since I was 3 or so--we've had other pets that came to us, instead of us trying to find them ;)). So, yes, picking a bunny is feeling much less intimidating and more exciting, now that I feel like I kind of know what I'm doing. :)

The main reason why I'm interested in getting a rabbit soon (instead of a few years from now) is that I thrive when I have something living to take care of, and I'm never quite as well off when I don't. So I think that if I keep these suggestions in mind as I search, and don't rush into a decision, probably any rabbit that I "click" with will fill that need just fine. :)

Latest posts

Back