Oakland Zoo Rabbit Colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
My husband and I take our daughter to the Oakland Zoo every Christmas Eve when we travel off the mountain and into the Bay Area and this time I thought of taking pictures of the zoo rabbit colony! I can't see using a colony in my space or with my angoras, but maybe this will give some of you some inspiration!

They have about a 30' x 15' yard space on a hill next to a small building with a "cat door" installed on the side; no doubt to let the rabbits out in the morning and in at night. It looks like they built a concrete hill with a few terraced landings and a few tunnels in between. The short wooden fence is attached to the concrete walls that look to be buried under all the grass and dirt terracing. So basically a concrete slab with concrete walls to prevent escapes and then topped off with short wood and wire fences so you can see through. I couldn't tell what breeds they had... Probably mutts. But they were cute all the same!

20121225-213925.jpg

20121225-213934.jpg

I love going to the Oakland Zoo. The rabbits are one of my favorite places. We try to go there every few months. Theyre supposed to be expanding the zoo over the next couple of years. They just added Coatimundi. Theyre so cute. They're in between where the sunbears and the.....bobcats are (or at least where they used to be)

And you wonder where people get the idea that "Thumper" can be set free and live a much happier life :groooan:

The pilgrims tried to colonize North America with European rabbits and it didn't work - THANK GOODNESS or we'd be dealing with the problems Australia has and building 2,000 mile fences to keep them out!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

PS that is longer than the USA / Mexican border :D

That is quite a beautiful habitat! It must be relaxing to watch the bunnies there. :)

I can see Dood's point, though... our domesticated rabbits are European rabbits -- the ones that build warrens. They can't build a warren in that enclosure, because of the concrete.

Back