Apple Cider Vinegar for Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celice

Reaction score
When I started to raise rabbits someone told me to put apple cider vinegar in their water. Not much just a cap full, and it was supposed to help them in all ways. Well, I thought that this person know what they are talking about so I've been doing it for years without really knowing way. So, I looked it up today because I wanted to get mites off my rabbits and I haven't put any vinegar in there water in a while.

This this what I found:

ACV helps reduce the ammonia smell of rabbit urine.
Prevents urinary tract problems like bladder sludge (from excess calcium), reducing infections because the organisms can not live in acidic urine.
Keeps the body pH regulated, clearing up any skin infections or weepy eyes.
Increases the nutrient absorption capabilities of the G.I. tract as well as helping the whole digestive process.
Boosts fertility rates and may result in more female kits in a litter.
Makes the does more willing to breed.
Makes rabbits unattractive to fleas and mites by making the rabbit”smell” off, making it a great repellent.
Extensive historical use and veterinary studies indicate that apple cider vinegar added to feed or water can cure a mastitis infection and reduce the transmission rates of the bacteria.
One part vinegar and one part water can be sprayed on [any pet's] fur and rubbed in generously to the skin. Saturate the entire coat, and continue every day for a few days to a week; any flea infestation will disappear.
Can be used as a cleaner for cages and crocks as well as keeping the green algae from growing in water bottles in the summer.
Known for keeping fur softer and shinier.
If bringing your rabbit to a show or transporting them, ACV water will taste the same as the water from home no matter what tap you use.
Rabbits like the taste of ACV and drink more water, resulting in better hydrated rabbits.
It’s safe to give to pregnant does, great for rabbits at any life stage.
Adding ACV to water changes the pH level of the water, lowering the freezing point of water (a handy benefit when you live in the mountains at 8,000 ft. elevation!).

Web: http://madhatterrabbits.wordpress.com/2 ... h-rabbits/

Has anyone else tried this?

I have read the same things in recent months. I have not done it on a regular basis (I need to start!) but did do so for a couple days with new rabbits that showed signs of urinary tract infections. Both it cleared up any problem within those couple days.
I've read in the past how beneficial it is to people so I guess it makes sense!
Thanks for reminding me!

I have in the past added ACV to my herds drinking water,
as an aid in breeding production in the warmer months and
to mask the taste of an unfamiliar water source.
I have never thought of it as a bug deterrent, though it may do just that!
I add about two teaspoons per gallon of water. As a treatment for fur-mites
I would spray and rub in Listerine Mouthwash. I cannot explain how or why it works,
it may be that the mites become intoxicated and fall to their DEATH! :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

RR MiniSatins":2phs9og4 said:
I'm going to try that, you say only a capful, but to how much water? Thanks

I use regular water bottles but for anything bigger like a bowl a tablespoon. :)

I give ACV water to all mine. I heard somewhere that it should be given for a few months and then off for a few months... I don't remember why which doesn't really help. I start adding it when I go to using crocks in the winter and give them a month or two off in the summer. I use about 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon.

Silver Cloud":2d48es8p said:
I have given my rabbits acv ever since day one and have had no problems to date, 2 table spoons per gallon. The urine changes color and smells less harsh.

that's good to know! my colony had a 5gal water-thing (I don't what what it's called it's for chickens). I'm going to give them some today, I noticed some had ear mites.

that's good to know! my colony had a 5gal water-thing (I don't what what it's called it's for chickens). I'm going to give them some today, I noticed some had ear mites.

Oil will smother ear mites too.
I have yet to deal with them, but I've heard many, many people tell me that both olive and mineral oil are good choices.

Zass":7chs9wzz said:
Celice":7chs9wzz said:
Silver Cloud":7chs9wzz said:
I have given my rabbits acv ever since day one and have had no problems to date, 2 table spoons per gallon. The urine changes color and smells less harsh.

Oil will smother ear mites too.
I have yet to deal with them, but I've heard many, many people tell me olive oil works great.

ear mites were introduced to my herd by someone else's rabbit when I babysat for them. I cleared up their rabbits ear mite but then they found other victims to munch on, they are more of a pest then a real worry for me. I don't see them get them often.

I have done olive oil and it dose work! but for my colony rabbits it involves catching said rabbit. They don't mind me touching but they don't like me picking them up. :)

Latest posts

Back