My rabbit bit me :-O

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley34

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place for this but just needed some advice we had our indoor male rabbit neutered 10 days ago and the vet said it would be safe to introduce him to our female after a week as we've been keeping them seperate, anyway last night we let them both loose in our front room but he got so excited he started pooping everywhere he then tried to mount her, I kept removing him and put my arm round her to stop him doing it but he bit my arm really hard, he's nibbled me gently before but never anything like this, it really really hurt, anyway not sure what's going on as he's normally such a docile bunny :( my hopes were that they would eventually become best friends that could run around and play together but at the moment this seems impossible, any advice or does anyone know why he did this ?

I suspect his hormones haven't caught up with his neutering yet. That's just a guess on my part though. I've got a buck, who though not neutered, acts similar when with a doe and you go to remove her following breeding. Little bugger bit the crap out of me expressing his displeasure. Once the lady is gone he's back to his normal self. I would have thought 10 days for your buck would be plenty of time, but maybe not in his case. At least you'll know to watch out for this behavior in the future and hopefully it goes away.

Ramjet":1fsxrmar said:
Rabbit bites me , I bite it .... For Dinner.
Yup, processing a couple of biters out of my heard today.
Hayley34":1fsxrmar said:
... he bit my arm really hard....
Umm. He's just paying you back for clipping his "wings". :x
I agree with Lastfling, It's probably just hormones still...

Guys...these are PET bunnies! :evil:

I agree with the others, it's probably just hormones. But...it's important to handle your rabbit assertively. Don't let them get away with nipping you to tell you to move. Don't ever set them down if they are struggling. They do need to learn to accept your decisions, otherwise problem behaviors will just get worse.

All the same, don't ever EVER discipline a rabbit, as it will only make things worse. Just handle assertively and consistently.

Rabbits don't really co operate with our idea that spaying and neutering aill automatically allow them to get along. They are complex social animals. Each and every rabbit are individuals and have their own likes and dislikes.

Pooping everywhere is one of those social behaviors...it's territorial marking. When you introduce your rabbits, make sure it's in neutral territory. Someplace neither bunny thinks it owns. (Bathroom perhaps?)
Here's a link to house rabbit societie's guidelines:
http://rabbit.org/faq-bonding-multiple-rabbits/

Spaying and neutering only makes it possible to keep males and females together without pregnancy...but it's no guarantee they will actually LIKE each other. If your vet or anyone else claimed the rabbits would get along fine if he was neutered...shame on them. They are either lying to make a sale, or they don't know enough about rabbit behavior to be handing out advice.

Zass":2dfj5a7u said:

I realize they are pets .... but there are just too many nice rabbits for me to put up with one that bites.

My breeders are for all intents and purposes pets .... but if one were to bite it'd find itself in a pot in a hurry. :popcorn:

I know it probably comes off as insensitive ..... but its the honest truth.

Most of us tend to cull for temperament , biting would fall into that description.

Ramjet":18044qi7 said:
Zass":18044qi7 said:

I realize they are pets .... but there are just too many nice rabbits for me to put up with one that bites.

My breeders are for all intents and purposes pets .... but if one were to bite it'd find itself in a pot in a hurry. :popcorn:

I know it probably comes off as insensitive ..... but its the honest truth.

Most of us tend to cull for temperament , biting would fall into that description.

I'm one of the first to say the same with regards to breeding.

The time to be choosy about temperament is when selecting which breeder to buy from to begin with. Unfortunately, HRS promotes that behavior is based on handling and not genetics. I disagree completely. Although I do realize that the viewpoint is designed to encourage people to work with their ill tempered rabbits instead of abandoning them... It also gives people the impression that rabbit breeders do not need to select for temperament in order to produce good pets. IMO, it's a disastrous mindset that is going to lead to many more abandoned rabbits.

All that aside, after the neuter is the wrong time to think of such things. The bunny is obviously already a part of the family. They are just going to have to work a bit harder in order to manage the situation. According to HRS website, mounting isn't automatically a negative behavior in this situation. If the doe doesn't seem to mind, it's considered a form of acceptance of him. You might not want to put your arm in between them! That bite was the same bite he would have given any other rabbit that got between him and the doe he was trying to mate.

Imposing an unprotected arm between a buck and a doe isn't exactly...a normal interaction.

Some bucks get possessive of their does. If you leave them together he may worry less that his doe might go away and calm down about it. There is no guarantee they will get along though. Does are aggressive and territorial even though they are social animals. I suggest spaying of does intended as indoor pets with lots of interaction. Intros need done carefully and in enough space. A bathroom might be good for dwarf or the smaller end of some other breeds but anything Dutch size or bigger I'd use an area closer to the size of a bedroom. Put out a few obstacles to break up the line of sight so they can get away from each other.

Some does are just mellow.
She didn't mention having any problems with her. If the doe didn't attack you or the buck than I'd think she was fine just the way she is.

I have two separate bloodlines here that produce very nice adult does without the need for surgical alteration. (although I've messed one of them up by adding SF genetics.)
My intact house doe is sugar sweet to both me and other rabbits.

But... she will still "miss" her litterbox and scatter pellets all over her pen if I bring another rabbit in. ;)

The advice I have always followed regarding when it is safe to put a neutered male (of any type, humans included) with a female without the risk of pregnancy is to wait at least one month. Not only does it take a while for the hormone production to change, but sperm can live in the vas deferens (tube coming from each testicle to penis) for at least several weeks.

Unless you want some "miracle bunnies" I would wait a few more weeks before letting them out together. ;) Hopefully by that time his testosterone levels will have dropped and any mounting behavior he engages in will be dominance related with no sexual components.

Ramjet":367vge3c said:
Zass wrote:Guys...these are PET bunnies! :evil:

Zass":367vge3c said:
after the neuter is the wrong time to think of such things. The bunny is obviously already a part of the family.

Telling someone to eat their house pet isn't really a viable way to handle the problem... and we need to give the poor bunny a little leeway here.

It was his first time with a doe and he was in a highly excitable state of mind and likely very frustrated. Our breeding bucks learn that we bring them does and any interference is meant to help.

I think many bucks would have the same reaction their first time if we tried to block them from the doe. :? Anyone care to check my hypothesis for me? :twisted: Cuz I'm sure not about to try it! ;)

Not every breed has been bred to be completely docile either. More excitable breeds like the running breeds have reputations of nipping in some situations. I had to watch my checkered crosses. Some netherlands also are a bit risky to shove your hand in with a doe and buck. The goal is not always a calm commercial meat rabbit and sometimes it's very hard to maintain the alertness and bold personality, both for pet preference purposes and for setting up right on the table, without getting negative traits.

MamaSheepdog":2u8f9tcw said:
The advice I have always followed regarding when it is safe to put a neutered male (of any type, humans included) with a female without the risk of pregnancy is to wait at least one month. Not only does it take a while for the hormone production to change, but sperm can live in the vas deferens (tube coming from each testicle to penis) for at least several weeks.

this is correct

Unless you want some "miracle bunnies" I would wait a few more weeks before letting them out together. ;) Hopefully by that time his testosterone levels will have dropped and any mounting behavior he engages in will be dominance related with no sexual components.

Ramjet":2u8f9tcw said:
Zass wrote:Guys...these are PET bunnies! :evil:

Zass":2u8f9tcw said:
after the neuter is the wrong time to think of such things. The bunny is obviously already a part of the family.

Telling someone to eat their house pet isn't really a viable way to handle the problem... and we need to give the poor bunny a little leeway here.

]it is way too soon to decide the rabbit is not going to make a good pet, I have seen a lot of aggressiveness after a neuter, in a lot of rabbits that "got over it"

It was his first time with a doe and he was in a highly excitable state of mind and likely very frustrated. Our breeding bucks learn that we bring them does and any interference is meant to help.

I think many bucks would have the same reaction their first time if we tried to block them from the doe. :? Anyone care to check my hypothesis for me? :twisted: Cuz I'm sure not about to try it! ;)

I believe you are right, and I have a lot of scars to show "breeding time" [or does frustrated by lack of breeding] is not a great time to assess temperament.

but the above comment about being assertive when handling your rabbit is very valid , you should never let rabbits bite you , even gently , with out being scolded, and maybe pushed to the floor [gently ] with your hand on their shoulders and held there for a minute .

I think his hormones are starting to calm down as when he used to have floor time he would run and jump about like crazy, never sitting still, he's now a lot calmer, I'm still not going to reintroduce them yet though but I thought as they are separated In A 2 tier cage I would alternate who goes at the top each night so that they get used to each other's smell, at the moment I'm doing 3 hour shifts for out of the hutch time so they both get to run and play with the toys for a good while separately I'm not going to lie though im absolutely hoping they do eventually become friends so they can both have full run of the hutch and both come out to play together :)

You would need to put the cages side by side which will allow them to spend time close to each other.
If eventually they lay up against the cages to be close to each other without getting excited would be the time to allow them to meet in person.

Spaying the female will put them on even ground and in my opinion, a must for a healthy house rabbit female that doesn't need to reproduce.

I am planning on getting my female neutered but the vet asked me to wait till she was a little bigger :) I am to be honest slightly offended that someone suggested that because Bubbles bit me once that they wouldn't keep him, he's not usually a biter it only happened once he's normally a very sweet loving bunny and is already a very much loved part of our family:( I cannot put the cage side by side as it is a wooden cage that is built one on top of the other if that makes sense, I've noticed when a Bubbles is let out of the hutch to play in the front room he goes to see fudge in the hutch and they sniff and investigate each other through the bars without any aggression also he spends a lot of time hanging around the hutch where she is rather than playing with his toys that are scattered all over the floor so I think we're making progress :)

Hayley34":1uathlqo said:
I am planning on getting my female neutered but the vet asked me to wait till she was a little bigger :) I am to be honest slightly offended that someone suggested that because Bubbles bit me once that they wouldn't keep him,

I agree, they aren't stuffed toys that never react.

he's not usually a biter it only happened once he's normally a very sweet loving bunny and is already a very much loved part of our family:( I cannot put the cage side by side as it is a wooden cage that is built one on top of the other if that makes sense, I've noticed when a Bubbles is let out of the hutch to play in the front room he goes to see fudge in the hutch and they sniff and investigate each other through the bars without any aggression also he spends a lot of time hanging around the hutch where she is rather than playing with his toys that are scattered all over the floor so I think we're making progress :)

Excellent!

Hayley34":3dg8cfp3 said:
I am planning on getting my female neutered but the vet asked me to wait till she was a little bigger :) I am to be honest slightly offended that someone suggested that because Bubbles bit me once that they wouldn't keep him, he's not usually a biter it only happened once he's normally a very sweet loving bunny and is already a very much loved part of our family:( I cannot put the cage side by side as it is a wooden cage that is built one on top of the other if that makes sense, I've noticed when a Bubbles is let out of the hutch to play in the front room he goes to see fudge in the hutch and they sniff and investigate each other through the bars without any aggression also he spends a lot of time hanging around the hutch where she is rather than playing with his toys that are scattered all over the floor so I think we're making progress :)

I'm sorry. The poster was being a bit insensitive. He's a pet rabbit and that answer wasn't too helpful. And as others have mentioned, breeding time is going to end up with a not-normal rabbit

That's great! And it's understandable you haven't spayed her yet. It's a much more invasive surgery. But I wouldn't try to actually bond them until she's spayed as well. Not only will the bonding usually go better, but then she won't be separated for a couple days (which would be damaging for their bond).

Best of luck with them. Bubbles is an adorable name!

I did research when I neutered one of my rabbits and people were saying the hormones stay in their system for up to 6 weeks, so he's going to get just as crazy and excited as an intact rabbit when he is with a female. Also, I think its weird when people say to cull a normally sweet rabbit because he bit you once. When breeding or fighting, rabbits get into such a frenzy they don't know what they are doing, he didn't know he was biting his owner, he was just biting at something getting in his way of his breeding the female.

Latest posts

Back