Furbaby braggings!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love to brag on my furbabies! Join me!
I have bred shih tzus for 6 years. I also bred Boston terriers and bulldogs! Right now I have a 10 week old blue shih tzu! She will be too small to show, but perfect for loving! I also have a boston terrie that was supposed to be pick of litter from my male. Ended up being "I sold all but this blind one so he's yours. He's only 5 weeks old and she left him with me a week ago...

Oh Man. Pick of the litters means first pick, as in, before anyone else even gets a look at them.

I guess you know who NOT to deal with in the future, right?

My critters are all working animals. Not that they get any less love, it's just that I have to convince my sponsor (aka...Husband) that I NEED every single one of them.

2 dogs to protect our home and property. A very old Pitbull, and a big goofy Newfoundland. The most protection they can muster is the odd bark, but it's enough. :roll: Dogs are also good at using their noses and ears to find things I might not otherwise sense. I'm a head-in-the-clouds type...so it helps to have the boys here to let me know when something is happening. :lol:

2 cats to keep the rodent population down. A big fluffy house cat with a mean attitude, and a 3 legged declawed stray who's taken to calling this place home. He's the best mouser and chipmunk catcher in the neighborhood. If one cat ever earned it's keep it that guy. He's pictured here: http://bunnehspammin.deviantart.com/art/Pod-481754323

LOTS of rabbits. Meat rabbits and pet bunnies....I'm never really sure exactly how many. I lost track a couple years ago. :-? If someones asks, I usually say "a lot, but most are babies."

The rabbits are here to produce high quality protein for us humans, and the rest of the critters who eat meat.

The pet bunnies (velveteen lops). Heh, they are the closest to free loaders here, since I'm not really sure WHY EXACTLY I'm raising them. But they are so darn CUTE and lovable! Even the husband had been charmed by them. so, I don't have to justify those guys. :D

5 chickens to lay eggs. :egghatch: One's a pullet and ones a rooster...I think...So we might be down to 4 chickens soon.

7 quail to...well I dunno. They haven't done anything except moult since they got here. I hope I won't have to wait until spring to see some eggs from the little guys.

I've got my mini mutt, who more than earns his keep - he's my bunny herder, my baby warmer, my bed warmer and my best friend. He's a great watch dog, great with kids, and smart as all get out. He's a shih tzu x long hair chihuahua and just an all round good dog.

Then there's the 2 cats. Can't say I particularly love them, and they don't add anything, really. One's too fat and old to do any sort of mousing, and the other is too well fed to really do more than stalk prey. I do get the occasional field mouse or mole dropped on the doorstep, but more often than not they only contribute hair balls to the carpet.

Then there's the rabbits. As of this writing, there are... 4 lionhead bucks, 5 lionhead does, 1 holland lop buck, 2 holland lop does, one NZR buck, 1 NZW doe, 2 broken black meat mutts and 20 kits between the ages of 2wks and 14wks(9 hollands, 2 NZ's and 9 meat mutts)... But that number fluxuates rapidly(the 2 meat mutts leave this weekend, and I'm getting a NZR doe in exchange, I have to butcher 2 grow outs for an order for fresh meat on Saturday, and 2 of the LH bucks are going to either be sold or butchered). The small breeds pay for the rabbitry, and occasionally contribute to the freezer, whereas the meat rabbits are just a money pit who provide fun kits to play with and meat for myself, my dog, my family and my friends.

And that's it. I don't have anything really all that different or interesting, I'm afraid. But I love each and every one of my critters, even the hairball factories.

Oh! And I have 2 bettas. I got them because I was sick of my fish tanks sitting around empty and not selling. I have a white grizzle half moon male and a mustard yellow crowntail male. They live in a split 5g tank.

Bad Habit: each one is different and very special! I love showing dogs. What makes it awesome is that even though some breeds all look exactly alike to an untrained eye (this can apply to any animal!) its their personality that really sets them apart! If you have the perfectly marked and structured dog with a shy personality, you will lose almost evertime to a less perfect dog with a "showy" personality. This being said, just because someone else has the same breed, doesnt mean yours isnt special! You would be suprised how many rescues i have gotten that were purebred but given up due to them not being just like the neighbors dog of the same breed. :|
Most animal owners train their animals without knowing so i bet yours have been too! That makes them even more special! I just love my babies! ( both furred and human!) Thanks for sharing tidbits of your "furbabies"!
I have owned red tail boas before! Im thinking about getting another one. I am one of the only rt boa "sexers" in hot springs apparently.... Anyway, I am a dog trainer as well so if you have problems i may be able to help!

Ahhh.. So many.. Actually not right now, lol

3 rabbits: 1 silver fox mutt, and 2 holland lops. The Hollands can't be shown but are my to-be brood does. The silver fox is a free loader. I want to find a female bun to breed meat mutts but can't find one. Might end up breeding to my 4h leaders doe since they have silver foxes too.

Chickens: no idea really how many chickens I have. I own... 12 I think? Maybe 15? 2 are serama hens I will be breeding to my rooster, and 2 are chicks that are being raised by a mom. I'm also baby sitting another guys chickens over winter and he has 15. I will be getting 15 more from another guy for the winter as well.

2 dogs. Both cattle dogs, one is half corgi though. Love them both to pieces. The purebred girl is about 7/8 now, and the corgi one is 2 - 1/2. We got the corgi from the pound when our last cattle dog got hit by a truck & died, otherwise our dogs would be closer in age.

2 cats. 1 13 year old (I think...) who we've had forever. She's declawed (not my idea...) and isn't very sweet but has earned her keep. Our other one is a 11 year old dude who we just got last winter. He's declawed too (came declawed) and is lazy as poo. He enjoys going on walks though! It's funny, he'll follow you in the morning.

2 parrots. 1 lovebird & 1 green cheek conure. Both are sweeties.

I think that's everything we have.... We usually have more. We will be getting a sheep this winter, possibly 2. And we want goats again.

I am actually down on my number of animals right now :(

Only 2 lionhead rabbits at this time, both bucks. Hopefully will be getting some more meat rabbits soon, and a lionhead doe.
12 chickens and a turkey (who will be dinner soon :mrgreen: )
2 cats, Boo and Liberty
2 rats
1 budgie

and my favorite animals (sorry rabbits).... 4 shelties! a 10 year old bi-blue male, almost 8 bi-black girl- retired show champion, 5 year old sable male- kids 4H obedience dog, and Summer 3 year old bi-blue brat :lol:

I have raised a total of 10 guide dog puppies, the most recent just went in for formal training in July. Taking a break from that since raising a puppy while pregnant didn't sound like fun to me :lol: We will be raising another pup though as soon as the baby gets a little older, maybe when he is a year old.

I guess I'll start with the biggest and work down from there. :)

4 horses:

Netta, a grey foundation bred QH mare
Her son Zephyr, a chestnut gelding
BeachBoy, a sorrel Paint with flaxen mane and tail and two blue eyes
and Marley, a blue roan Nakota Mustang mare.

7 dogs:

Basil a bi-black shorthaired female Aussie and Border Collie cross
Levi, a blue merle male Aussie
Their daughters;
Switch, a shorthaired very lightly marked (almost cryptic) merle
Hermione, a long haired blue merle
Sherlock, a male black tri Aussie (sire to Switch and Hermione's litters)
Nematode, my little "street dog", who is a female terrier mix
and finally, Atlas, a male Papillon.

3 turkeys destined to be dinner

13 ducks, some of which will be dinner

11 chickens

5 barn cats

2 house cats

1 ancient Pakistan Leopard Gecko (she is either 25 or 27... I can't quite remember how old I was when I got her...)

3 Zebra Danios

9 puppies born to Switch 4 days ago, plus a litter of 5 pups born (today!) to my friend's mini Aussie out of her 13 year old Border collie. Mom and pups are here at my house since I am a stay at home mom, and we are going to use the money from the puppy sales of that litter to go toward our Texas Convention trip!

And I have a few rabbits as well... :roll:

20 Rex does
6 Rex bucks
10 Rex Juniors
15 Rex kits

12 Satin does
2 Satin bucks
18 Satin Juniors

10 Mini Rex does (some are juniors)
4 Mini Rex bucks (1 for sale)

1 Beveren doe

1 "Leonis Rex" doe
4 Leonis Rex juniors

3 to butcher (2 Satins and 1 Rex)

Oh! And 6 Lilac kits fostered to a MR doe.
Several does are due to kindle, so the numbers will be going up. :p

I want to brag a bit on my Molly, a German Shepard who's almost two years old.

Molly loves to ride with me in the truck- we go a lot of places together. Recently, we were riding the back roads on our way home from errands. Molly was lying down in the back seat (the whole back seat :)), when I noticed a beat up SUV behind us. As I made my turns heading home, the SUV stayed behind us. I then noticed the guy in the SUV kept...watching me, is the only way to describe it. I started to get nervous, as I had not brought my pistol with me. The SUV kept getting closer to my bumper, and it began to seem like he was waiting for a spot in the road to pull around me and he was gesturing a lot to the passenger next to him.

At this point, Molly must have sensed my nervousness. She got up and looked out the back window. That was all it took- the SUV backed off and took the next turn off away from us. The guys in the SUV went from seeing an older lady alone in the boonies, to a lady (not scary) and a BIG German Shepard (very scary). Especially after Molly yawned :)

Marinea":1z9bs3ga said:

Molly loves to ride with me in the truck- we go a lot of places together. Recently, we were riding the back roads on our way home from errands. Molly was lying down in the back seat (the whole back seat :)), when I noticed a beat up SUV behind us. As I made my turns heading home, the SUV stayed behind us. I then noticed the guy in the SUV kept...watching me, is the only way to describe it. I started to get nervous, as I had not brought my pistol with me. The SUV kept getting closer to my bumper, and it began to seem like he was waiting for a spot in the road to pull around me and he was gesturing a lot to the passenger next to him.

At this point, Molly must have sensed my nervousness. She got up and looked out the back window. That was all it took- the SUV backed off and took the next turn off away from us. The guys in the SUV went from seeing an older lady alone in the boonies, to a lady (not scary) and a BIG German Shepard (very scary). Especially after Molly yawned :)

OMG!!!!! I believe in angels and believe that some come with fur instead of wings just so they can be closer to us for protection!!! Sounds like Molly is yours! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:46 am __________ <br /><br />
Marinea":1z9bs3ga said:

OMG!!!!! I believe in angels and believe that some come with fur instead of wings just so they can be closer to us for protection!!! Sounds like Molly is yours!

Marinea":2ld8i70f said:

Molly sounds wonderful!

It's amazing how much safer a dog can make you feel. Any dog helps some, but the bigger the better :)
Well, it's not just a feeling. Predators pick out easy targets, and people with dogs are less so than those without.
My dogs are valuable to me because they seem to totally lack prey drive. The pitbull ignores everything that isn't me, and the Newf is a nurturer. Figured it was about time to post some pics of our Epic Drake for MSD.

100_7848.JPG
GEDC0172 (2).JPG

momofninjababy wrote: OMG!!!!! I believe in angels and believe that some come with fur instead of wings just so they can be closer to us for protection!!! Sounds like Molly is yours!

Oh, what happens when they have FUR AND WINGS? Because I have one of those somewhere...
100_7517.JPG

Oh, what happens when they have FUR AND WINGS? Because I have one of those somewhere...[/quote]

Double protetction of course! Lol. Love the picture!! :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am __________ <br /><br />
Oh, what happens when they have FUR AND WINGS? Because I have one of those somewhere...[/quote]

Double protetction of course! Lol. Love the picture!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back