Nesting box question???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCatcher

Reaction score
Hi
Ok well i have my first litter of NZ's as i posted a couple weeks ago..anyways these are in the house nice and warm..they are 18 days old ..and jumping in and out of the nesting box...they are eating a bit of pellets and hay..also have started drinking out of the dish....today they all are sleeping in the cage not the nesting box...i put a couple back in the box...NOPE jump right BACK OUT...the nesting material is clean as it has been changed twice...
So should i leave the nesting box in the cage a bit longer incase they want to use it or should i remove it from the cage... it just seems a little early to me..but what do i know i'm new to this :)
CC

XLT

ok was just not sure about it..as in the past couple weeks the doe feed them in the box ..i was just concerned as to weather or not she will feed them on wire...guess i will find out...but i will keep a close eye on them
CC

The nest box does give them a warmer place to sleep, but after a certain age they seem to prefer to be out closer to the milk bar. In cold weather, I leave the box anyway, in case they need it.

mine seem to actually nurse more frequently, at least at first.... they can chase mama down better...

I've been pulling the nestbox by 14 days if they are in the house. Even if I have to kick them out of it. It keeps the nestboxes much cleaner and they really don't need it. Outside in the cold I'd probably leave it until they stop using it.

I pull it at about 2 weeks, but sometimes leave it in there longer so that the doe has a place to go to get away from the the bunnies.

What about the cage bottom, will their little feet fall thru? I have had night mares about them getting out of the box and their legs fall thru the wiring!

they learn to walk on the wire pretty quick... they fall through the first few steps... usually not much more than that.

Latest posts

Back