Anyone's litters picture thread!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, strawberry leaves. They are starting to munch on those, oats, plantain leaves and blackberry leaves- whatever they can steal from mama.

Good thing I decided to grab them all and take pictures. One of the dark ones escaped the box and was sitting there cold on the edge of the cage. I think it will be fine. They are so wiggly I had to contain them in one of the hay boxes to take pics. 1 of the darkest 2 is lighter than the other still but really doesn't look blue anymore. Not sure why it's lighter. There's a definite chocolate. Still a mysterious silver and white one.

MUCKY'S BABIES!!!!!!
Less than an hour old.

She had 5, but the one that looked rew was doa. It's not in the picture.
Of the remaining 4, one is a 1/2 sized runt.

It looks like I have two broken blacks, a self black, and a charlie.
The runty one almost looks blue, but I don't think it is. It probably just looks lighter for now because it's less developed.
Kinda surprised that there are no torts in there, but I'm not disappointed, and I'd already discovered that my rew buck was a broken with the test breeding I did earlier, so the charlie kit wasn't unexpected.

Attachments

• GEDC9728.JPG
    GEDC9728.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 1,607
Better pic at a few days old.

Yeah, they have silly ears. :D It'll get even more dramatic as time goes by. Despite the buck's size, he has some traits that should improve on what I have. Giant ears are one of those traits. ;)

Attachments

• GEDC9753.JPG
    GEDC9753.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 1,553
2 black, 1 chocolate, 1 cream(lilac ermine?), 1 grey(blue/black ermine?)

I don't think I can part with any of them. :lol: Maybe if the 2 black chins turn out to be same gender. I think the chocolate is a doe and I can't remember which of the light ones I checked and thought was a buck.

The cream could be chocolate instead of lilac. It just seems so light. The color looks closer to the dam who is lilac ermine. It could darken. :shrug: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:18 pm __________ <br /><br /> I love this litter

Look how tiny they are with tiny little ears

akane":1tylfzzs said:
I love this litter

Me too! You have lots of pretty colors!

Now I'll have to post the v-lops again so we can compare ear sizes. :D
GEDC9813.JPG

Fat little things. Two of them are getting their "shar pei" astrex wrinkles. You can see they aren't thin!
One is a runt, but it's a fat runt. :roll:
I think I'll need to get rid of those curl genes eventually if I ever want to do any real showing with em, because I suspect it makes the hair weaker.

Why are they HUGE!? I dunno!

Attachments

• GEDC9796.JPG
    GEDC9796.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 2,308
I don't think I can part with any.... Forget cages we are going to make an outdoor netherland colony! As soon as my husband stops sighing and complaining. :p:

Yours are a bit better fed than mine but a litter of 5 from a true dwarf would push any netherland doe.

akane":2ntl5l6f said:
I don't think I can part with any.... Forget cages we are going to make an outdoor netherland colony! As soon as my husband stops sighing and complaining. :p:

Mine aren't for sale either.

*rant warning*

In this case.
I suspect it'll take a while before I start getting anything I'd want to put my own name on. I don't really like the way the breed is heading right now, so I might as well invent my own line the way I like. Ears that won't be stepped on or tripped over were part of the original breed concept and it's one of the traits I found attractive about them.
(I always feel so sorry for the odd way my new buck walks because his ears are too long)
Better fur quality (no astrex, I've seen a friend's v-lop buck who's had the fur rubbed off his shoulders by his own ears, and I suspect it contributes to sore hocks.)

And SMALL!!!! They need to be ideal house pets, or there isn't even a point to owning them IMO.

I'm probably going to cross back to mini rex to reduce the size some. I found a MR doe with a great hind quarter and long (but plenty wide) shoulder. We'll see what a few generations gets me...
It seems extreme, but until I get that size down, I can't even pet these guys out!

Well, I really don't enjoy paying $100-$150 each to "see if" they stay small enough .
Especially with the biggest name breeder in the area (arguably, the biggest name in the country right now) selling oversized v-lops to more than just me. ;)
I don't mind paying a fair price for something, but I sure do get angry when it doesn't meet expectations.

*done ranting*

I have some similar stuff to fix in my netherlands while trying to keep small size. We'll see how this generation does but I seem to have improved personality through use of my oversized ND buck and keeping the very small number of true dwarf to then breed further. Enki is son and grandson of Kido who had the best personality I've seen in a buck and was only about a pound. Unfortunately he died of unknown causes while I was out of commission after surgery. I think the size modifiers might be in Enki even if he doesn't throw dwarf genes. Then on Enki's dam's side is Shimo who we were going to turn in to a therapy rabbit for her good personality but she succumbed to pasteurella. Enki is a half pound over show limit but most of my does have thrown peanuts with true dwarf bucks so they have dwarf genes that Enki's potential modifiers might work to keep them smaller than him. It's a bit backward from the usual small buck to brood does and the small litter sizes and some difficulties with birth are a problem doing it this way. So far I have a nice blue otter doe out of a chocolate and Enki and a nice broken chin buck out of a broken sable and a sable marten dwarf son of Enki. I'm waiting to see their adult size.

Mucky is 6 and 1/2 lbs.
(max allowed size for v-lops)

Much bigger than a little dwarf doe. She nursed five and two fosters last time. It's no wonder these 4 are well fed. ;)

Nice job, Tootsie Roll!

I see 1/2 pale and 1/2 dark. What colors do you suppose you have?

My 1/2 lop mixes are...a few days shy of 4 weeks.

I'm taking that walnut leaf away, not feeding it. They always go after those things like they are rabbit candy, but I don't think it's an OK food for kits. ;)

Attachments

• GEDC9829.JPG
    GEDC9829.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 2,248
Zass":16c1ec8g said:
Nice job, Tootsie Roll!

I see 1/2 pale and 1/2 dark. What colors do you suppose you have?

My 1/2 lop mixes are...a few days shy of 4 weeks.

I'm taking that walnut leaf away, not feeding it. They always go after those things like they are rabbit candy, but I don't think it's an OK food for kits. ;)

It looks like one is a harlequin like the father - the other 3 will probably be red or fawn. The dark ones should be black or castor.
I'll update when they get some fur in :)

Latest posts

Back