What Rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lop breeds are usually pretty mellow. Holland Lops are the smallest, and if bred to standard should not get over 4lbs.

Another excellent choice is the Himalayan which should mature to no more than 4 1/2lbs. They also have a very placid nature. If you have very young children that tend to carry animals without proper support, they are your best choice because they don't have an arched spine. They are a very popular show rabbit with very young Youth exhibitors because of this, and I often see them carried through the showroon like rag dolls.

Rabbits do not always get along well with one another, so you will need to have a separate cage for the new rabbit, at least at first.

right now we have a Netherlands dwarf. that looks mixed. the vet thinks he is half netherlands dwarf because of his size. my kids are are 6,9, 13. my oldest is the one that holds him daily. we all pet him daily to. he really loves to smell everything and loves to be hand feed and loved on to. we all play with him.I problemly will get another Netherlands or something like that. we won't get it soon. How do I post pictures from my cell phone on to here. I have pictures of our rabbit. :bunnyhop:

If you're looking for more of a "show" Netherland, its going to be more expensive. I would say the one you have is one a breeder sold as a pet quality one or some one with not so "show" typed ND. Not saying he couldn't be a mix, just that not all rabbits look like the breed ideal or a current "show" year model. Even a Holland Lop can not look like a "show" typed Holland Lop in general looks/size (they are some very big ones, my first ones were 6lbs and the 2 kids I have left from that particular breeding time are definitely not mixed just poor example for show/breeding but still love them any way).

Mini Rex make awesome pets...but I'm biased lol. They can have prickly nails though, its not that they may try to scratch but because of how they grow they tend to be sharp. If nothing else, I use a nail file to take the sharp edges off when I groom/as needed. If you're looking for a more relaxed rabbit, English Lops are great (but they are bigger and need to have ears cleaned gently when wax build up happens). They can be big goof balls, love to be petted, but the ones I had weren't cuddle bugs. Their body structure makes it harder on them to be held comfortably no matter how they are held IMO.

There should be an option in the full editor to post images, upload them. I'm on a laptop so its easier to find the button for it, maybe some one else knows more how to do it from a phone.

I've never had a fixed rabbit. I've had rabbits live VERY long lives, 15 and 16 years, and they were retired breeds...so I'm rather skeptical of "must be fixed to prolong life" with rabbits.

Back