What will I get from a REW and BEW......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have a red-eyed-white male lionhead and a blue-eyed-white female lionhead.

If we breed them together what (most likely) will we get?

Our males father (a REW) has BEW's in his background. So I'm hoping that we will get some BEW's.

REW(male) + BEW(female) = ????

What do you think?

Thank you!

Hard to say exactly. REW and BEW are caused by two different genes that cover up just about everything - breeding them together won't give you something like a purple-eyed white, if that's what you're thinking. XD

You'll end up with some random colors (like agouti, selfs, whatever) that will have vienna marks on them. If one of the REW's parents was a BEW, you can get BEW from this pairing. If the REW only has a BEW sport parent (vienna marked), the chance he's carrying the gene necessary to make a BEW is lessened and it's a gamble whether he can produce BEW or not.

Nobody knows. Rew and bew are 2 different gene sets that can both hide every color. Under the white could be anything and crossing bew and rew does not give you more white unless they also carry the other gene. You will get a combo of whatever colors we can't see.

Any other history of the colours of the buck and does parents, siblings or offspring?

Did your REW bucks sire have any white marks or father any kits with white marks?

If so then there is a 50% chance your buck got the Vienna (BEW) gene

If not then the chances are less likely

PEW's are likely in that breeding combination. Also, with mixing those 2 varieties, people who breed for showing would not be interested in adding any of those babies to their lines.

amandainohio24":12oqiy57 said:
PEW's are likely in that breeding combination. Also, with mixing those 2 varieties, people who breed for showing would not be interested in adding any of those babies to their lines.

What does PEW mean?

Is it "Pink Eyed White"?

Thank you.

Isn't pew the lutino gene which is uncommon in the US and does not come from REW or BEW. I do see some people referring to frosties (ermines) as DEW (dark eyed white) and PEW but REW or BEW is not really involved in a frosty either.

Crossing REW to BEW is a really bad idea- its not normally done by breeders of either color. Both REW and BEW are forms of albinoism- REW can cover BEW- which means you can have a REW thats also a genetic BEW, and you can have a BEW that carries REW as a recessive. Both are undesirable. You could do a test breeding just to see if your buck carries BEW- it would also tell you if your doe carries REW, if there were enough kits in the litter for a decent sample. If you get BEW the buck carries BEW- if you get REW doe carries REW. It's hard to say what regular colors you'll get- because they are both masking their true color. I have BEW Mini Rex, and they have all kinds of funky colors behind them- I know there's a magpie harlequin like 10th generation- however no REW- I would not want any REW in my BEW lines. Some folks have found out the hard way- bred a BEW to another BEW- and when they opened their eyes half the litter was REW.

jimmywalt":86sdqbti said:
amandainohio24":86sdqbti said:

What does PEW mean?

Is it "Pink Eyed White"?

Thank you.
Purple Eyed White, basically there is a purple hue to the eyes. If you are aiming for BEW then breeding to another BEW or a Vienna marked/or even carrier would be what you need. If you are wanting to get REW then bred to another REW is best but can be bred with pretty much any of the other varieties (sable point, siamese sable, seal, black, pointed white, chestnut) not sure on chocolate since we do not work with that variety.

Actually its been said that breeding chocolates into your BEW's causes some loss of the 'blueness' and makes the eye look more lilac-ish. This is caused by the ruby cast that chocolates have- and at one time was a big deal that was fought over. I had a chance to use an exceptional broken chocolate in my BEW program- and when I use vienna carriers now I do get chocolate based rabbits. However I do not feel that its changed or diluted the eye color- although there is variation in the blueness. Some swear by it and feel that any color that has a ruby cast to the eye should not be bred into BEW's. However REW is different- it can be carried and not expressed- its a simple recessive-and so if a BEW carried it there would be no effect on the eyes. BEW is a much more complicated gene- it can express its self in many ways- eyes can be blue or partly blue in a colored rabbit- there can be white markings on a genetic solid- or like many of mine they are silvered. The theory is that if the BEW is a genetic chocolate the ruby cast is still there and causes the eye color to appear lilac or purply- I don't entirely buy into it. I do believe that there is just variation in the blueness.

Latest posts

Back