Cooking Bunny for X-Mas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celice

Reaction score
I'm having trouble decided what I want to do. I have a duck in the freezer but I also want to cook some bunny (found too many bucks in my colony). SO, I was thinking Bunny pot-pie or stuffed backed bunny. what do you guys think?

I'm kinda leaning toward bunny pot-pie, since I haven't tried it yet.

What are you guys going to have?

Last night for supper I had a cut up whole rabbit from the freezer to cook for supper. When we first started we thought that because we don't butcher until 12 weeks or so that we should do a slow cooker recipe or it would be tough. And we like some we found here--milk braised (which we did in a crockpot after the initial browning), with barbecue sauce, with onions and cider. All were good. Also tried the honey baked and liked that but didn't like having to stay in the kitchen and baste. The only tough meals we had were when we didn't wait for rigor to set in and then pass.

Anyway last night I just mixed up some honey, olive oil, lemon juice and ginger. Drizzled it over the cut up rabbit and baked it at 375 for a bit over an hour. The family said it was their favorite rabbit meal to date. Next time I need to notice how much of each ingredient I used--tend to mostly cook by what's on hand, what seems to go with the rest of the meal, what I have time for--not a lot of precision. Really appreciate all who took time to give actual recipes--a great help for those of us who never cooked or ate rabbit before.

Rainey, you sound like the type of cook that inspired people to begin recipes!! My stepmother is like that... little of this, little of that, some of this, more of that... and it comes out awesomely and the rest of us can't reproduce it LOL. I'm going to your house for dinner!

Can you do both duck and rabbit? Rabbit for Xmas eve, duck for xmas day!

EnglishSpot":1rbr99uy said:
Can you do both duck and rabbit? Rabbit for Xmas eve, duck for xmas day!

Yeah! that's the plan! I'm cooking duck instead of turkey because my boyfriend doesn't like it. But I'll cook it the same with some light seasoning and bake it.

We'll be cooking turkey, because my beloved Shay and I missed Thanksgiving at my cousin's house. We were sick. My mom and the kids were picked up by my aunt, so they got to go.

Otherwise, I might have done rabbit. But I have to have a turkey! :p

I'll be having rabbit for x-mas. We never did get a deer this year. :(

I might try parboiling, deboning, chilling, searing in oil, and then covering with some kind of sweet Asian-themed sauce. (If you do it right, the sauce will kind of, candy, onto the meat.)

Rainey...I cook like you. :lol:

Zass":xats3cc6 said:
I'll be having rabbit for x-mas. We never did get a deer this year. :(

I might try parboiling, deboning, chilling, searing in oil, and then covering with some kind of sweet Asian-themed sauce. (If you do it right, the sauce will kind of, candy, onto the meat.)

Rainey...I cook like you. :lol:

:shock: what kind of sauce?? (I may try this at some point)

Celice":2yw8ldq4 said:
:shock: what kind of sauce?? (I may try this at some point)

Whatever kind is your favorite?
It can be done with any number if sweet sauces. Anything with honey, sugar, or even high fructose corn syrup as a main ingredient. (if your into that.)
I like the kinds you will find labeled thai chili or sweet chili, the kids like duck sauce, and most BBQ or teriyaki sauce works.

I bet Rainey's honey-lemon-ginger sauce would work too.

I'm sure there are lots more.

Sweet and sour..or Asian duck sauce. I like to do it like Zass said to start then sear it in sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds sprinkled over before serving.just for simple..
My favorite with rabbit is cut it in serving size pieces put in roaster. Add potatoes carrots cover in mushroom soup and golden mushroom.top with onion slices and crumbled bacon.cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350 covered. Meal in one pan. So good...I put the recipe on the recipe thread..it can be varied pretty easily. ..rabbit is fun so versatile. ..the only time I made duck I put apple and orange in the cavity it made it more mild.

Back