HUGE Kit Bellies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phacelia

Reaction score
Just look at that belly! Is that anything to be concerned about? Or is he just a REALLY good eater?

003_zps32fb0696.jpg

008_zps0aa37b44.jpg

009_zps0f919979.jpg

Probably just the way he is laying down.He is on top of 2other kits along with having both feet under the belly making it look wide. At least that is how I see it. :)
Nice looking kits. :D

BTW what color would you call those kits other than brownish tan. I have a white NZ that I breed to a NZ buck that has fur the color of a wild swamp rabbit but darker. Three of the kits from that litter are pure white, 2 are solid black and 1 is the color of the ones in the pic you have.

Those are red. A wild color rabbit is called chestnut.

Chestnuts can carry pretty much everything. They may carry nothing and can only produce more chestnuts and other times you can get rainbow litters. It depends what colors have been bred in to them. There's a genetics info thread at the top of the colors and genetics section of the forum if you want to know how colors interact and come from other colors.

Zass":179iwjvt said:
That big bellied kit looks OK to me. :)

If you go through this thread, you will see lots of pics of plump babies.
newborn-bunnies-picture-thread-t22498.html

Actually...now that I'm looking back through it....there are a lot of fatties in my litters too! :oops:
This page shows a pretty plump kit, and the litter grown up.
newborn-bunnies-picture-thread-t22498-45.html

Yeah, I did some browsing myself. She may have even just fed them before I took the photos.

Just being a little neurotic about my first litter. :D

akane":179iwjvt said:
Those are red. A wild color rabbit is called chestnut.

I was thinking they looked more red than fawn today, when I got them out in the sunlight.

I wonder if they will get the Creme silvering?

I've had kits like that... the only kits I've had overfeed have done it on formula, not on mama's milk. :) They start going downhill... belly gets toad-shaped, legs turn skinny and get wobbly again, fur loses condition, and poop is not normal.

Silvering is guaranteed if they have a purebred heavily silvered parent which includes all the argentes. A true creme though has several modifiers that don't show on crosses as much. You get a brighter red/orange with light silvering instead of the more muted creme color.

Latest posts

Back