iron-on hem tape with rabbit pelts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have been considering adding rabbit fur trim to a couple of garments, but I have almost zero experience with sewing of any kind. While looking online for advice, I stumbled across mention of using iron-on hemming tape to attach FAKE fur trim to clothing. Now that stuff is right up my alley! Does anyone have any idea if the tape could be used with real fur? I suppose I could experiment with scraps of each material, but was curious if anyone has tried it already.

If it would make any difference, I have two types of tanned pelts: EZ-100 (a phenolic synthetic tan) and alum.

Thanks!

Yeah, I figured this would be an experimentation sort of thing.

I hadn't decided exactly which garments I would try to amend. But I tend to wear mostly cotton, cotton blends, and random synthetics.

I guess the related question is - what would happen to a pelt if you ironed it?

My thought would be that it would burn the fur if the iron was in direct contact with the fur. If it has a light cotton over it, like a sheet, I think this would be enough of a barrier to keep the fur from burning but still allow the adhesive tape to be melted into place.

You want to keep a hot iron as far away from fur as possible. Leather itself is pretty heat resistant though, so if the heat only ever contacts the hairless side.
Like...if you ironed with the fabric on top, than the tape, and the bare leather on the bottom with the fur side pointed down, farthest from the heat. I think it would be alright, but that would make adding nice trim pretty tricky..

Back