WINTER IS UPON US!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Hey guys! :D
I just thought I'd start a new topic on winter tips!
This is going to be my first winter with rabbits. I own Dutch crosses. (Mini rex/Dutch cross doe, and a Netherland dwarf/Dutch cross buck.) Any tips on handling things? I bought two metal crocks for water, and plant to change them twice a day. And they live outside.

I also plan on getting a Holland lop doe, and a Netherland dwarf doe this January. Any tips on breeding them...are there major differences between the breed I have? And do they need special attention? Or special attention in the winter?
I saw on the rabbit chat box that Zass said that Velveteen lops get frostbit in there ears. Are there any things like that for Hollands, Dutch, or Dwarfs?

And I just wanted to say thanks SO much for helping me out! You guys are my mentors, ...my rabbit family! :D :grouphug2:

I use ceramic crocks in the winter, metal ones are too light in my opinion plus have you ever tried handling metal in the winter with wet fingers? Just think of the Christmas Story scene :lol: I am sure the same thing would probably happen with bunny tongues!

I have owned both hollands and Netherlands before, they stayed outside in the winter with no problems, I did however have breeding problems with my netherland, she never had a live litter, all the kits got stuck so we ended up rehoming her to a pet only home.

I cover my cages in the winter to keep out the cold wind, and if its going to be super cold (below 0) I give them a box with straw to snuggle into.

Forgot to mention, I have lionheads.

I cover my cages in the winter to keep out the cold wind, and if its going to be super cold (below 0) I give them a box with straw to snuggle into.

JessicaR, what do you cover the cages with? Where do you get your ceramic?

Easy Ears, I did a google search for average winter temperatures in Washington State and they seemed to be right around the freezing point. Rabbits can do very nicely in even much colder temperatures as long as they are protected from wet and wind. You should not encounter problems with frostbite at those temperatures.

Ahhh winter, fond memories of lots of frozen water bottles sitting if front of the fire place throughout the day. Good times... :?

I gave up on water bottles last winter, the metal spouts freeze in just a few minutes of near zero degrees. I replaced them with containers I picked up from thrift stores, soup bowls, candy dishes, ashtrays and such. I have enough so that on a cold morning I just take empty ones to the hutch and exchange for frozen ones. That has worked so well I never went back to bottles this past summer. As a fringe benefit I also find not nearly so much liquid in the drop pans, I think most of the liquid was not bunny pee but drips from the water bottles.

MaggieJ":wsnsv6z7 said:
Easy Ears, I did a google search for average winter temperatures in Washington State and they seemed to be right around the freezing point. Rabbits can do very nicely in even much colder temperatures as long as they are protected from wet and wind. You should not encounter problems with frostbite at those temperatures.

Our temps go well below the freezing point in winter. Our rabbits (NZW, SF & crosses) are in wire cages in a small wooden shed. During the summer we kept the door open through the day and there were windows on the two end walls that were screened and kept open until recently. The shed was built with ventilation similar to that in the winter chicken coop (screened openings up under the eaves) This will be our first winter with the rabbits. We won't be breeding again until late winter/early spring so after the kits born early this month go to freezer camp we'll just have a buck, the mother of the current kits, and two does from a late July kindling that we are keeping to breed next year. Those two we hope to keep in the same cage unless they don't get along as they grow up. Each cage has a hanging bucket and a thin flat rock to rest feet from the wire. Should we be putting in boxes with hay or putting something into the buckets for them to snuggle into? I get confused because folks talk about them peeing in their hay or using a place such as I've described more like a litter box. But I'm used to animals that are on deep bedding and or can huddle up together when it is really cold. Also know that keeping everyone dry and out of drafts--and well ventilated is what is needed for our goats and chickens. (Have found good advice about winter watering on other threads) We're growing oat and rye grass and will start wheat grass and perhaps fodder soon--can those things be fed when the temp is below freezing? Should we only feed as much as can be eaten before it freezes? Sorry for so many questions--still trying to figure this all out without learning the hard way with sick or dead rabbits. Feel very lucky so far and very grateful for all the help we've found on RT.

I use nest boxes all year round for my rabbits. (Until recently, I had to take my doe's nest box out because she was chewing on it. It was plastic.)

My buck used to pee in his, and then I took it out, cleaned it, and put it back in for a few weeks without hay. He didn't pee in it after that because he didn't want to get wet. :lol: Anyway, this last week, I put dried grass and hay back in his box. (Only a thin layer though.) He's been fine all week, no wet hay that I can see so far. I suggest putting hay for them to burrow into, and if they pee in it, you could always just ditch that idea. Worth a try though. ;)

Last year we got -60F and the rabbits handled it just fine. They were more reserved but otherwise fine. Only lost 1 doe and that was long after the cold period. They handle cold very, very well.

It was 78 yesterday. My garlic finally appeared. Tonight it will probably frost. That is Iowa.

Rabbits do fine down to subzero temps provided you aren't trying to get litters. Only larger eared lops have a risk. The small ears on a netherland should help them not lose heat but even large upright ears they just flatten to their body.

where I live it almost never gets to 20 below, and usually not colder then 15 below, -but we have wind sometimes...
--I like big stainless metal water dish [hold about 1/2 gal] with the sloped sides, or the flexible black rubber kind [hold about 1 gal] that have the fibers in them [also with sloped sides, available at most feed stores], for winter water dishes, because the sloped sides make them easier to get frozen water out of, they do not break when they freeze hard like some of my ceramic crocks did, and it takes longer for a half gal to freeze over then a smaller amount . I have metal on the back and sides of my cages, and cage rows face each other, so the wind can not blow directly into the cage from either direction, I also put a box type compartment in each cage for winter with some straw [sometimes have to be cleaned] for the rabbits to get into when it is cold. I have no trouble with does or litters , as long as I make sure the nest box is right before and after kindling [plenty of hay and all kits are covered with a lot of fur]. I put 2 layers of corrugated cardboard, inside nest boxes, and use nest boxes with a covered top and just a 6 inch access hole in the front for winter. [to get cardboard inside, it is cut to the length of the inside of the box, rolled up then pushed inside and then unrolled , for my boxes that is a piece about 3'6" x 17 1/2" for each layer, for the piece that wraps around the top, sides and bottom], --then the back end piece is pushed in -for my boxes that is 11" x 11" piece for each layer , that holds the piece that wraps around the top, sides and bottom in place so it does not sag down and get in the way] -- it works for me

Still thinking about the winter watering issue. Hadn't thought about the bunny tongue on very cold metal issue--but it sounds like some folks continue using water bottles or use metal water dishes. Looked at the local dollar store and only found flimsy plastic pet dishes--no ceramic.

Also not sure whether or at what temp we should be providing something like a nest box inside wire cages for rabbits to keep warm. Would it be good to put some hay (or shavings or sawdust?) in the hanging buckets or should we be putting in a separate box with something for bedding? Have a while yet to figure this out--our first real freeze due this weekend and snow! as well. Want to be ready before the deep cold comes down.

One more for the deep cold rabbiters--what about the bottom of hutches? I have a hutch with a wire bottom and a drop pan underneath--do I need to block the bottom of my hutch with plywood to block the wind from coming from below?

Down here in Lousyana we don't hit freezing temps too often. But I did set up my hutch with tarps to block cold wind and driving rain. I have an automatic watering system .To keep it from freezing (should we get that cold) I plan on buying the old style large bulb-ed Christmas tree lights to wrap around the water lines.The heat they put off should keep the lines from freezing. Just have to make sure the bulbs don't make direct contact with the water tubing running to the water nipples. I will also keep the tarps down if it gets really cold (Well as cold as it gets down here :lol: ) and will have heat lights under the tarps to keep it nice and cozy if any on my does have kits.

michaels4gardens":1q57r0vh said:
where I live it almost never gets to 20 below, and usually not colder then 15 below, -but we have wind sometimes...
--I like big stainless metal water dish [hold about 1/2 gal] with the sloped sides, or the flexible black rubber kind [hold about 1 gal] that have the fibers in them [also with sloped sides, available at most feed stores], for winter water dishes, because the sloped sides make them easier to get frozen water out of, they do not break when they freeze hard like some of my ceramic crocks did, and it takes longer for a half gal to freeze over then a smaller amount . I have metal on the back and sides of my cages, and cage rows face each other, so the wind can not blow directly into the cage from either direction, I also put a box type compartment in each cage for winter with some straw [sometimes have to be cleaned] for the rabbits to get into when it is cold. I have no trouble with does or litters , as long as I make sure the nest box is right before and after kindling [plenty of hay and all kits are covered with a lot of fur]. I put 2 layers of corrugated cardboard, inside nest boxes, and use nest boxes with a covered top and just a 6 inch access hole in the front for winter. [to get cardboard inside, it is cut to the length of the inside of the box, rolled up then pushed inside and then unrolled , for my boxes that is a piece about 3'6" x 17 1/2" for each layer, for the piece that wraps around the top, sides and bottom], --then the back end piece is pushed in -for my boxes that is 11" x 11" piece for each layer , that holds the piece that wraps around the top, sides and bottom in place so it does not sag down and get in the way] -- it works for me

The reason I have to use water dishes in winter is, -I have to drain my automatic watering system, in winter even though I used PEX pipe to make it, it will still break the brass fittings in a hard freeze if I have water in it.-- I have built metal sides around, and metal roof over my 12 main cages now,[six cages on each side with walk way in the center] [and chickens and ducks underneath] - so now it is rain / snow tight, and wind can not blow into the area, it is open on the ends [where the doors are] for ventilation- the wind here only blows north or south [ I live in a canyon ]. -so the wire doors on the east and west pose no problem for wind blowing through.

Any tips on handling things? I bought two metal crocks for water, and plant to change them twice a day. And they live outside.

I also plan on getting a Holland lop doe, and a Netherland dwarf doe this January. Any tips on breeding them...are there major differences between the breed I have? And do they need special attention? Or special attention in the winter?
I saw on the rabbit chat box that Zass said that Velveteen lops get frostbit in there ears. Are there any things like that for Hollands, Dutch, or Dwarfs?

Back