Safe, edible tree branches for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
I know willow is safe for rabbits as is silver maple and sugar maple, and white mulberry, what about red mulberry Morus rubra? Also is pin oak Quercus palustris and what about the bur/blue oak Quercus macrocarpa are there any other oaks that are safe or toxic?
What about the hackleberry and elm tree? I know apple is safe but I've heard peach isn't, what about apricot or cedar, evergreen, pine?
Any other trees that I did not list, if you know whether they are toxic or safe please let me know.

MR_ND":19v56358 said:
I know willow is safe for rabbits as is silver maple and sugar maple, and white mulberry, what about red mulberry Morus rubra? Also is pin oak Quercus palustris and what about the bur/blue oak Quercus macrocarpa are there any other oaks that are safe or toxic?
What about the hackleberry and elm tree? I know apple is safe but I've heard peach isn't, what about apricot or cedar, evergreen, pine?
Any other trees that I did not list, if you know whether they are toxic or safe please let me know.

Generally speaking, oak leaves and branches are not desirable for rabbits. Nor are the trees that produce drupes (single-stoned fruits such as apricot, peach, plum and cherry). But I have heard of rabbits eating fallen leaves from oak without problems and I know that some people have fed plum leaves to their rabbits with no visible problems.

I am not familiar with hackleberry. It is the same as hackberry?
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-119.pdf
I know that hackberry has been fed to rabbits by a long-time member of another forum without issues.

Elm (Ulmus spp.) is safe for rabbits.

Poplar (Populus spp.) is also safe.

I'm not sure about the evergreens... I'll leave that for someone else.

The red mulberry and hackberry are both fine.

I would be leery of any oaks due to the tannins. I would skip apricots due to the same pit issue as the peach.

The only thing I give my rabbits from pines are the pine cones, not sure on those.

You can use pine wood and pine cones but I probably would not use fresh pine needles. I know some use dried, brown pine needles that have fallen off the tree as a layer of bedding or in nest boxes. Aside from the dangerous oils that can be found in fresh pine the sap is an issue if the items are not dry. You will glue your rabbit's fur in clumps. Cedar has a lot more of these oils which is why it's usually not suggested to use anything cedar around animals. It may be ok as building material in some situations.

Evergreens is not a detailed enough species. It covers many conifers. One of the most common decorative evergreens is boxwood and not safe. Other common decorative evergreens that are safe include spruce and douglas fir (not actually a fir).

Absolutely no need to feel dumb, Rebekah. Common names for plants vary from place to place. This is why I always insist that using Latin names is the only safe way to be sure of correctly identifying a plant.

MR_ND":mshw69d0 said:

We haven't fed oak because we've seen so much advice against it, but I noticed when reading the classic Keeping Poultry and Rabbits on Scraps that oak, hazel and elm were listed as the most desirable trees and acorns were recommended as feed. Don't know if the difference is in the oaks in the UK or the change in rabbits since the book was written or . . . ? We have fed hazel from ones we planted in our garden for the nuts. Also fed some dogwood (Cornus sericea) and quite a lot of sumac (Rhus typhina) this past summer. And willow, different kinds, fresh and dried.

Sweet gum is fine, at least I've been feeding the young trees with a few remaining leaves that were growing in my horse pasture to mine and they haven't killed over yet. Gets the trees out of the pasture and feeds the rabbits at the same time. Sassafras is also fine as mine live under a very large Sassafras tree and eat leaves branches that I break off all the time.

Mimosa (Pink Silk Tree) should be safe to feed. I've read a study were it was used as a livestock forage with great success. The leaves have a protein content similar to alfalfa and the young shoots are highly palatable. If anyone wants to read the study I'll see if I can't dig it up. I know my horses love the leaves and shoots so I figure it's probably safe for rabbits although I haven't actually tried to feed it. I do plan on trying it this summer.

I am jealous of your tree varieties! We only have a few up here.

I have heard that willow bark has an anti parasitic effect. Can anyone confirm this?

Latest posts

Back