ah, Craigslist...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
It's not the fabled loop, but I thought I'd share. :roll:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 736
I always hope such people are just knowledgeable about the animal in another language but I knew how to spell guinea pig by 2nd grade. Most attempts to educate yourself on something will get you the spelling and language to talk about it.

I didn't even know Northerland Doris was homeless.............

well, after wiping my keyboard down... katiebear.... i just wanted you to know that ~~~ Dr. Pepper flying out my nose is a bit painful :lol:

hubby had to come over to see what the commotion was ~~ and then he snorted, gagged and laughed all the way back to his chair~!

akane":1jwrzjfp said:
I always hope such people are just knowledgeable about the animal in another language but I knew how to spell guinea pig by 2nd grade. Most attempts to educate yourself on something will get you the spelling and language to talk about it.

I do truly feel sorry for those who can not read well enough to be able to educate themselves, - when I was raising my boys, I told them learning to read well was the most important thing I was teaching them, -I told them, -"once you can read well, you can get the rest yourself".

MamaSheepdog":2mqscnnw said:
michaels4gardens":2mqscnnw said:
"once you can read well, you can get the rest yourself"

Truer words were never spoken.

My formal education was very limited, but I learned to love/ read books, -when homeschooling my kids, it was obvious to me , that they needed a much better basic education , then I could provide, so-- we went to the library a lot [and I found a math tutor, I could trade for labor with] we all learned a lot.
When my second son started going to Chico State [at 16 ] he still tested out of most of his first year classes. - I still wonder ,---is this literacy deficit, we now enjoy a product of the homes children are raised in, the "education system", chemical poisoning from frankenfoods, or just the much lower IQ modern people have. [studies show that the average IQ has dropped from 100 , 50 years ago, to the 85 or 90 we now see around us]
- and ,-if it were not for "spell check", - some of you would certainly be joking about me, ...

studies show that the average IQ has dropped from 100 , 50 years ago, to the 85 or 90 we now see around us
unfortunately this is taken out of context and the national IQ has increased somewhat if the same sort of people tested 50 years ago were the only ones tested today.

This modern statistic includes the mentaly disabled who we're not integrated into the general school system 50 years ago, and far more immigrants who likely have a normal IQ but are not familiar with the American cultural nuances and/or whose second language is English and they have a significant disadvantage in taking the USA standard IQ tests hence bringing the national average down dis-proportionately :(

Unfortunately this statistic is abused far too much to promote fear

There are some intelligent people who simply can not spell because of dyslexia, or other brain disorders. My husband is one of them. A very bright man, who is in a management position, but his brain simply will not spell like the rest of us. Not easy for me to understand as it comes easily to me.

ilovehome":1hjpwt43 said:
There are some intelligent people who simply can not spell because of dyslexia, or other brain disorders. My husband is one of them. A very bright man, who is in a management position, but his brain simply will not spell like the rest of us. Not easy for me to understand as it comes easily to me.

My husband is also dyslexic, and struggles with reading and especially spelling. He has an ability to troubleshoot computers and machines that I find almost unbelievable.

Me..I simply cannot type well. I move too fast and my thoughts jump all over the place.
I intentionally try to type in a way that matches my flow of conversation, but I tend to have disjointed conversations in real life.
:lol: Consequently, most of my own posts have TONS of edits as I try to render them comprehensible.

(Although that CL add is still pretty hilarious, maybe because it looks like it was done on a cell, and I'd be willing to bet that their auto correct wreaked some havoc along with a few badly misspelled words of their own. Otherwise, I couldn't guess how one can capitalize and spell American, but not use the correct forms of meat or cheap. :hmm: )

michaels4gardens":20qmd2hj said:
My formal education was very limited, but I learned to love/ read books, -when homeschooling my kids, it was obvious to me , that they needed a much better basic education , then I could provide, so-- we went to the library a lot [and I found a math tutor, I could trade for labor with] we all learned a lot.

My kids are homeschooled too, but we don't follow a curriculum. We are what are called "Unschoolers" or "Life Learners", and the kids simply follow their interests and learn that way. They all love to read, and the internet makes research laughably simple. :)

michaels4gardens":20qmd2hj said:
I still wonder ,---is this literacy deficit, we now enjoy a product of the homes children are raised in, the "education system", chemical poisoning from frankenfoods, or just the much lower IQ modern people have.

Certainly their home life has a lot to do with it... I see so many people that talk to kids (especially infants and toddlers) using very basic language like they are incapable of understanding words of more than a syllable or two, and who don't let their kids learn new skills when they first show an interest- things like pouring a glass of juice (because they will inevitably spill it and cause a mess)- so they inadvertently thwart them.

But I think most of it is the education system. Most people are unaware of where our current school system comes from. During the Industrial Revolution, a group of American businessmen visited Austria. They were astonished by the placid, obedient population that was content to work in factories all day doing mindless, repetitive work... and wanted that same docile workforce for themselves.

The answer? Condition children from a young age that they must respect authority to the extent that they must ask permission to speak, use the restroom, or get a drink of water; that others know best what they should study (Today, class, we are going to learn about...), that they must respond to bells to mark out their days, that they must repeat a task over and over and over again whether they grasped the concept after the first few problems or not (look at the math sheets kids are forced to do, with hundreds of the same type of problem), and finally, send yet more of this "work" home so that they have even less time to interact with their community or to learn about things of interest to them personally.

There is no natural flow to learning in school- it is too broken up by "periods"- so often times once a child starts grasping a concept, the bell rings, and they have to switch gears to something totally unrelated.

Another big problem is the fact that kids are expected to learn to read (or do math, or whatever) at a certain age, and since they are all developmentally different, the kids that aren't "ready" come away with a lifelong aversion to that particular subject because they feel that they are "stupid" or no good at it. Add to that the fact that they are forced to study subjects that hold no personal interest, making learning a chore not a pleasure, and you can see why they would much rather watch TV or play video games in their spare time.

Yet another detrimental factor is segregating children by age so that they interact only with their "peer group". There isn't a whole lot that a bunch of six year olds can teach each other, but if they were exposed to kids of all ages? Or *gasp!* adults in their community?

The old "one room schoolhouse" was a far better learning environment for students, not only because of the social interaction, but because those that were capable could do more advanced work.

But the biggest factor of all, I think, is that so much of what is taught in school has no practical application for the student. If they have no need of it in daily life, they may retain it until test day, but then they promptly forget it.

Remember the Three Rs? Reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic? Those basic skills- the ability to read, write, and do basic math- is all that really needs to be taught in schools. Once those skills are mastered, I think the student should be free to pursue their own fields of interest. Those that need higher math to attain their goals will learn (and retain!) those skills.

The system that we have in place today fosters mediocrity; kids learn a little bit about a lot of things, but have no in depth knowledge of anything. If each individual were allowed to study what they were interested in we would see an explosion of innovative ideas, scientific breakthroughs, and a blossoming of music and the arts.

ilovehome":20qmd2hj said:
There are some intelligent people who simply can not spell because of dyslexia, or other brain disorders.

...and there are plenty of people with no "disorders" that can't spell... or do calculus... or fix a broken appliance. Just because someone isn't adept in a certain field doesn't make them stupid... we each have our own strengths and weaknesses.

We were allowed all the books we wanted. It's the only thing my mom didn't complain about the cost. We were also never banned from books even when being punished. Now my verbal language skills.... I keep getting diagnosed autistic for a reason.

We do a mishmash of unschooling and curriculum. :)

Our kids are members of three different library systems, and have books checked out from all three pretty much all the time!

Bunny-Wan Kenobi is mildly dyslexic, and I was able to keep putting off teaching him to read until he was able to remember letters from one day to the next. According to the school system, he learned to read "late", and would have been held back and stuck in remedial classes, in spite of the fact that he's quite bright. If I had pushed him before he was ready, I am sure he would hate to read now. Writing and spelling... well, we're getting there. :)

He and his sister can work each subject individually at the speed that works well for them. A big plus, since they are both Aspies.

It's never been much issue but reading right to left always seemed like it would make more sense and letters are the same to me backward. I could still do things the correct way but if you just asked me whether a letter was backward I couldn't tell you without trying to write it. I had difficulty learning right from left directions too and everyone would say to hold up your hands in the shape of an L to tell the correct direction. A right L is the same to me as a left L. I actually love the Japanese writing system. Right to left with kanji that represents a picture more than a word. It's reading in pictures instead of otherwise unrelated marks that come together for a sound that makes a word that makes a picture. So tedious.

Miss M":24raxpcb said:
We do a mishmash of unschooling and curriculum. :)

Bunny-Wan Kenobi is mildly dyslexic, and I was able to keep putting off teaching him to read until he was able to remember letters from one day to the next. According to the school system, he learned to read "late", and would have been held back and stuck in remedial classes, in spite of the fact that he's quite bright. If I had pushed him before he was ready, I am sure he would hate to read now. Writing and spelling... well, we're getting there. :)

He and his sister can work each subject individually at the speed that works well for them. A big plus, since they are both Aspies.

My youngest son was 14 when he came to live with me again, [he had been living with his mom] when he got to my house, I found out he could not read anything more then his name, and a few very small words, when I asked him how he made passing grades in school he said he just listened to what the "teacher" said, and could pass the tests that way, -- BUMMER, --
--when I tried to work with him it was obvious he was dyslexic , and all the letters were a jumbled mess to him, and he was frustrated and felt very "stupid", -[ he is a very intelligent young man]- so-- me working with him was counterproductive, and made him feel worse, [what a mess]--- what was decided was, -- he could have unlimited access to the internet, but could only use the phone for a 1/2 hr a week [unless his mom wanted to talk], he could e-mail / IM all of his friends instead of spending 4 hrs a day on the phone. - in about 6, or 8 months he could read and write, and type a mile a minute, . now he has "completed some "higher education" also--, -- "whatever works"...

Now available on Bakersfield Craigslist:

RARE CHIRPING GUINEA PIG BEAUTIFUL MALE READY FOR ADOPTION!!

Beautiful rare chirping male guinea pig, sweet personality, loves to be handled, loves his veggies, has never bit, loves to watch youtube guinea pig videos on TV, rehoming fee $20.00 to a good home only!

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/pet/4680612709.html

Back