Processing a Domestic Meat Rabbit Video

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of other meat processing videos out there but I think one of the best things about watching other people process is that you may stumble across a method or two that you really like and incorporate it into your own processing.

Hope there's a thing or two in my clip that will prove useful to others! :bunnyhop:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGITscYk1pQ&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]​

first let me say it is a video worth watching--but--after watching this video, I feel a experienced person should make a video for this method of skinning / butchering a rabbit ,- I would like to, but for reasons that won't be mentioned here ,it would be a very bad career move. I use CD method on young rabbits [8 to 10 weeks] and pellet gun or bopping on older rabbits,--- JMHO ,-if a rabbit is suspended like in above video, --then, - when skinning it is faster [and doesn't waste the pelt] if you make a horizontal cut just above the rear ankle , and grab the fur and skin and pull down, and for an older rabbit , or if you want a perfect pelt, make a slit in the skin on the inside of the back legs from horizontal cut ,down to the groin , then just pull the hide off in one piece, using the knife to cut around the anus / tail , and again to remove the front feet after the hide is off, - this leaves a perfect pelt, then after that, make a vertical cut from anus to rib cage , and remove entrails. I can butcher a young rabbit [from CD to brine bucket in about 60 , to 90 seconds] using a utility knife [always sharp blades available], or small sharp pocket knife- [I would never throw away the kidneys, liver, and heart ] again-- JMHO .

michaels4gardens, when you use a pellet gun, how do you keep the rabbit still? box, cage, fence? Thanks

I hold the rabbit firmly, but gently against the ground by the shoulders,[gripping the skin on the shoulder blades] with my thumb and forefinger in front of the shoulders near the neck, I place the gun barrel against the back of the head [just in front of the ears] -- if you use a rifle it is just a little more awkward, then using a pistol . but not too bad. [it is important to take your time and do this right, as suffering will be the result of a sloppy shot, -]

michaels4gardens":hhnrn39z said:
or if you want a perfect pelt, make a slit in the skin on the inside of the back legs from horizontal cut ,down to the groin , then just pull the hide off in one piece, using the knife to cut around the anus / tail , and again to remove the front feet after the hide is off, - this leaves a perfect pelt, then after that, make a vertical cut from anus to rib cage , and remove entrails.

Indeed - this is not the method to use if you are trying to preserve a pelt. The ideal age for processing for meat is too young to yeild a very good pelt. The meat for a fur animal is of course perfectly edible, they do not have as good of a feed conversion ratio as a rabbit bred and raised expressly for meat. With Californians you can use them for pelts, but you have to grow them out longer than the age at which they have peak feed conversion efficiency for meat production. The reason for our method of skinning is to remove the anus and intestine/bladder in the cleanest manner possible without contamination to the knife and/or meat, as the skin is used as a protective barrier throughout the process. There are certainly methods and individuals faster than we are, but speed isn't the only thing we consider of value in the process. (Not to say that other methods are bad--we just have more priorities than time alone.) Would love to see your method, though!

We discard the organs simply because we don't care for them and the chickens convert them into eggs for us--which we do enjoy! ;)

As far as dispatch goes we currently use the "percussive" method (bonk 'em on the noggin') and while it's a higher skill approach it gives an instant kill through destruction of the brain, and often exsanguinates the rabbit via the ear or nose so you don't even have to worry about bleeding them after dispatch.

wildeden":2nijj1rb said:
michaels4gardens":2nijj1rb said:
or if you want a perfect pelt, make a slit in the skin on the inside of the back legs from horizontal cut ,down to the groin , then just pull the hide off in one piece, using the knife to cut around the anus / tail , and again to remove the front feet after the hide is off, - this leaves a perfect pelt, then after that, make a vertical cut from anus to rib cage , and remove entrails.

Indeed - this is not the method to use if you are trying to preserve a pelt. The ideal age for processing for meat is too young to yeild a very good pelt. The meat for a fur animal is of course perfectly edible, they do not have as good of a feed conversion ratio as a rabbit bred and raised expressly for meat. With Californians you can use them for pelts, but you have to grow them out longer than the age at which they have peak feed conversion efficiency for meat production. The reason for our method of skinning is to remove the anus and intestine/bladder in the cleanest manner possible without contamination to the knife and/or meat, as the skin is used as a protective barrier throughout the process. There are certainly methods and individuals faster than we are, but speed isn't the only thing we consider of value in the process. (Not to say that other methods are bad--we just have more priorities than time alone.) Would love to see your method, though!

We discard the organs simply because we don't care for them and the chickens convert them into eggs for us--which we do enjoy! ;)

As far as dispatch goes we currently use the "percussive" method (bonk 'em on the noggin') and while it's a higher skill approach it gives an instant kill through destruction of the brain, and often exsanguinates the rabbit via the ear or nose so you don't even have to worry about bleeding them after dispatch.

once-upon-a time,- I used to butcher for an employer who had an on-farm, Gov. approved processing facility. we had to process a lot of rabbits [about 1500/ month at max production] it was a drag for me, and a quick butchering time/ rabbit was "all important" he had a market for the hides, we had to separate the young rabbit hides from the older rabbits hides, [I have no idea where he marketed them, as someone picked them up in the evenings] If I find a video that approximates the method we used, I will share it, but you are right, for most folks, being quick is probly not as important as it was / is to me. I still have a lot of other things I have to do, so - when I do process, I try to process them quickly so I can get on with my other chores. By the time I process 3 or 4 litters, brine them, cut and wrap, or bottle and pressure can, them I have a lot of time invested. --and as far as "bopping" goes, I think it is as good a method as any, depending of course ,on the boppers motor skills. and proper "bopping" doesn't discolor the neck meat like CD does,.[if marketing is the goal ]

Very interesting!

I butcher in quite a different way so this was interesting to watch. I pull the skin off first, cutting around the ankles and pulling it down. I also do the tail/intestine thing differently. I use the tail as a "handle" to pull the tail puff/intestines/etc all in one! I just grab hold of the tail after splitting the pelvis and pull down and it all comes out quick and clean. I never have to use a knife to cut off any connective tissues. I also use pruning shears to cut the pelvis so I'm not damaging my shoulder by repetitive motions of breaking bones in the pelvis/paws/kickers areas. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:27 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh and I use an air rifle to put my rabbits down. I feel it's much more "sure" of a thing because I don't feel I have the aim to "bop" them or do cervical dislocation.

I cannot catch things when people throw them to me from 2 feet away......... hahahhahahaha

Latest posts

Back