Free Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
No I am not giving away a free rabbit. ;)

I just had a friend down the road bring me a free rabbit. An all white NZ male about a year old. Seems his brothers kids had a rabbit that they were ignoring. So after he told my friend about the rabbit, my buddy says "I got an old fart of a friend down the road that would probably take that fur ball for ya".

Luckily I had 2 empty cages. The thing is with getting this rabbit I am left with one empty cage. My cages are all 24" X 24" X 18". I have one doe that just had 6 kits Monday and another doe due this weekend and yet another due the on Dec.6. Looks like I will be building another hutch for nothing but grow out cages. Those will be at least 24" X 30" X 18". Does this sound like the grow out cages would be large enough?

Right now I have six 6 week old kits in a 30x36 cage and it seems a bit crowded. Those 6 week olds weigh close to 3 pounds each and I intend to keep them to 4 pounds of more so it will only get more crowded.

I had my cages built 48 x 24 to compensate for my short arms. I like them for about 8 lb rabbits.

There is one 24 x 24 cage here that I keep as an emergency holding pen. It was too small for me to want to keep the mini rex in it. I couldn't imagine trying to put a new zealand in there.

I hate my 30" deep cages passionately. I've been slowly replacing them all with 24" deep cages.. I think you'd be okay with a 36" x 24" as long as you don't wait too long to send 'em to freezer camp.

Zass":3mzdvul9 said:
I had my cages built 48 x 24 to compensate for my short arms. I like them for about 8 lb rabbits.

There is one 24 x 24 cage here that I keep as an emergency holding pen. It was too small for me to want to keep the mini rex in it. I couldn't imagine trying to put a new zealand in there.

Actually I remembered One of my hutches is 8' long with 3 dividers in the middle making 4-24 X 24" cages if I leave just the middle divider in. Each section has a door so that would give me 2 large cages with 2 doors in each. Then I can build another 8' hutch with dividers. That way I can do the same with it if I need to. Like that I will have 4-2' x 2' cages along with the 2- 8' I can subdivide if need be.

HendricksHearth":3mzdvul9 said:
I hate my 30" deep cages passionately. I've been slowly replacing them all with 24" deep cages.. I think you'd be okay with a 36" x 24" as long as you don't wait too long to send 'em to freezer camp.

Once the kits reach 4 maybe 5lbs the will go to freezer camp.

I need some good rabbit gumbo ASAP. :yes:

Our growout cages are 7'x30". Both have a removable divider that can split the cages into two. So far, I haven't really used the dividers much, just putting them in when I am weighing kits so I can tell who has been weighed. As we plan to only breed two does at a time, I am hoping we can get away with just the two growout cages.

I have been doing some moving around of the latest litters as we change out some cages. Some of the 9 week old NZ kits are now in 48"x30" cages, and honestly, having 4 kits per cage seems to be the limit I am comfortable with.

craneman54":14lwi09y said:
The only problem I would have with cage's being 30x36 is,I don't know if my arms could reach a rabbit in the back corners.
Fair point, I am six foot three and take a 35" sleeve and it's still not easy to grab a bunny from the farthest corner but I don't take them out every day. In fact I probably won't remove one until butcher time and those who want to be petted crown up to the door.

Back