Using a Rabbit Wringer, Hopper Popper, etc

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trufflelady":1jautzan said:
Sal? I thought we were talking about dispatching rabbits via a cervical dislocation method like the rabbit wringer since, in this thread, I've seen talk of the broomstick method, homemade welded and wooden wringers, etc. I was just trying to share information like others have shared with me over the years... something I have always appreciated about rabbit owners. I apologize if I broke a rule or offended anyone.

I don't believe you did anything wrong Trufflelady! It's good to share information. :)

I think Salpiz did well to describe their take on the differences between the two devices as well.

Salpizz":2hxlns28 said:
@Trufflelady..this is a thread about use of a Rabbit Wringer. Not a Pooper!

Salpizz, thread drift is a very common occurrence here at RabbitTalk, and often results in some very valuable insights. That said, it is certainly not your place to correct other members behavior in your very first post on this or any forum.

I suspect that you are upset because others are copying your idea. I visited your site and see that you have patents pending. Having one successful invention already, and another patent application currently submitted, I am well aware of the effort and expense involved in bringing a product to market. If your patent submission is accepted, your attorney can than address the possible infringement by others marketing similar devices.

United States
Main article: Patent infringement under United States law

In United States law, an infringement may occur where the defendant has made, used, sold, offered to sell, or imported an infringing invention or its equivalent.[12] One also commits indirect infringement if he actively and knowingly induces another to infringe, and is liable for that infringement. Types of "indirect infringement" include "contributory infringement" and "induced infringement."

No infringement action may be started until the patent is issued. However, pre-grant protection is available under 35 U.S.C. § 154(d), which allows a patent owner to obtain reasonable royalty damages for certain infringing activities that occurred before patent's date of issuance. This right to obtain provisional damages requires a patent holder to show that (1) the infringing activities occurred after the publication of the patent application, (2) the patented claims are substantially identical to the claims in the published application, and (3) the infringer had "actual notice" of the published patent application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_infringement

Technically, making a homemade version for one's own use is considered infringement, but this is rarely enforced due to the cost of prosecution being more than the value of the product.

Enforcement

The owner of a valid enforceable patent may sue another party (person, corporation, etc.) infringing on the patent and obtain an order from a court which performs one or all of the following:

An injunction (a legal order) ordering the infringer to stop making and/or selling the product.
Money for the lost profits or other damages suffered due to the infringer's activity.
Attorney fees (rare).

Damages for Infringement

Simply put, if you have actual knowledge that you are infringing on a patent, you are liable for treble damages to the patent-holder. That means that you have to pay three times whatever the patent-holder lost due to your infringement. And if you are really nasty when infringing and/or during the subsequent litigation, you may have to pay the other side's legal fees too.

http://www.tannedfeet.com/patent_law.htm

MamaSheepdog":3k0tpx5p said:
I recently had to dispatch an ill rabbit and used a pellet gun. I pressed the barrel to the spine at the base of the head aiming toward the mouth. Death was instantaneous, with no extended kicking or flailing about as we had seen when firing into the brain.

My usual method is to bonk them on the forehead and then quickly slit the throat since we feed the heads to our dogs. This particular rabbit had a snotty nose so the head was discarded.

OneAcreFarm":3k0tpx5p said:
Yup that is how we do it too!

Me too ... its instant.

I place them in a box designed to hold them in place with a small hole for the barrel so I don't have to look at them either ....

Trufflelady":31d5cj9f said:
Sal? I thought we were talking about dispatching rabbits via a cervical dislocation method like the rabbit wringer since, in this thread, I've seen talk of the broomstick method, homemade welded and wooden wringers, etc. I was just trying to share information like others have shared with me over the years... something I have always appreciated about rabbit owners. I apologize if I broke a rule or offended anyone.

Trufflelady, you did nothing wrong and the information you posted was relevant and helpful. I was sorry to see another new member with a vested interest in a product try to stifle discussion of alternatives.

I just want people to know the facts. We make the best quality products, and always will, period.

They (hop-pop) sell a much cheaper product (copied from my products) which is also not very good. The whole point in designing the Butcher Station was ease in use. They tried to copy ours but fell very short. It may look similar, but with ours you don't have to twist the leg around the rod to get it to hold. That's so ridiculous. That's no better than using two hooks screwed into a wall. They also copied our original Wringer, badly. Our new Wringer is better than our original in every way.

For those who are adept at using cervical dislocation, can anyone describe how to position the rabbit to make dispatching as easy as possible on everyone involved? Is the bar on the CD suppose to be positions at the top of the neck/base of the skull? Is the rabbits chin suppose to be tilted up? We had one rabbit during the last harvest that must have had steel in his neck, because I had to pull with my full weight to get it to pop... and I wondered if I was doing something wrong. I have watched videos, but I they all seem different, and I just wanted some insight from those who know. :)

Btw, I agree with Salpizz that the hopper popper butcher station is awkward and useless... but the CD device is similar to many of the homemade ones I've seen, fwiw.

@Trufflelady.. You want the bar at the back of the skull. Don't worry, as you pull the rod you will find its sweet spot. The chin should be well supported and not necessarily up, just well supported. If you had trouble it may just be because it was an older rabbit. CV on any rabbit over 20-24 weeks is going to be tough. I recommend blunt force trauma or gunshot on larger rabbits.

**I came up with a method of making a Wringer that anyone with basic skills can make at home. Would anyone be interested in plans/kit? Testing the waters on this right now.

PS: Please do not refer to their hanger as a Butcher Station. Butcher Station is our Trademark.

Salpizz":1zpltv9f said:
@Trufflelady.. You want the bar at the back of the skull. Don't worry, as you pull the rod you will find its sweet spot. The chin should be well supported and not necessarily up, just well supported. If you had trouble it may just be because it was an older rabbit. CV on any rabbit over 20-24 weeks is going to be tough. I recommend blunt force trauma or gunshot on larger rabbits.

**I came up with a method of making a Wringer that anyone with basic skills can make at home. Would anyone be interested in plans/kit? Testing the waters on this right now.

PS: Please do not refer to their hanger as a Butcher Station. Butcher Station is our Trademark.

I have some interest in that Salpizz.
Is it to be constructed of things that can be purchased from most hardware stores?

Here's the thing, I'm going to copyright the plans and sell the parts with a template, but since my labor is limited to cutting a rod and preparing it for you and printing out templates I can make it very attractive price wise. It would include all the parts necessary for you to finish it. You do not need any metal working tools or experience. If you can turn a screw you can make one.

Salpizz":1nd0erc6 said:
Here's the thing, I'm going to copyright the plans and sell the parts with a template, but since my labor is limited to cutting a rod and preparing it for you and printing out templates I can make it very attractive price wise. It would include all the parts necessary for you to finish it. You do not need any metal working tools or experience. If you can turn a screw you can make one.

I'm in.
I'll admit the costs of the finished products have been prohibitive for me.

They all look like really high quality products that are more then worth the price.
But.. I only butcher for home use, and honestly, just supporting the rabbits is very expensive for a single income working class family.
I'm sure I'm not the only small-time rabbit raiser who would love to own one but just can't seem to fit it into my monthly budget.

It would make a great gift, I mean if you made it from a kit. It's beautiful too. I'm almost afraid to do it :-(

As long as you aren't cutting your own throat financially it would be a great seller. I know we had to make a dislocater from what we had around here.It works but we get a lot of brusing.
.. I know I would buy one if I could. A kit would make it possible for folks like me.

Salpizz":e8pcbadf said:

I did 52 rabbits this past weekend.. and they were older than 20 weeks.. some were 10 pounds and 90 percent were males.. So doing this way was tough and you have to be strong in doing it to.. but it worked. And skinning males at that size and age.. It was very difficult.

does anybody have plans for a simple diy ringer that doesn't need welding?

Trufflelady":2dbfqhae said:
There is a new, less expensive cervical dislocator called a Hopper Popper. The less expensive one costs around $40 and the stainless steel one cost $50.... and it comes with a skinning/butchering station. I purchased one and they are well constructed, and it shipped right away. The Rabbit Wringer tends to have a backlog, last time I checked.

http://theurbanrabbitproject.com/shop/

P.S. 10/4/14 - I have no financial interest in this device. I thought we were talking about dispatching rabbits via a cervical dislocation method like the rabbit wringer since, in this thread, I've seen talk of the broomstick method, homemade welded and wooden wringers, etc. I thought that was the topic, and not an ad for a name brand product. I was just trying to share information like others have shared with me over the years... something I have always appreciated about rabbit owners. I apologize if I broke a rule of offended anyone. :|

This wasn't an ad, it was created BEFORE there was a Hopper Popper, and I was demonstrating the use of the Wringer, since it was the only one available. Yes, the Hopper Popper is less expensive and works just as well, I have both actually! :)

I ordered the wringer and 6 months later still didn't get it they had a huge list it takes awhile to get then i ordered the hopper popper Simalar but cheaper and easier to use then the wringer my friend had . I had to get something my babies where getting to turn into Stew and these are cheaper

http://theurbanrabbitproject.com/shop/stainless-hopper-popper-combo-us-delivery/

Tammy, I'm sorry, but it has NEVER taken more than 12 weeks at the longest. Rabbit Wringer is shipping 3-5 weeks (as stated in the description of the product in the PayPal shopping cart). You said theirs is easier. I cannot see how that can be. Ours is bigger, and adjustable, also the inline design of the rod and shelf makes it even smoother. Our new diy kit will be ready soon, maybe a week or two. Tooling took longer than expected. It will do rabbits and poultry.

Salpizz":1au5mhy8 said:
Our new diy kit will be ready soon, maybe a week or two. Tooling took longer than expected. It will do rabbits and poultry.

I've been wondering about that kit. Could it do very small poultry as well, like say...quail?

Back