Register

*** MALE or FEMALE? Great pictures ***

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

*** MALE or FEMALE? Great pictures ***

Post Number:#1  Unread postby jimmywalt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:34 am

This post is really for me to be able to go back and find when I need to.

I often have people that purchase our bunnies contact me after the sale and ask how they can check the sex in a few more weeks. I've found good information on this website, but often hit one thread that has the images deleted. One time I found this link and it's really good with great pictures.

Go to this link and scroll about 2/3 down the page. There are some GREAT pictures and it tells you how to tell for sure.
http://backyardbunniesrabbitry.webs.com/apps/faq/

How can I tell what sex my bunny is?

Rabbits are very difficult to sex when they are young, but you get better at it with experience. Around 2-3 weeks usually you can see enough to make a pretty good guess.

You will need to put your fingers right next to either side of the genital area and gently press down. This causes the genital area to "pop" out more so you can see the inside better. This doesn't hurt the rabbit.

Young bucks will have a protruding "tube" with a circular hole on top. The hole usually has somewhat of a slit or large opening which confuses most people, making them think it is a doe. Older bucks are much more obvious because they have a testicle on each side of the penis. Bucks have testicles that descend between 9 - 20 weeks of age.

Unlike bucks, does have a "slit" that goes ALL the way down to the body. It is an opening that starts at the high point and ends where the genitals meet the body, near the anus. When viewed from the side it looks like a pyramid. Sometimes the area appears to have some dark red or purple coloring (this is the best time to breed the doe) while other times it is light pink.

Here is a photo of a 5 week old Bucks penis...

1.jpg
1.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 940 times

And here are two photos of an adult Buck...

2.jpg
2.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 940 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 940 times

This last photo is of an adult Does vagina...

4.jpg
4.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 940 times

See how the slit goes all the way down to the body? Babies & Jr. Does look pretty much the same, except smaller!

Here is a really clear photo of the difference between a buck & doe...
5.jpg
5.jpg (140.74 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Last edited by jimmywalt on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

The following user would like to thank jimmywalt for this post
EnglishSpot

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Re: *** MALE or FEMALE? Great pictures ***

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 am

Your link didn't post properly, Jimmy.

jimmywalt wrote:I've found good information on this website, but often hit one thread that has the images deleted.

That's the problem with outside image hosters. :angry: We really need to redo that thread...
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
jimmywalt

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,441.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby a7736100 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:00 am

Where are the pictures showing distance between pee and poop holes in sexing baby rabbits? All my babies look like females cause I don't know how to tell the difference in distance.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,151.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Easy Ears » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 am

Great pics Jimmywalt! :D
Oh, and I love your profile pick!!!!!! :love:
At Easy Ears Rabbitry I raise pedigree Holland lops, Dutch and Netherland Dwarfs.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/easyearsrabbitry/