When bees attack!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzy

Reaction score
Don't worry, there has been no bee attack, but I did need some advice on the topic. I have two giant ficas trees, and sometimes I put the rabbit cage under them because it's in a shady corner of the yard. Right now, the trees are blossoming, and the bees are really going at it. The bees do this every year, and they are not aggressive (the gate is right by the branches, and the bees don't mind me going in and out).

History suggests that they won't bother the rabbit if her cage is under the tree for a few hours, but perhaps the more seasoned rabbit folk here has a different opinion. Has anybody had an unfortunate incident with bees?

If the bees are just collecting pollen and don't have a hive nearby they shouldn't attack on purpose. You always have the risk though of a bee going somewhere it shouldn't while the other animal goes to use the water/feed/whatever and might get stung. I haven't ever been stung by a honey bee but most people here have used the least aggressive strain of honey bee and some have gone wild and might have mixed with our also pretty tame wild honey bees.. I've only been stung by bumble bees which are a little more aggressive. However these days in warmer climates you never know what combo your bees are and how aggressive they are.

I wouldn't worry about them purposefully going after the rabbits. I would just make certain to never have anything sweet in her cage like fruit when she is there.

I have had an odd bee experience with the rabbits, though.

When the bees here first start venturing forth after winter, they are always really hungry or at least desperate for something to gather since nothing really is blooming. They are always hovering around my compost pile, especially when there are orange peels in it, but they also seem interested in the coffee grounds for some odd reason. :?

Anyway... last year I was feeding a grain mix of rolled oats, barley, and BOSS, and had a rabbit quarantined near the house. The bees were constantly in her feed bowl gathering little crumbs of oats. They never bothered the doe, but it had me worried enough that I tried feeding them sugar water- which they ignored- so I gave them their very own bowl of oats which kept at least some of them busy elsewhere.

They'll go after grains. Some people have had problems with them coating their poultry feeders. That's where the risk lies. If they decide the cage has a food and water supply. Doesn't really bother poultry because they just eat bees but it might be an issue for small mammals.

Back