*** MALE or FEMALE? Great pictures ***

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
This post is really for me to be able to go back and find when I need to.

I often have people that purchase our bunnies contact me after the sale and ask how they can check the sex in a few more weeks. I've found good information on this website, but often hit one thread that has the images deleted. One time I found this link and it's really good with great pictures.

Go to this link and scroll about 2/3 down the page. There are some GREAT pictures and it tells you how to tell for sure.
http://backyardbunniesrabbitry.webs.com/apps/faq/

How can I tell what sex my bunny is?

Rabbits are very difficult to sex when they are young, but you get better at it with experience. Around 2-3 weeks usually you can see enough to make a pretty good guess.

You will need to put your fingers right next to either side of the genital area and gently press down. This causes the genital area to "pop" out more so you can see the inside better. This doesn't hurt the rabbit.

Young bucks will have a protruding "tube" with a circular hole on top. The hole usually has somewhat of a slit or large opening which confuses most people, making them think it is a doe. Older bucks are much more obvious because they have a testicle on each side of the penis. Bucks have testicles that descend between 9 - 20 weeks of age.

Unlike bucks, does have a "slit" that goes ALL the way down to the body. It is an opening that starts at the high point and ends where the genitals meet the body, near the anus. When viewed from the side it looks like a pyramid. Sometimes the area appears to have some dark red or purple coloring (this is the best time to breed the doe) while other times it is light pink.

Here is a photo of a 5 week old Bucks penis...

1.jpg

And here are two photos of an adult Buck...

2.jpg3.jpg

This last photo is of an adult Does vagina...

4.jpg
See how the slit goes all the way down to the body? Babies & Jr. Does look pretty much the same, except smaller!

Here is a really clear photo of the difference between a buck & doe...
5.jpg

Your link didn't post properly, Jimmy.

jimmywalt":2nle8hxg said:
I've found good information on this website, but often hit one thread that has the images deleted.

That's the problem with outside image hosters. :angry: We really need to redo that thread...

Where are the pictures showing distance between pee and poop holes in sexing baby rabbits? All my babies look like females cause I don't know how to tell the difference in distance.

Much as I hate to do this, I need to delete the pictures from this thread, at least temporarily. :( I visited the website the photos are from, and found this at the bottom of each page:

© 2008-2013 - Backyard Bunnies Rabbitry. No part of this website may be reproduced without written permission from site owner. Website Owner: Brittany Deshotel

The website is no longer active, but I am going to try to contact the owner anyway to seek permission. Until then, here is the link to the site and photos:

http://backyardbunniesrabbitry.webs.com/apps/faq/

Darn! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

WE all really NEED those pictures.

Darn. Let's hope we can get permission.............. If not......... I'm all about asking for forgiveness if I get caught. LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:30 pm --

UPON FURTHER RESEARCH THE PICTURES ARE NOT PROPERTY OF THAT WEBSITE

I did a Google Image search of the the last picture "Buck/Doe". It was posted on the website I linked on 2/14/14. It was posted on this http://catalayarabbitry.weebly.com/blog/previous/2 site on 12/17/13. It was also posted on others as well BEFORE it was on the original site I linked.

Look at the Google Image search results here:
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...VXg_1jbH5BJkhJpc6tKf4XcFwH4yPBvivSAbxwiRnb7B6

Therefore the site I referenced has no right to say we can't copy the pictures............. They don't own them!

I don't have time to Google Image search the rest, but I bet they all were copied from elsewhere!

I say we put them back up!!! <br /><br /> -- Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:34 pm -- <br /><br /> UPDATE #2

Checked out this picture on Google Image search
4.jpg

It was posted on goldenbunnies.co.uk It was posted on June 16, 2007, so it was copied as well.

Mamasheep dog can decide........... but I vote 1000% for the pictures going back up.

In light of this new information, so carefully sleuthed out by yourself :detective: , you can go ahead and reinsert the pictures, Jimmy. :)

Thank you for going to the effort of tracking down their origins. I know that these will be a great help to all of our members!

:thankyou:

Latest posts

Back