How we have successfully sold over 60 pet bunnies this year

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
I see there are a lot of threads about selling bunnies. Either for show, pets, meat, etc. I looked at a few of them and thought I would share our "tricks of the trade".

I really believe that finding potential buyers is based upon "marketing" - Meaning advertising and saying just the right things (that are 100% truthful). I'll explain below.....

We don't just sell to anyone. We "screen" our potential buyers. First everything initially is done via email or text. Once we "feel good" that this buyer is serious about getting a rabbit AND serious about what is involved, the next step is to talk to them on the phone (when possible). Talking on the phone is another way to "make sure" that this isn't just an impulse purchase - we don't allow people interested on impulse and have turned people away. Once we feel good about the person/family we invite them to see the bunnies that we have available. During meeting the person/family we give them as much information as possible regarding being a rabbit owner - all before making a commitment or accepting any money. We always want them to feel they can say "No" if they want.

The way we do it is get "payments in full" about 2 to 3 weeks before they are weaned and ready to be sold. We believe this weeds-out the impulse purchases. We have a "Sales Contract" that we sign and given them a copy of, and one that they sign and we keep. It clearly states that their payment is non-refundable.

When they pick up their bunny we give them a zip lock bag of our food and a "rabbit care" sheet telling them everything they need to know for the next 4 to 6 months on how to care for their new pet. We also will answer as many questions as they have, and also give them our email address if they have follow-up questions!

All of the bunnies we sell are pet or 4-H bunnies. We ask a reasonable, but not cheap price, because we want people to have a vested interested in our bunny. We also make sure that they know that if they change their mind that they can return the rabbit to us at any time - We actually had one family do that after they moved and found out they couldn't have a bunny at their new location.

I think doing all this "on the front side" lets the buyer know that we REALLY do care about what happens to our bunnies, and makes them happy with adopting from us.

Advertising - All of our advertising is by using free online sites. We keep all our wording simple, and use lots of adjectives. It's all about creating hype and a positive experience. Also of major importance is HIGH QUALITY pictures! People want to see what they are buying/adopting!

Without saying too much I'm so proud of our ads and have been told that I could sell ANYTHING! It's all about being POSITIVE and telling the truth! We even had a few "referrals" from people we previously sold to!

I see many ads where people write "Rabbits for sale. Don't know what breed or sex....." These types of ads are reposted over and over because people don't know how to write an ad and it shows that they don't care about their rabbits!

We have sold over 60 pet bunnies since the start of the year. It's great to be able to share the love of rabbits with so many different families, and it's a fun hobby too.

Summary -
1. Good ad with high quality pictures and wording
2. Talk to potential buyers via email/text and in person before allowing them to commit to a bunny.
3. Give as much information about being a rabbit owner as possible and take the time to answer any question they may have.
4. Get payment up front to weed out impulse buyers.
5. At time of pick up give the buyer food so they and transition the bunny to their food, and also a rabbit care sheet.
6. Be kind and always say Thank you!

That's how we find GOOD homes for our little bunnies!

:bunnyhop:

That's great you have such a positive experience. I wish things were more like that here, you've got a good location so keep it up :) People buying pets locally would not be willing to sign a contract however nor are they willing to pay a reasonable price (even though I've seen them go pay more at the pet store than what I've asked for the SAME rabbit a week earlier when I've taken a few to the one I've dealt with in the past).

Yea no one I deal with would go through all that. They want the rabbit asap and simply or they walk. The pet store is easier even if they aren't purebred and slightly more expensive.

I don't sell pet rabbits- just show rabbits (and those mainly at shows I attend)- but I do the same things with the exception of requiring a deposit when I sell puppies.

One additional thing that I find helps people to form a connection is to name the animal. It is especially helpful when posting multiple animals in one ad, since the people can inquire directly about a specific animal offered.

Good photos and a well written ad are your bait, and the screening process and willingness to offer support after the purchase are the hook that seals the deal by showing people that you really do care about the animals you raise and sell. They will also often come back to buy another animal from you, or recommend you to others looking for a pet. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:50 am __________ <br /><br /> I wanted to share some of the photos of my puppies that I use in advertising, but didn't want to hijack Jimmy's excellent post- so if you would like a "puppy fix", you can see them here:

pictures-of-some-of-our-recent-puppies-t23177.html

Thank you very much for the comments!

We live in a pretty "low income" city and part of the USA, so I NEVER thought that doing a "pre-payment" and contract would work, but after trying it......... I wouldn't do it any other way. Let me explain.............

As I said, the ad is like the "bait" it's all about the POSITIVE wording and great pictures. What I mean about positive wording -
* Our bunnies are held daily and are extremely tame
* They love to be held and petted
* They will make great pets and 4-H bunnies
* Both mother and father are on site (people usually won't know the words Sir & Dam, so don't use those)
* They are purebred Holland Lops (or Lionheads, or Mini Rex's) - tell the buyer the breed!
* Use the words "cute, loveable, soft, sweet, tame, gentle, etc"

I use the word "bunnies" because they are still babies, and "bunny" sounds so much better than "rabbits". "Rabbit" sounds too cold and generic.

Find out what the normal rabbit sells for in your area (look at Craigslist), then price a little bit more. Yes, more! That gives it the "appearance" that is must be better. We charge $10 to $15 above the going rate and never have had a problem.

To do the contracts successfully use the wording "Beautiful Holland Lop baby bunnies. Born on xx/xx/xx will be weaned and ready to go on xx/xx/xx. Accepting payments now of $xx for one of these sweet little bunnies. Only 5 bunnies in this litter so don't delay............"

The wording creates "hype", buyers think "I better get one before they all are gone". You want to create "URGENCY" in your ad.

Then when the potential buyer contacts you TAKE THE TIME to send them a QUALITY email. Tell them that they will get a receipt for their "pre payment", make sure that they know this is a one time payment and that they won't owe anything else, then tell them some of the information that you put in your ad (the date of birth, price, date they can pick the bunny up), and also include that when they come (to sign the contract) that can pick one of the bunnies from the litter, tell them that you will answer any questions they may have........ and also tell them some of the basics that first time owners might not know. Keep it simple, but show that you care.

When they come to pick up the bunny give them a "bunny care" sheet.... This is helpful hints of things they may want to know over the next couple days, weeks or months. Include your email address on this sheet in the event they want to email you a question or show you some pictures of your bunny growing up. Also give them a zip lock bag of the food that you are feeding them and explain to them how to transition over to their food over the next few days (also include this in the "bunny care" sheet).

Doing all of this shows that you care and can get you repeat customers and/or referrals.

Don't do like the pet stores and just "sell a rabbit", instead put some time into it (it doesn't take long at all) and you will find great homes for your bunnies and make a few dollars at the same time.

Early on in our bunny raising/selling we "sold our first litter after being weaned". That was the biggest pain in the rear. People didn't show up, they would want to play "let's make a deal" on the price, some seemed like they were making an impulse purchase, some had no clue that the bunny couldn't live in the cardboard box that they brought to take it home............ 90% of these people seemed like the types that 1. We really wouldn't want to have one of our bunnies, and 2. Wouldn't pay in advance or sign a contract. ----- So from that litter going forward we only do "pre-paid" and "contract" :)

:bunnyhop:

Back