The Haystache thread!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sitting the other day before I moved the bunnies outside and heard one of them digging like crazy in their cage. She was demanding her nest box early I guess. It's her first time, but she seems to have it down. She's been working on her nest for days and still any new hay I put in her cage goes in the nest instead of her belly. Due from wednesday on. :)

Attachments

• Nestmaking.jpg
    Nestmaking.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 3,948
  • Stache.jpg
    Stache.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 3,948
Our French Lop Dee Dee doing the "haystache". I'm a little concerned she might be doing the false pregnancy thing on me...nest building 10 days early in this picture. :x

Dee Dee Haystache 12 7 14.jpg

Homer":22ghxxqi said:
Our French Lop Dee Dee doing the "haystache". I'm a little concerned she might be doing the false pregnancy thing on me...nest building 10 days early in this picture. :x

Love seeing all these haystache/furstache pictures! :D
Homer, hopefully she's just planning ahead! I don't know how unusual it is but my Mini Lop built her nest when she was only 10 days pregnant! She made it perfect and then didn't touch it until it was time for pulling fur on the day the kits were born (32 days). I'm really curious if she will do it that early each time.

Why do does have that saggy neck thing? My Doe has that and we thought she was just obese... She is a big girl though... I feed them too much probably lol

I believe that's called a dewlap, and it's completely normal. :) I read that does often pull fur for their nests from their dewlaps, but that's about all I know about it.

I got pictures of the "haystache" this time around!
Since we had to wean her kits early and she seemed determined to get with the buck I let her. I won't breed them this close together again! I'll admit it was an emotional decision as we'd had some rabbits die that day. Today, Christmas morning, she was very busy doing the haystache. She's 12 days in - which for her is normal/not an indication of false pregnancy. Last pregnancy she got the nest box all ready @ 10-12 days too. :)

Violet Haystache.jpg

WhWRabbitry":2kx32abq said:
I got pictures of the "haystache" this time around!
standing-ovation.gif

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that it completely cracked me up when River started carrying around mouthful of hay for her nest. I had no idea that rabbits did that (and, of course, didn't suspect her of being pregnant) but I thought it was hilarious. Glad I was 'thoughtful' enough to buy her a nest box anyway. :p

Homer":3a6ezrp1 said:
@Syberchick70 - Pictures or it didn't happen. :camera3: :cheesysmile:

Haha well, I'm out of luck this time. I didn't think to take a picture of her, but it was too funny. My son and I were amused by the fact that she was so excited to build her nest that she was trying to drag everything she could find into her nest box. We saw her dragging a shoe, a hat, some rope, papers... Whatever she could get to. Rabbits are silly. :roll:

Homer":34gbl9pc said:
A shoe? :eek: :lol: That's a new one on me but you're right, rabbits are silly.

I think the weirdest thing she grabbed was a frizbee. :lol: I so wish I had gotten a picture of THAT.

Homer":2v657ox7 said:

You mean you don't know the rhyme? :shock:

There was an old bunny
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many kits
She didn't know what to do.

Miss M":2ml9um10 said:
Homer":2ml9um10 said:

You mean you don't know the rhyme? :shock:

There was an old bunny
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many kits
She didn't know what to do.

True!!

This gal is due Friday. I put the nest box in this morning and she got right to work!
She is an older doe but new to us. We are excited. :)

Maggie haystaching.jpg

Maggie haystaching 2.jpg

I am new to breeding rabbit (had them as pets growing up) and have just witnessed my first Haystaching:). It's adorable! Funny thing was when I stuck my arm in to pet her and get her out to look her over she tried to rip off my jacket sleeves! I also saw her carrying wood chips (clean ones) to her nest from litter box. We are suspecting pseudopregnancy but hoping for babies and it was so fun to see her practice. Those instincts are there even if she uses them at a later time-it's good to see:)

WhWRabbitry":3tcbg0jq said:
This gal is due Friday. I put the nest box in this morning and she got right to work!
She is an older doe but new to us. We are excited. :)

She seems very serious about her nest!! :D Great pictures!

Latest posts

Back