NZR + Creme d'Argent = ??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phacelia

Reaction score
My original plan to breed Cremes didn't work out this year, with the loss of my two does.

While waiting for my replacement does, I decided to go ahead and get some other rabbits to breed in the meantime.

I got a trio of New Zealand Reds, and started wondering what a cross between one of them and a Creme would produce.

So a couple of days ago I bred these two rabbits:

[album]3036[/album]
NZ doe

[album]3037[/album]
Creme buck

I've browsed the forum and it appears that the silvering gene can be pretty prominent in even the first generation.

Any ideas as to what to expect?

Phacelia":1r17n9as said:
So a couple of days ago I bred these two rabbits: Any ideas as to what to expect?

Nope. Silvered reds? Looking forward to seeing the kits! :popcorn:

NZReds have the wideband gene which creates the illusion of a self red rabbit and I believe the Cremes lack this gene so you should get fawns.

The silver gene is considered a simple recessive but it doesn't always act that way and rabbits with just one are often silvered - especially when the gene comes from a d'Argent parent

NZReds have the wideband gene which creates the illusion of a self red rabbit and I believe the Cremes lack this gene so you should get fawns.

Cool, thanks.

Now did I read somewhere that they don't really have the wideband gene if they have any white on them? The doe has white underparts.

Ahaaa, ok.

So, how about these two:

[album]3031[/album]

Broken chestnut NZ doe

[album]3038[/album]

Creme buck

More chestnuts and broken chestnuts with possible Silvering.

Remember, there are over a dozen hidden recessives fthe red/fawn/creme and chestnut can hide and without knowing the rabbits genotype the possibilities are endless but the colours you are most likely to get are chestnuts, fawns, blacks, or REW

I have crossed a red satin angora to a creme, and thriantas to fawn silvers- angora to creme I got both reds and fawns with light to moderate silvering- thriantas to silvers I got reds lightly silvered, because of the very heavy rufus that thriantas have. Silvering is dominant- although individual expression is variable- the creme crosses always had heavier silvering than the silver crosses. Now that I'm thinking about it I bred a fawn silver to a magpie harlequin once- kits were japanese, both lightly harlequined and lightly silvered-

I had an interesting mix of colors in the broken chestnut's litter, but for those of you not in the know, all but one of that litter bit it.

There were two white and the rest were chestnut or broken chestnut, the best I could tell.

My red doe's litter looks to be all fawn:

016_zps7762df7c.jpg

Here is another shot with the fostered chestnut (?) kit:

017_zpsa792abf5.jpg

Back