Dead kits this morning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
Last month I tried to bred one of my does with my new buck. He mounted her several times but never fell off or made any noise. I figured he was unsuccessful. Didn't think she got pregnant. Thinking she was not pregnant I never put a nest box in the cage.

This morning I go out to feed and I find 6 dead kits on the wire and two more were moving a little bit. I threw the dead out and then picked up the live ones only to find the mother had chewed of the legs of only the 2 live kits. No way would they survive so I gave those two to the dogs also. Then I check the doe, She had not pulled any hair anywhere. I tried to pull some hair off her in various places and none came off not even from her dew lap. Doesn't look like she had any milk as I had a hard time even finding her nipples.

Again not thinking she was pregnant I breed her on on Thursday. The buck did mount whinny and fall of twice. Could she be pregnant with a second litter???

I hate not know when they are pregnant. :(

It is highly unlikely the sperm managed to swim past 8 fetuses to reach the fillopian tubes and fertilize an egg but just to be sure mark the calendar and put in a nest box 27 days later :)

I also had similar condition..went to do rabbit chores only to find the mother chewing off a kits foot. He was laying on the cage floor. I put him in my pocket and finished chores. Put him on the table and noticed he was moving slighlty. Kept him warm and he started to respond...long story short..fixed up his leg kept him in a box for a couple of days..then put him back with the other kits. So far he is doing fine. He looks good and gets around ok..his leg looks ok..no infection. I guess we will have a pet to keep around the farm.. <br /><br /> -- Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:11 am -- <br /><br /> I also had similar condition..went to do rabbit chores only to find the mother chewing off a kits foot. He was laying on the cage floor. I put him in my pocket and finished chores. Put him on the table and noticed he was moving slighlty. Kept him warm and he started to respond...long story short..fixed up his leg kept him in a box for a couple of days..then put him back with the other kits. So far he is doing fine. He looks good and gets around ok..his leg looks ok..no infection. I guess we will have a pet to keep around the farm..

Latest posts

Back