Looking for Specific Answer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I've seen it posted all over the place where people are wondering how many bucks they need, but I've never seen the topic covered with specific answers. It's always the broad doe to buck ratio. I've seen a thousand times that that a buck will take care of 8 does, but this doesn't take into account how many times he covers a doe, how many are bred at a time, or how many days in a row he is used. So, here is my scenario and I'm hoping someone here has more in depth knowlege. :D

I plan on going to a 28 day breed back (from 14) with 100 does, divided into 2 groups. If I plan to breed 50 does over the course of three days, allowing each doe to be covered 3x (not planning to return the doe to the buck), how many does can a buck cover each day without lowering my conception rate? Can I use him all three days without lowering my conception rate? Does anyone know how many 'hits' a buck can have before his sperm is no longer as viable and how long it takes before his sperm count is back up?

Pfaubush, that's Paula right?
I believe that question can only truly be answered by the Buck in question.
However, I will say this:
with a proper balance of nutrition a well fed [not overfed] Buck
should be able to service at least three Does a day, with a rest
for one day in between. You really don't want to work your Buck into
oblivion. I would opt for Two Bucks if you are planning to constantly breed,
but even your Does will not be able to be bred back to back to back to back.
They will need a rest now and then. Your Does will also get burnt out sooner
due to constant breeding and rearing of Kits.
You might want to go One Buck for every five Does but this will bring up the cost of feed.
Perhaps you should start more slowly and grow from withing. This way you can
make an assessment and draw your own conclusions as to what is lacking.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

the question comes one of the minimum number for the maximum genetic diversity, as you figure that the fat guy does 15 seconds of work 3 times a month...

Yes, Dennis, it's Paula. I don't intend on doing this over night, however, by end of summer I intend to have gone from the 40 does that I currently have to 100. I don't plan on purchasing any stock (unless I find something spectacular)...it will all come from my lines. I am trying to get a good handle on exactly what steps to take and where I need to go with my breedings right now. Until December, I was very buck heavy so it was never an issue. With as many does as I plan on having, I certainly can't afford to be buck heavy again, but can't afford to be short either.

You would need less if you spread the breeding days out to 5-7 days instead of 3 days. 5 days 10 does a day 2 different bucks each day covering 5 does each with a days rest in between, would be a minimum of 4 bucks. I would bump that up to 2 more just to be safe. Like ottersatin says it has a lot to do with the individual buck, some are good workers and some just not as much. That is probably why there are no definitive answers to this question as there really are so so many variables involved. I also feel that the bucks do need a bit of care with extra nutrition etc. if they are heavily used as it really does take a fair amount out of them in a heavy breeding schedule.

Paula,
to build your Herd from inside:
Retain the two best Doe and very best Buck from each litter
if there are that many. Whatever you do, always retain only
the very best of the offspring to build your herd.
When necessary, cull those that don't grow to your expectations.
In the beginning you must be quite cutthroat.
You cannot keep rabbits on the Cute factor or they licked my finger.
You must go by type, color and conformation.
All good things come to those who wait!

Thank you Dennis. If I kept the 2 best out of every litter, I would be up to my goal by April. I don't think I want to move that quickly. I'm pretty finicky when keeping anything for stock. :)

pfaubush":2go62qeg said:
Thank you Dennis. If I kept the 2 best out of every litter, I would be up to my goal by April. I don't think I want to move that quickly. I'm pretty finicky when keeping anything for stock. :)

In most cases you will not have two does and maybe not even one Doe or Buck in each litter.
All I am saying is that whatever you retain as future breeders should be
only the very best in type, color and fur.
Keep only those that you can properly maintain. You will eventually be able to
cull those which have some weakness in their constitution.
These things take years, nothing happens overnite, and things/members
in a rabbit Herd seem to be constantly changing.
If you don't move some out as they are replaced with something better
change will never come.

Latest posts

Back