Breed Recommendation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyLu

Reaction score
What breed should I be looking for?

I already raise goats for milk and game birds for meat and to sell, so I am no stranger to raising my own food. I am thinking about converting my rabbit hutches back into rabbit hutches, now that I have adequate housing for all my game birds. I will be looking into rabbits primarily for meat, but I also want something with a really nice pelt because I intend to use every bit of each animal I butcher. I really dislike killing an animal so when it comes time I like to use everything I possibly can. I want something big enough to be worth the work of butchering, and with a nice coat, preferably not solid white. One other consideration is that I live in the pacific northwest. The climate here is tempeate: summer highs rarely reach the hundreds and winter lows occasionally reach the teens. The rabbits will be in a sheltered area, housed in hutches. There is wind and rain shelter but not much protection from the cold. I have only a basic knowledge where rabbits are concerned, but that is why I am here: to ask questions before I add a new critter to my homestead.

The standard rex have an awesome pelt. I am new to rabbits, but this is the breed I went with. From what I understand, they grow a touch slower than some other meat breeds, but I love how soft their fur is!

What area of the country do you live in? Heat is an issue for me in Central Texas so a thick coated breed would be almost impossible without an indoor rabbitry. That is my only caution with a true dual purpose breed.

Californians have decent coats and finding rabbits specifically bred for meat is a little easier with this breed than with some others.

I have also been researching American Chinchillas. I have never raised them, but everything I am reading makes them sound like the perfect dual purpose breed. Plus, they are on the rare breeds list. Raising them would serve three purposes. Meat, fur and conservation. Just my two cents, hope it helps...

Joe

I was going to suggest rex as well with your climate. If you were closer I'd offer to share some of the meat/fur mutts I've been working on. They are good meat producers, and are part silverfox for plush coats, I just crossed those to some other meat breeds to improve some traits they were weak on, and expand the colors.

Hi AmyLu!

:welcomewagon:

I live NE of Bakersfield in the mountains, and have a similar climate, although much more arid. I raise Rex and Satins. They both come in a huge variety of colors and each have very unique fur types.

My Satins grow a lot faster than the Rex, but they are quite high strung compared to my mellow Rex.

I travel the West Coast attending rabbit shows, so if you are interested in either of those breeds we may be able to arrange transport nearer your area at an upcoming show.

I raise Californians and prefer them personally, but aside from Standard Rex, you may want to consider rabbits like Palominos and Champagne D'Argents. Gorgeous pelts.

If you are new to rabbits you might just want to go with the healthiest, CHEAPEST, rabbits you can get as a starting place. After you get to a comfortable place on the learning curve its easier to switch to pure bred stock.

Any pelt is worth learning to tan with but again, learning on your prime pelts just adds that level of stress we none of us need. :lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of rabbits though, they are fantastic beasties! :D

I raise Giant Chinchillas because with a limited number of cages, this breed will get you more total meat than a standard breed. The GCs eat about 50% more than a New Zealand, so their efficiency is less, but the pelts are beautiful, they have a high dress-out percentage, and the rabbits are very calm to deal with. If you're trying to make money, go with New Zealands or other standard breeds. But to maximize total meat per cage, I go with GCs.

Latest posts

Back