Chocolate Chip

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandits Bunny Farm

Reaction score
So this is my newest rabbit, given to me as a gift. He is a Mini Lop, and I'm not sure if he's a chocolate pointed white or lilac pointed white. He's super cute and relaxed, he fell asleep in my arms yesterday :) his name is Chocolate Chip, But Chip for short

Attachments

• 20140928_104307.jpg
    20140928_104307.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 417
  • 20140928_104520.jpg
    20140928_104520.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 417
:yeahthat:

icon_worthless.gif

Yup he's agouti - probably a chestnut

Mini lops are the most MELLOW rabbit breed I've ever met - they are pretty much bomb proof and it's a real shame they aren't more desirable as pets, maybe fewer rabbits would be rehomed for behaviour issues as I've never known an aggressive one :)

Are you kidding??? ML sell faster than the MR for me <br /><br /> __________ Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:28 am __________ <br /><br /> My friend emailed me his pedigree, and it turns out that he's from the same breeder that I got my mini lops and a mini rex from, AND he would've been my doe's half brother, and he's my buck's half-sister's son. Also, his pedigree says he's... a Broken Pointed White. HOW do you get a "Broken" pointed white? I'm just putting on kintraks that he's agouti himalayan

You get broken pointed whites when you breed a Charlie to any colour rabbit and get some himilayan/pointed white kits that must carry the broken gene :)

Charlies have two broken genes and ALL their offspring will be broken.

Just out of curiosity, what colour were his parents and grandparents ?

His Sire is Broken Seal, His Dam is Sable Steel.

His paternal Grand Sire is Broken Chocolate, His paternal Grand Dam is Seal.

His maternal Grand Sire is REW, His maternal Grand Dam is Broken Black ST Steel.

His Sire's paternal Grand Sire is Broken Lynx, His Sire's Grand Dam is Seal.

His Sire's maternal Grand Sire is Chocolate, His Sire's maternal Grand Dam is Sable Steel.

His Dam's paternal Grand Sire is Chestnut Agouti, His Dam's paternal Grand Dam is Sable Chinchilla.

His Dam's maternal Grand Sire is Black Chinchilla, His Dam's maternal Grand Dam is Broken Chocolate Chinchilla.

Okay, I'm done. That was hard lol :p :lol:

His father could of been a Charlie as you just write it down as broken, or if Chocolate Chip father broken kits on a solid doe it would prove he's a broken :shrug:

But seals and sables are self based so they cannot produce agouti and there must be some mistakes somewhere

Just did some research and apparently a "sable steel" is a sable based silver tipped steel (instead of chinchilla) so this is where the agouti gene came from :p

I love how mini lops can come in every colour possible :mrgreen:

It is pretty neat that there are no ancestors that were himilayan :D just goes to show how recessives can hide for many generations.

well, my ML doe shared the same sire as Chip, and she was black chinchilla (solid), and she gave me broken kits, (but my other buck, the one I bred her with is a broken black steel. I sold their only daughter to a friend so I'm going to ask them if i can borrow her for a breeding, she's a broken black ST steel, and I'll breed her to her dad, keep a doe or 2 and then breed them to both Chip and Oliver, so maybe if Chip is a broken, I'll get charlie kits???)

If his sire has a solid kit then he wasn't a Charlie. There is no way for the breeder to know that Chip is broken unless she test bred him to a solid doe ( or if he has some obvious broken markings in his pointed areas but he doesn't)

The broken gene is (incompletely) dominant so it cannot hide in your black chin doe even though her father was broken.

If Chocolate Chip is broken and

- you breed him to a solid you should get 50% solid, 50% broken kits (or pointed whites that are really broken) and 0% Charlie's

- you breed him to a broken you should get 25% solid, 50% broken and 25% Charlie (who have 2 broken genes)

There are some health issues that seem to be associated with Charlie rabbits - mega colon, digestive and neurological issues and most people try not to breed for them.

well, I'm not exactly breeding "for" them, but broken Mini Lops are the only thing I can get my hands on. If I still had Olivia, then I could breed Chip to Olivia and see if I got broken kits. but right now the only doe in my reach right now are broken.

Olivia was the black chin doe. And I would breed him to her but she died the beginning of August

__________ Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 pm __________

Can you tell me whether or not he's show quality? if he is I want to show him next month. If he's not... then I'll still probably bring him to show him off lol :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:21 pm __________ <br /><br /> Do you think Chip is Show Quality???

Attachments

• 20140930_125837.jpg
    20140930_125837.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140930_125858.jpg
    20140930_125858.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140930_125907.jpg
    20140930_125907.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140930_125923.jpg
    20140930_125923.jpg