Question re: Salander color genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
This summer in my meat cross rabbits I had one salander doe in a litter sired by a harlequin colored buck. Mom was agouti colored I think. If I wanted to reproduce this lovely color/pattern what color of buck should I breed her to? I have harlequin, tortoiseshell, fawn and orange bucks. Or...is there another color that would give me a better chance?

Sallander a have 3 recessives - self, chinchilla and non- extension- aa B_ cchd_ D_ ee

The tort has 2 of them for certain - self and non-extension - and if your tort has fathered chinchilla, shaded, himilayan or REW you should get a sallander.

The tort is still the best bet but if the other bucks have produced kits that are self, chinchilla and fawn (or torts) then he must carry the necessary recessives and should give you a sallander.

Keep in mind that the doe might not carry chinchilla and it was the buck that contributed that gene to the sallander so it may take a few generations to figure it out.

Thanks so much for the advice Dood. The color is so pretty it is worth figuring out, not to mention that a mostly white pattern is advantageous in a meat rabbit.

Latest posts

Back