Hurricane, Lava on the way and the Flu

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
So I've not been on much. I've not bred my rabbits in a while. I've got 3 litters still to put into the freezer. Sigh.

We made it through the hurricane great. Now the lava is headed down the mountain. Our neighborhood should be okay, I'm about 3 miles from the lava. We smell the burning forest and a little other yuck smells but so far that's it. We're not in an evacuation area thank goodness.

I got the flu for the first time, it's been well over a week and am still not recovered. Saw the doc day before yesterday and he wanted me to to go hospital, but I have to many animals to take care of. I'm having heart trouble from not enough volume due to dehydration. My heart hurts. My chest hurts. I've lost about 10 pounds that I couldn't afford to lose. I'm a pretty small gal to begin with. I went from 120 to just under 110. The fever is finally staying steady at 100. It was all over the place making me more miserable. My joints felt like they were being pulled apart by a torture stretching machine. It hurt for anyone to even touch my skin. I really have never been that sick. Scared me, scared my husband.

Hubby is bringing home some ensure today to see if I can keep that in. So far the only thing that has stayed in (one end or the other) has been rooster that I cooked last night. lol All the things you would think would be good have caused my stomach to hurt so bad like glass daggers exploding. crackers, toast, can't eat any of that. Not even store bought soup. Though I've been sipping on home made broth.

So anyway thats it in a nutshell. My daughter, who normally would be helping me out, is at college. So I'm trying to get through as much of the chores as I can during the day and hubby helps when he gets home. But the farm is not his "thing" and he tries so hard.... But you know how it is.

Hey Dayna!

I was just thinking about you yesterday!

That flu sounds awful! :eek: I'm sick too- actually the whole family is- but it is more of a respiratory thing that started with a sore throat and then headed to the sinuses and lungs. Hearing your description makes me thankful that I have this instead of what you have. :roll:

I hope you feel better soon! And if you take any pics of the lava flowing, we would love to see it. :)

Aww, Dayna. So sorry things aren't going well for you.

*fingers crossed you feel better soon and that the lava stays away*

Oh, Dayna, I have had the flu that bad before! :eek: It is so horrible!

Dehydration can be treated in just a few hours at the hospital. Once you get to a certain point, you really can't drink enough to rehydrate your body. Please consider going to the hospital. You are risking clots, stroke, embolism, and even heart attack. :(

If your animals don't do without you for a short time now, they may be doing without you for a long time.

I too have been wondering why we haven't heard much from you since the hurricane. I know you probably had plenty of "clean up" work to do but...

Get your butt to the hospital! Miss M is telling you how it is;
Miss M":2j8tct1s said:
...Dehydration can be treated in just a few hours at the hospital. Once you get to a certain point, you really can't drink enough to rehydrate your body. Please consider going to the hospital. You are risking clots, stroke, embolism, and even heart attack. :(...

Been there, done that and have the scar to prove it! A heart attack, even a mild one, is NO fun. I could have avoided mine 4 years ago when I was sick by going in for just a few hours of IV fluid. Please take care of yourself!
bunny_nurse.jpg

Dayna, so sorry to hear all that you are going through just now. That flu sounds truly horrible. :cry:

I agree with the others that a few hours of IV fluids could make all the difference. At the very least, get some electrolytes into your system-- Pedialyte or a similar product. You can even make a homemade one like we do for the rabbits. It might help some.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/0 ... pedialyte/

I hope so much that you are feeling better soon. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Dayna - hope you're doing better. I had the flu once - when I was in my 20's and in college. They wanted to put me in the hospital but the doctors decided they couldn't do much more for me there than the care I was getting in the dorm. It was horrible - never been so sick before or since. Of course, that was many years ago and there are more and better medicines now.

MSD - I'm just getting over that "respiratory thing" you mentioned. Here locally it's being called the "Honduran Flu". Seems to be going through the schools and now workplaces. Same symptoms - sore throat, then sinuses, then chest. Not sure what it is - just took care of it with rest and OTC medications. It lasted about the same as a cold so I figure that's what it was - just some new strain of viral germ. Anyway, hope you're feeling better.

BTW - I get my flu shot tomorrow. One of the local hospitals is giving them out free.

Take care.

My cousins were talking on facebook about a super virus going around. One almost lost her baby. He's been on nebulizer treatments, antibiotics, and steroids for weeks and in and out of the hospital. Since it's a virus all they can do is keep him hydrated and breathing in the hope he can fight it off.

Well I had my first real meal last night. I'm still drinking most of my food but am managing to try to eat some solids. This morning I had half an egg and a piece of bacon for breakfast. Ensure for lunch and again for dinner.

My chest is feeling better. Thanks everyone.

We had a ton of ash today from the fires from the lava. Made it feel so much more real.

The lava is at about the same elevation as me right now, maybe 100 feet higher. What happened yesterday was a breakout fire. So far the lava has only been burning what was in it's path, making for very little fire/ash. Yesterday we had a breakout fire and it started burning the forest. For a while the lava changed direction and was headed right for us, which was a bit scary, but it re directed back the way it was going. So many people are getting ready to be cut off. They are doing a couple of evac routes but it's hard to explain. There is only 1 road from Pahoa (the town that will be cut off) and Hilo (the nearest big city where most of those folks work). The lava will be going across that road, we are not sure just where yet, but the road is on the way to the lava reaching the ocean.

So they are putting in some dirt/emergency roads going the opposite direction towards a town called Volcano. Anyway, for folks who have to drive into Hilo for work, what was a 45 minute commute is going to be more like 3-4 hours. So many folks are having to move out of Pahoa and camp or are homeless just so that they can work. Pahoa is only 5 minutes away from my house, but when it's cut off it'll be a 5 hour drive to get there. Not because of distance only, but because much of the road will be dirt roads and slow going.

Many businesses will shut down due to lack of being able to get new supplies in. The lava is headed straight towards the towns only major grocery store and the towns landfill, post office, schools, etc. This town is going to be totally devastated even though much of the town will be intact without damage.

There is talk of doing some sort of a ferry, but what most folks don't understand is that this is open ocean. It's not like taking a ferry from NY to Staten Island. It's very dangerous waters and even the huge barges run into trouble some times. There is no barge port in Pahoa that I know of, so all supplies will have to be boated in on a smaller boat or trucked in on that long horrible road, going through Volcanos national park. I'm still not sure how that will work. It's $10 to get into Volcanos National park. Are the going to wave the fee for residents? How will they know who lives in Pahoa or not (roughly 8,000 people). What about bus service? What about medical care for the elderly or sick? There is no hospital or Urgent care in Pahoa. There is maybe not even a doctors office, I know of a physical therapy place.

The problem is that a lot of these questions are not being addressed by our leaders. They seem to think that folks can just "evacuate". But to where? What happens to the little old lady who lives alone in her house with no tv that doesn't even know the lava is coming? Who has no where to go but needs medical care? What about the homeless population in Pahoa, there is a large on there. How will our children get an education if the lava takes out the school or goes close to the school rendering it unusable? What about power when the lava goes over the land that the power lines sit on?

The lava is expected to hit Pahoa in 8-14 days. And many of these questions are not answered. I'm so thankful I'm on the "right" side of the lava flow.

Sorry for the rant, it's just horrible here right now.

If anyone has a right to a rant, Dayna, it is you. Rant away!

The situation does sound horrible -- and scary. By the sounds of it, even of the lava doesn't do as much damage as is feared, it will still be a long, long time before life will be back to normal. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and hoping for the best.
:clover: :clover: :clover:

Sorry you've taken a turn for the worst :(

This is lava flow stuff is fascinating to me.

Here is a US Geological Society map of the probable flow of the lava :) the blue lines are the lowest areas and the flow can be 100 to 1300 feet wide :shock:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/uploads/image-126.jpg

I'm not sure if you've experience a disaster like this before but do you know how long it will take the lava flow too cool so they can repair/rebuild the road?

Dood, no one know how long it'll take for the lava to cool because no one knows when it'll stop flowing. The lava will keep flowing under the crust until the place it's coming from either runs out of lava or there is a different breakout relieving pressure on this flow. Or it could run out tomorrow and the flow could stop where it is.

No one knows, hypothetically it could go for years, many flows have.

Back