Abscessed lung *GRAPHIC*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
While finishing off the herd, I found something gross. Though, not surprising.

Greydoe acted pretty normal, except maybe she breathed a little faster than others. Clean legs, clean eyes, quiet breathing, no snot, but the occasional sneeze. There were a few weeks a while back when she’d get a small smear of blood on her nostril, but it went away when the weather cooled down. Never really said she was hurting.

Yet taking up more than half of her ribcage were numerous abscesses. Most were small, but one was quite large. She only had one functioning lung - the other was…nowhere to be seen. It was completely destroyed by the abscesses, which where fused with her ribs and surrounding flesh. It even ate up part of her diaphragm.

I regret not putting her down when I'd seen the blood. :x Poor girl.

Below the pretty girl are graphic images of the mess I pulled out of her.
IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg

Anyway...thought someone might find that nasty oddity interesting, I guess. Just serves as confirmation that I made the right choice.

Oh boy, that is pretty gruesome. :shock:

It kind of invalidates the claim that rabbits are "such fragile creatures" though. Looking at the photo of her, she appears outwardly to be in perfect health- gleaming coat, bright eyes, good weight- you would never guess by looking at that lovely doe that such ugliness was lurking inside of her. Poor bun. :cry:

I am very sorry for your loss, but you definitely did the right thing in ending her life. I can see by the cleanliness of her cage and the gift of her final meal that she was cherished and had a wonderful life up until the end. You are a good caretaker of your herd.

(((HUGS)))

Did you cut the lumps open to confirm they were full of puss? It seems odd any basic bacterial infection would have caused that and that it wouldn't show outward symptoms. An underlying health problem is possible. I would have concerns about something genetic going on.

Looks like pasteurellosis to me. Maybe in the process of becoming systemic?

As prey animals, rabbits sometimes hide their illness REALLY well. It's not your fault that she wasn't letting on that she didn't feel well.
Thanks for posting it.

Bunnies clearly have a higher pain tolerance than me. :shock:

There was indeed puss inside. I'd popped a couple while tearing it out and white sludge got all over, but I'd rinsed it off. Ick.

Poor thing...that looks quite similar to the abdominal abcesses that I found in that one doe that was dropped off to me. It does look like a lower respiratory or systemic infection with Pasteurella. I am sorry you lost her but it's obvious from your posts and your pictures that she was well cared for and and loved. You did the best you could for her. (((hugs)))

Back