pus like sustance from female vulva

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
This morning when checking all my does to see if any are ready to breed.(All were wrinkled and off white)
I saw a pus like semi-thick fluid coming from one of my does vulva (maybe a drops worth). Her vulva is whitish pink with a little reddish tent just inside of the vulva. After wiping away the fluid I saw no further leakage. Anyone have any idea what this can be?

I have had all my does for about a month and a half and none of them show signs of readiness to breed. I have read all the threads I can find about getting a doe to breed and have tried most of them. One of my does is in a cage next to my buck in hopes that would help. I even tried putting a different does in with him for up to an hour at a time ( with me watching them at all times)each on different days,no go. Also, I tried some of the does on several consecutive days.
Have given ACV in their water,parsley,pumpkin,ginger root,apple and other treats. I have yet to make a round cage so there would be no corners for the does to put her butt up against. I don't see how that would do much good as the buck mounts her but they all just wont lift or they dart out from under him.I tried holding them down but they fight to the point I am afraid I will brake some of their bones by holding them too tight. That is how hard they fight to get away.
The cages are in full shade all day long.Temps have been in the mid 50"s in the morning sometimes reaching low to mid 80's in the afternoon.

Would a doe breed if she never turns red or purple?

It could just be sloughed skin from her bladder but could also be a uterine infection AKA pyometria :(

If I recall correctly you bought adult rabbits - I wonder if the breeder was selling you his culls that we're giving him problems as well :shrug:

Yes I did buy 3 adult rabbits. The buck died 2 weeks after getting them home. This rabbit is one of the ones I got from him. He could have done that to me. I have no way to prove it though.

My two other does were bought from another breeder.

I will have to look up pyometria and see if that is the problem and how to treat it. I don't think it was any kind of skin as I didn't see any solids to the fluid. But I could be wrong,it has happened once or twice in the last 60 years. :p

craneman54":17mlxm9y said:
I saw a pus like semi-thick fluid coming from one of my does vulva (maybe a drops worth).

You could place your fingers to either side of her vent and press gently but firmly, like you're trying to sex her. See if any more of this substance comes out. :(

It is explained in this post.
http://rabbittalk.com/judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html <br /><br /> -- Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:18 pm -- <br /><br />
Miss M":2jqz97ow said:
craneman54":2jqz97ow said:
I saw a pus like semi-thick fluid coming from one of my does vulva (maybe a drops worth).

You could place your fingers to either side of her vent and press gently but firmly, like you're trying to sex her. See if any more of this substance comes out. :(

I did that after wiping her this morning. There was a small amount in the opening that I was able to wipe off also.

I just went and checked her again and all looks normal. No fluid and the same whitish pink color of the vulva.

I don't know what to suggest about the discharge, but regarding the reluctance to breed, I'd be interested to know what you are feeding them. Sometimes rabbits lacking in Vitamins A and E will show no interest in breeding. While a good pelleted food is considered "complete", those particular vitamins are vulnerable to heat and to prolonged or poor storage conditions.

Consider giving the rabbits some dark leafy greens for Vitamin A (ease them in slowly if they are not used to greens) and some sunflower seeds for Vitamin E. I've given this advice (found in Ann Kanable's book, Raising Rabbits) to many people over the years. If the problem is nutritional, it seems to help.

Another thing you can try is to give the rabbits Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea for a day or two before breeding. Many people swear by it, but we have not been able to determine why it sometimes helps. Worth a try. :)

I feed 18% protein pellets and I switch between parsley,mustard greens,apple and grass hay.I have a small cube of Timothy hay I give to my 6 month old doe cause she is the only one that will eat it. I do have calf-mana and Boss on hand if you think it would help. I put ACV (self watering system)in the water and give each of them a piece of ginger root once or twice a week. I also just started this morning with some wheat fodder. They ate the green tops but not much of the matt bottom.

I will see bout getting some Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea when I go to the store Tuesday. Maybe that will help.

As for the pellet storage I buy just what I need for about a month. It is stored in sealed containers that are inside a weather proof rack I built just for the feed and hay.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. :D

Craneman, I wasn't suggesting that you do not store their pellets properly... the damage is sometimes done long before the consumer buys it.
Sounds like the fresh greens should provide adequate Vitamin A. In your place, I'd also give a bit of BOSS for the Vitamin E.

Please let us know if the Raspberry Zinger works for your rabbits. I'm always skeptical of ideas like this, but quite a few people on at least two forums have had good luck with it.

I wasn't suggesting that you do not store their pellets properly

I didn't take your question to mean you were making that suggestion at all. If what I wrote lead you to believe I did, I am truly sorry. I was just explaining what I have done to keep good food for the bunnies. :D

I will start giving some BOSS in the morning. How much would you say I should give?

I will let everyone know if the tea works. If it does not help and the bunnies still don't want to mate then I guess I will have some darn expensive meat in the freezer before too long. :( I can't keep feeding them and not get any return for my time and investment. :x I do like going out during the day to feed and pet them. :D

I'd start them on a teaspoon of BOSS and work it up to about two teaspoons. It will only help if the problem is nutritional.

There are lots of tricks for getting rabbits to breed, so don't give up if the BOSS and the raspberry tea don't work right off the bat. I'll see if I can find a couple of older threads where this is discussed.

Latest posts

Back