My new hutch. What do you think? Pic heavy.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
So I have no experience with a saw. I never build anything... So I decided it was about time I tried. Bought my supplies. Tools, power saw, drill, etc...bought the wood and had it sticking out the end of my Suzuki Swift car. It was quite funny looking. Almost as funny as when I haul my canoe on top of the car. LOL
Made my own design and measurements.
Of course, with mot things people build, there are regrets afterward. And lessons learned. I learned that the wood is very dry, so I need to pre-drill holes, then use screws NOT nails. The frame was pulling apart a lot. So I bought the drill, the screws, and reinforced it. Worked great. I also learned that I had accounted for everything except the water bottles. I forgot how tall my bottles are, so the wire they came with won't fit. In the mean time I am using twine, but I will replace that with longer wire.
I forgot to brace the legs better. It is fine now. But so that it lasts longer, I will put some more support braces on the legs.
I stained the roof and legs for now to protect from water damage, because I couldn't get any roofing materials yet. I plan to put something else on it later on.
What do you think? I know, I could do better next time, but it is working for now.

Attachments

• DSCF0414.JPG
    DSCF0414.JPG
    591.1 KB · Views: 30,693
  • DSCF0413.JPG
    DSCF0413.JPG
    954.3 KB · Views: 30,696
  • DSCF0412.JPG
    DSCF0412.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30,696
  • DSCF0407.JPG
    DSCF0407.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30,698
  • DSCF0406.JPG
    DSCF0406.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30,696
  • DSCF0405.JPG
    DSCF0405.JPG
    1,009 KB · Views: 30,693
  • DSCF0404.JPG
    DSCF0404.JPG
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 30,694
  • DSCF0403.JPG
    DSCF0403.JPG
    904.2 KB · Views: 30,697
  • DSCF0402.JPG
    DSCF0402.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30,698
Wow!

Great job, especially for a first time build! :clap2:

Very nice attention to detail. :)

I love your wire guards... mine are a boring grey color. :(

I think your rabbits are going to be very happy nestled up against the trees. :D

Awesome, I love it. Any idea how much it cost you to build it without tool purchases? When I built my racks I came to same conclusion, skip the nails and pre drill for screws. I had a different problem with my water bottles. I had intended to put them on the sides of the cages but didn't account for that when I made the rack. End result I had to put them on the fronts.

I wish I would have thought about a urine gaurd.

Pat yourself on the back from me as you did a great job.

ckcs: I will try to find the time to figure out my costs. May be impossible, but I will try. I know, I should have kept records. But I planned on this being my only one made from new materials because it is expensive. I want to get free barn boards and pallets from some sources I have, to make my next hutch or barn...I still have plenty of wire left. All I would have to buy is more latches, edge protectors (popsicle purple, my favourite!), screws, and urine guard.

First of all, it looks great! I would never have thought that was a beginner builder's cage.

Always, always use screws instead of nails when building. Hubby drilled that lesson into my head.

For support, you can cut some wood scraps and make braces. Let's see, how do I describe this? Cut a piece to fit from the back side
of the front leg at a diagonal to attach to the bottom frame. Sort of a wedge. Then do the same thing on each leg.

image.php

Look at the pink doe cage- see the 2 diagonal braces from the legs to the frame? those will keep the cage from racking.

And free barn boards and pallets?? Gotta love free stuff. That's what we make most of our projects from.

Seeing what you accomplished inspires me to get my hutches built. I have 2x4's from what others were tossing and osb board from taking apart son's fort bed. Just have to buy screws and get started. I have a friend giving me a lot of metal roofing for the roof. Now to start.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm __________<br /><br />Seeing what you accomplished inspires me to get my hutches built. I have 2x4's from what others were tossing and osb board from taking apart son's fort bed. Just have to buy screws and get started. I have a friend giving me a lot of metal roofing for the roof. Now to start.

Very true Mary Ann, I was thinking the same thing! But I want to make the next ones out of used lumber. This one was just too expensive.

From what I can see of your build, it's structurally sound.
Plywood sides and back will add a lot of strength to the structure, and prevent racking.
You might be able to source large pallets from Lowe's and Home Depot, as well as hvac companies. Lots of freight is shipped on 8'long skids, you just have to figure out who's doing it.
I have dozens of huge pallets, many with full 8' 2x4, 4x4, 1x6, etc...that I got free from a variety of places, simply because I could haul them away.
With pallets, look for a "ht" marking or branding on them. That's indicative of heat treating, instead of chemically treated, the latter of which could be very bad for your buns.
The few chem treated ones that snuck in are on the outdoor burn pile, as that's the only thing I'll use them for.
Drywall screws are really pointy, and you generally won't have to predrill. They have coarse threads, which give great holding strength in soft woods, like pine, fir, spruce, etc.
Great job on your project!

Wow! That is awesome! You did a fabulous job. It looks so professional with the urine guards and stuff. I can't build anything... at all... I usually design things and then have my husband build it. I guess I'm just a little scary with power tools. ;)

That looks really nice! :p I could never do something like that. I always need my Dad when it comes to things like that. Though I am good at tearing things apart! :twisted: :lol:

paper_crane2: I bought the wire guards from a guy I know who makes rabbit cages and sells them. I don't now where he gets them from.

SarahMelisse and Heritage Homestead: You can do anything you put your mind to. I don't have experience. I am not generally a talented person. I don't build stuff, and I didn't think I could do it. But I needed it and can't buy it, so it was necessary for me to try. Now that I know I can do it, I want to keep on building and improving...I have the power! Ahaha! And so do you! You CAN do it! Just believe in yourself, make a plan, edit your plan, and put it into motion. I made SEVERAL mistakes, but I fixed them every time. You can too. :D<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 am __________<br /><br />azbowhunter: Thanks for the tips...Unfortunately the railroads around here have been discontinued and are currently being ripped out of the ground :( ...SO I cannot get any of the large pallets you speak of. But there are plenty of small ones around. I do not have a way to pick any up because I only have a small car. I am going to try to borrow a truck from someone. I placed an ad on kijiji wanting free pallets, stating that I would pay for delivery. I hope I get some replies and that they are reasonable. I can hope, right? LOL Anyway, I am determined to make more, and to make them cheap. Someone advertized on kijiji that they want to buy a hutch if anyone has any...gave me the idea to build and sell some. Hmmmmm...

Urine guards for the wood! Duh, why didn't I think of that!?! Also good to put them under where the water bottles will be because leaky water bottles soak the wood and well...you know....

I love the door/hay rack idea! We are going to build my 2 HL does outdoor wood hutches measuring 4x2 for with 2x2 wire floor & a 2x2 wire door and the rest will be wood. I might make the hay rack to attach to the door.

Rabbirs can chew through chicken wire, and it really doesn't last very long. I wouldn't use it, I would get rabbit wire, and if you are not intending on breeding, I would use 1x2 wire, assuming you are going to have a wooden floor. Floor wire should be 1/2x1".

If we are just talking about wire fronts/sides, you could get a small roll at a place like Tractor Supply for not a lot of money.

Latest posts

Back