How do you clean "used" water bottles?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
I have a bunch of used 32 oz bottles that I got. Some are NASTY inside... not sure if it's dirt or something growning inside. I've sprayed water in them, soap, etc, but nothing cleans them out. I'd like to use them, but not in the shape they are in. I don't want to make my rabbits sick.

So what's the best way to CLEAN the insides so that the crap stuck to the walls inside cleans out. Soak in bleach for a few days?????

Suggestions please.

Thank yoU!!!!!!

I have found that bottle brushes are not really effective with the larger bottles because the openings are so small and the bottle diameter so large that the bristles can't reach the sides. I did just buy some kind of duster-wand thing from the $ Store and am going to try that, but I think the "floss" will be too gentle to do much.

Dood":1vvv1me5 said:
ome fine gravel or coarse sand swirled around can dislodge quite a bit.

This has worked best for me, although I haven't tried sand. I have tried all kinds of other things- dried peas, rice, airsoft bbs, steel bbs- but have found that the processed oyster shell for poultry (which looks like little pebbles) works best for me because of its irregular shape. Just add some to the bottle along with water (and bleach if you like) and shake and swirl vigorously to dislodge the algae.

Thanks everyone!!! I read you comments to my wife and she said "We have aquarium gravel. Try that."

I couldn't wait to get outside this morning (44 degrees out) and try it. It worked GREAT!!! I now have 3 bottles that are "almost" like brand new!

You guys are the best!!!!!! :D :D :D

another trick is to soak them in bleach water... that gets rid of a lot of ick and then use rice or something small and rough and that will take care of the problem as well.

Back